FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,211 Posts
I don’t inconvenience anyone when I park under the awning. If I can’t do it without blocking a lane of traffic, I park somewhere else. I do it often. Gladly. With the blessing of management.
@rbentnail why do you hate leaving the bike under the entry port of the hotel? As long as it’s out of everyone’s way why not?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I've had a few occasions where a scary thunderstorm was approaching and the manager of the motel allowed me park my bike under the protection of the covered walkway just outside my motel room.

My favorite motel parking spot was in Western Pennsylvania where the owner let me park my bike inside his garage for the night! You gotta love the Mom and Pop motels (at least, most of the time). ;)

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Kindest parking arrangements I know of happened to Spousal Unit. She rode from our place in Montana to Chicago to visit her sister. On the way back she stopped for fuel at rural SD convenience store/gas station. It was windy but manageable. She went in the store for something to drink and the counter guy told her he couldn’t let her leave. After a moment of concern for SU the guy held up his phone showing a weather warning for winds gusting in the 70s starting shortly and lasting overnight. The guy made a call and then told SU the manager of a motel a few miles down the road was holding a room for her. He would meet her at a rear door near her room. Although images of the Bates Motel flashed in her mind, the motel was a national chain franchise so off she went. The manager did indeed meet her and helped her park her bike (F800GS) inside the hallway of the motel. She later went to the desk to register and was told to call the desk in the morning when she wanted to leave and someone would come dig out the door and help with getting the bike out. The wind howled all night and in the morning she saw that there was a three foot sand drift blocking her bike in. A staff member came as promised to dig her out and help extract her bike.

That was good service.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,816 Posts
I may not be as well traveled as many but in all the places I've stayed from Maine to Mobile to Columbus, Ohio to Key West, and with all the people I've traveled, not once has any single one of us been invited to park out front, under the awning or in a hallway. From chain places to M-n-P's, to campgrounds. Not once. In Mobile, Al; Bowling Green, Ky and Camdridge, MD in particular many people entering & exiting b!tched about "the G-D bikers parking there again". Descriptions of said bikers were not pretty and if any of them had anonymously hung out in the front of the building with "the normal folk" they would have heard it too.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Last week I was riding through PA and between the Gettysburg Bike deal and the Carlisle Mopar Car show it was a mob scene. I was lucky enough to get the last room at a Holiday Inn Express. Weather was iffy and the people at the desk said I could leave the bike under the awning by the front door if I wanted. There were lots of people tailgating in the parking lot and the awning area was pretty crowded with people. I surveyed the situation and there was an open space not 50 feet away so I put the bike in the space instead. At that moment a woman who was with the car crowd walked up and asked if I wanted to put the bike in the garage under the hotel. It was closed to the public and was reserved for the high dollar muscle cars. I thanked her politely declined and left the bike where it was thinking rbentnail would be pleased.

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just got back from a 5000 mi+ trip to visit grandkids and had a very good trip. I stayed in several MOM & POP motels, two of which stood out. One in Sidney, NE. and one in Arco, ID. They were both very clean and well maintained. Sleep For Less in Sidney offered me some of their old towels and rags to wipe off some of the bug juice and a hose to wash off some of the road grime. The owner's wife gives a medical massage if you call and make an appointment. Wayne and Kerri are very accommodating. http://sleepforlessmotel.com/ The town of Sidney has a very good steak house and bar as well. Dude's Steakhouse & Brandin' Iron Bar - Proudly serving the VERY BEST Steaks and Seafood in the Midwest since 1952. The KD motel in Arco is very clean as well and Katey and her family were very good to me. http://www.dkmotel.com/ Pickles is just about one block away and has good food along with a very big breakfast. Pickle's Place: Pickle's Place Menu What are the chances we can start a good place to stay FORUM TOPICS for all the folks that tour on their Scoots?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Rbentnail I was thinking about you. Last week I was checking into a hotel and the girl behind the desk said “feel free to leave your bike under the overhang by the entrance.” As I was walking back to the bike a van pulling a trailer came whipping up to the front door really fast and a bit recklessly. Decided the bike would be much safer in a parking space.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
When you folks are touring on your scoots, what kind of places do you like to stay in? I like to pull up to my room and have the bike as close to the window as possible and sleep with the window open just a bit. If it has a place close by to eat even better. M&P's are getting hard to find.
Totally agree. As long as they aren't in a bad looking neighborhood and clean on the inside, I love staying at mom&pop places. I hate staying in institutional ones with long interior hallways, even if they're nice.

This was one of my little favorites... for no good reason.
Building Billboard Fixture Font Rectangle

This was the wall heater. LOL
Window Automotive lighting Wood Rectangle Gas

I always dread staying in the cheaper hotels for Road Atlanta, but last weekend I found a gem, 20 minutes away over in Gainesville. The Guest Lodge Gainesville. It was on the lower end of price but it was cute and charming. Gainesville seems to be about 85% Mexican, which I think is kinda cool... being that it's like several other highly hispanic places I've been, where the people seem to be hard-working, family oriented and really nice. There were a TON of shops selling oversized wheels, but I felt right at home anyway.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts