FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
With the right rider, it can be 3rd in the 2007 Iron Butt Rally.
Stock fuel tank?

I wont ride distance with someone on a bike with a tank that small. Or a bike that slow. Once I hit the open spaces of the western states its 80 to 90 mph and hours between stops.

Many of the freeways out here are posted 75mph and few go that slow.It is far too dangerous to be passed at 15mph for hours on end.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I know Mike, but we are taking our time. 2 day run to get there plus we will have a few trucks and trailers in the group. Not a race, and if anyone falls behind or gets WAY WAY far ahead (ME!!!) we all have communication between ourselves and know the days stopping spot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Currently waiting on all parts to be delivered~(Tires, CCT, Gaskets, oil filter and comfort stuff) I want to do the CCT first so I can properly flush radiator with Vinegar and distilled water without risking it. I don't hear any funny noise from the right side but sometimes hear a ticking that seams to be coming more from the left side to me. Hard to explain, some searches lead me to believe that's just a normal sound others not so much. I just would hate to have something terrible happen at this point because I didn't have the patience. I messed around with the suspension yesterday but have yet to ride it just for above mentioned reasons. One positive thing I noticed was the FO had it set up equally atleast. Front and back were both set towards the harder side but left and right fork adjustments were all even. Right now I went with maybe 2 clicks towards soft from standard because I only weigh 150 lbs. I will tweek it from there.

Plan on insulating the tank with some kind of heat shield stuff, I'll see whats available when I grab all fluids tomorrow. I am considering doing the "Barbarian" mod while I am doing everything else. It has been my experience that every motorcycle I have even worked on from the factory comes lean. It would be nice to be able to adjust that for the potential cooling alone. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
262 Posts
K .. first of all.... There is no such thing as practicing in SHORTS for gods sake ! ..so you admit to your self that you need price... therefore the highest chance of ever crashing...an your brain tells you SHORTS a good idea?? sounds like you and your brother ..... ....:)

any way enough jokes..I dont know what direction you are coming from to hit Sturgis but some stretches are far between gas stops ..I suggest you AND your brother each carry a gallon of gas for him... his range is about 90 miles??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was waiting for someone to jump in with that!!! I know, I know, but the practice area is not far from my house and it's a abandoned strip mall parking lot. But I do get the point, honestly I do. I would hate to go down period, but without proper riding gear it would be 10'xs worse at any speed would be my guess.

Yeah, about 100 miles per tank he gets.....I see the problems, he doesn't!!! Even the Denali trailering 2 bikes will need to stop once to his 3x's. Thank god there are females coming with their typical I need to pee breaks otherwise my brother and I maybe the ones being left behind. We do plan on carrying some gas between us, just haven't figured out the logistics of it. Fly by the seat type of trip for sure!!! I mean I just got my bike Saturday, doing all required maintenance and tire changes this week. Him on the Sporty.....but what the ****. We get in over our heads we can always come home w/ our tails tucked between our legs.

BTW, leaving from Milwaukee and planning on staying overnight in Minnesota.

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
Stock fuel tank?

I wont ride distance with someone on a bike with a tank that small. Or a bike that slow. Once I hit the open spaces of the western states its 80 to 90 mph and hours between stops.

Many of the freeways out here are posted 75mph and few go that slow.It is far too dangerous to be passed at 15mph for hours on end.
And Iron Butt Rallier WITHOUT aux fuel? Oh, the humanity! >:)

As for a 90 mile range... stay on the East Coast. You need more than 150 on some stretches out west. Mass Gold had a route with 250 miles between available gas.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I don't hear any funny noise from the right side but sometimes hear a ticking that seams to be coming more from the left side to me. Hard to explain, some searches lead me to believe that's just a normal sound others not so much.
A loose CCT is not a tick. Do you remember the KerPlunk game, when all the marbles would fall? Double the volume and make it continuous.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
At least you can have gas cans in the chase trailers.

How fast will sportster man ride? Is he up to doing 70 for hours on end? If you are planing 2 days you will have to do 400 miles a day. Including stops for fuel that would have to be about 70mph to average 50. That translates to 8 hours at 70mph.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was waiting for someone to jump in with that!!! I know, I know, but the practice area is not far from my house and it's a abandoned strip mall parking lot. But I do get the point, honestly I do. I would hate to go down period, but without proper riding gear it would be 10'xs worse at any speed would be my guess.

Yeah, about 100 miles per tank he gets.....I see the problems, he doesn't!!! Even the Denali trailering 2 bikes will need to stop once to his 3x's. Thank god there are females coming with their typical I need to pee breaks otherwise my brother and I maybe the ones being left behind. We do plan on carrying some gas between us, just haven't figured out the logistics of it. Fly by the seat type of trip for sure!!! I mean I just got my bike Saturday, doing all required maintenance and tire changes this week. Him on the Sporty.....but what the ****. We get in over our heads we can always come home w/ our tails tucked between our legs.

BTW, leaving from Milwaukee and planning on staying overnight in Minnesota.
tell him to think of it this way .... you go 55 miles and then see a sign that says NEXT service stop 48 miles ( many like that in WY on I-90)
Northern OR has a spot with 165 miles between ( I got lucky my first time through) the second time I had a 2 gallon can with me and a ATV rider sold me some gas 2 gal 20 I was happy to pay him!) if I remember right SD has 50 mile breaks between stops.... bring 2 full cans or pay for it when you have to run ahead to a station and bring back gas!
I have been to sturgis 4 times ( NEVER during the rally ..never will ) .. rooms will triple in price 200 miles out .... hope you already have some ??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

How fast will sportster man ride? Is he up to doing 70 for hours on end? If you are planing 2 days you will have to do 400 miles a day. Including stops for fuel that would have to be about 70mph to average 50. That translates to 8 hours at 70mph.
He routinely runs 80 on our spedos until he needs to refuel. Not sure how he does it but he does, so I'm figuring a 60 mile a hour average for distance traveled. That's about 1:30-2 hours w/ his bike if he doesn't stop. The trailer queens have had reservations for months. But the main guy is a type A personality for sure so me and my bro figure we will break off from the pack.....and we are fully prepared to do so. It's on our bucket list and we kinda are hard core, dont mind sleeping on a hammock if need be and get back on the road. Plus we are grown men, if it's too much we will turn our happy butts right around and head home. Probably at a much slower pace!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts

When riding my 73 Sporty 1000 (Buckhorn bars, Corbin button&Tucked seat, king/queen seat and king tank - no shield) my jacket caught the wind like a sail and summer was too warm to zip it all the way up. It had an electronic tach (aftermarket) and no speedo. My carpooler passed me on the way to work one day so I got a report on actual speed. Speed limit 65mph. My speed, 55mph (and holding on against the sail).

Have him take a serious, 250-350 mile day trip soon so he can figure out if a fly screen or other things are needed before launch date.

I have been to Sturgis 4 times ( NEVER during the rally ..never will ) .. rooms will triple in price 200 miles out
Same here (probably more if you could "passing through"). The closest I ever got to rally time was 2 weeks prior and it was already a mess. Jacked up prices, idiots already riding -10 in a 25 mph zone, and more.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Nunia, my advice, fix what needs fixin before you leave including the CCT. Then enjoy your trip ! It’s an adventure and you get to do it with your brother, enjoy that time together ! What year Sporty is he riding ? I hope it’s a 2006 or newer that they balanced, they’re pretty smooth and way more reliable, pre 2006 I don’t know how he could ride it at highway speeds for any amount of time, my arms & hands would be asleep quickly on the older one’s, but some can do it.

Like I said though, just go & have fun, you’re a wrencher so fixing a problem should be doable and if it’s to bad, find a local dealer & trade it in, just have some fun. Take some pictures and post them ! Just be careful of some of the “types” that you’ll run into as they’ll be the only thing to worry about, otherwise just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
He routinely runs 80 on our spedos until he needs to refuel. Not sure how he does it but he does,!
Well that is good. The only thing worse than someone riding a bike with 100 mile range when you have to make good time is that person riding slow.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’m usually pretty quite on the board but your enthusiasm is really genuine and makes me smile 😊 It is really cool to see your enthusiasm about this bike as that is how we all felt when it hit the US market....way back when.

I’ve owned 4 FJRs beginning with one of the 1st ones in the US. My current 2009 FJR has 72,000 miles. The other 3 were similar in mileage. You can do the math. My wife and I took a 16,000 mile trip on an FJR (two up). Not on a stock seat though 🙂

As an MSF Rider Coach and long distance tourer I am compelled to encourage you to adopt ATGATT. If you read your own posts....you will see that your own observations about the power of the FJR warrant the need for proper protection.

The tires - you will figure that out. The best thing about determining your own opinions about tires is that you have to ride the FJR in order to come to a conclusion !

My observation about your excitement about the FJR brings up a couple familiar feelings I had (have) about the FJR:

- Linear 150bhp power curve is addictive and enticing. It’s not the fastest bike on the road but...it’s pretty @#%}% fast. Fast=risk. The FJR feels nimble in a straight fast line. Don’t let this deception fool you when you start pushing it into technical roads. Sure, it’s sporty but it’s weight and STOCK suspension will falter if things get too intense. At that point it is your experience that will carry you. Which leads me to my second point...

- Ride your own Ride . The FJR inspires confidence because it is an overall amazing bike. I have found myself riding with some VERY accomplished riders (Liquidsilver , Trainwreck, IAN , Petey (RIP) and other hoons). I am not at their skill level and have learned that I simply cannot match their talent.....so its my tactic to hang back and learn from them. Point being.....I ride my own ride and they respect that.

I could ramble on but it is really refreshing to see how much you are enjoying the FJR.

I have family up north in Iron Mountain Mi and ride up there often. Might cross paths with you one day !!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Awesome Boofer, I really do appreciate you chiming in. There is a reason I've never owned a motorcycle until a few years ago....I knew I would kill myself!! 20+ years later even w/ the maturity I still started back riding w/ the Ninja 500, on purpose. I feel like I did 3 years ago for the most part honestly. Scared to death but having fun learning. Which for all practical purposes I am learning all over again with the FJR. The 500 didn't prepare me, jumping on an occasional Harley or even a R6 didn't either. So I definitely respect her and will be careful. I am a light guy, 150 lbs, so the weight is what I really need to get use to. I went with Avon storm 3d's for tires. Hopefully that helps as well.

I too like riding in the back on rides with others. I just feel safer, not worried about somebody flying by me and then wrecking, or worse yet running right into me. I'm a big proponent of the ride your own ride theory.

But yeah, I am loving this machine. Honestly I didn't even realize something like this was available in my budget. Granted, I got a great deal, but still. She is amazing!!! ( I really have to name her already!!)

It would be awesome to run into you one day~~thanks for the advice and concern. Ride safe as always!!

·
Super Moderator
3,816 Posts
I too like riding in the back on rides with others. I just feel safer, not worried about somebody flying by me and then wrecking, or worse yet running right into me. I'm a big proponent of the ride your own ride theory.
If organizing a ride, make sure that there's a "no jockeying for position within the group". You start and finish in the same place and keep lots of distance between each rider. No need to parade around like Gold Wings. As long as everyone waits at a turn for the person behind them. You can keep a quarter mile between riders with ease.

If participating in a ride, look for that (space and don't act the fool) or look for a nice ride to the destination on your own.

·
Registered
103 Posts
He routinely runs 80 on our spedos until he needs to refuel. Not sure how he does it but he does, so I'm figuring a 60 mile a hour average for distance traveled. That's about 1:30-2 hours w/ his bike if he doesn't stop. The trailer queens have had reservations for months. But the main guy is a type A personality for sure so me and my bro figure we will break off from the pack.....and we are fully prepared to do so. It's on our bucket list and we kinda are hard core, dont mind sleeping on a hammock if need be and get back on the road. Plus we are grown men, if it's too much we will turn our happy butts right around and head home. Probably at a much slower pace!!!
I've ridden my R6 between cities and basically what I learned is, make that back pack as light as possible. For a trip that long, I'd eliminate it altogether. I thought aerodynamic backpacks were a gimmick until I did multi-hour rides. With a 38lb backpack, my shoulders were absolutely KILLING me! If I slowed down, that prolonged the agony. If I sped up, that added even more weight due to wind drag. It was late and no traffic, so ended up turning an hour and forty-five minute trip into an hour and fifteen... which is admittedly insane.

·
Registered
262 Posts
well I also forgot to mention this get a cooling vest ..each of you ..I have ridden across SD in 105 degree weather and the ONLY reason I was able to do a 500 mile day was the vest soaked in water and ridding with my mesh jacket ( I dont know if it would have been better to have my regular bike jacket on....?...
also buy a camel back you will not regret neither ..but sure will if you dont buy them

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cooling+...fix=cooling+vest+,aps,229&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_13
thast a vest

https://www.amazon.com/AUTO-STAR-Hydration-Water-Bladder/dp/B07G9YPRYW/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2XLB9634BUTT9&dchild=1&keywords=camel+backpack+hydration+pack&qid=1596938242&sprefix=camel+%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-12

some sort of camel back

21 - 39 of 39 Posts