FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Yamaha FJR 1300 ES
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you folks are touring on your scoots, what kind of places do you like to stay in? I like to pull up to my room and have the bike as close to the window as possible and sleep with the window open just a bit. If it has a place close by to eat even better. M&P's are getting hard to find.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
When you folks are touring on your scoots, what kind of places do you like to stay in? I like to pull up to my room and have the bike as close to the window as possible and sleep with the window open just a bit. If it has a place close by to eat even better. M&P's are getting hard to find.
Koa cabins - like a big garden shed but has heat, sometimes AC and sometimes tv. Still have to go over to the main building for a toilet/ shower.
For food, typically a local bar/restaurant - I like a beer with my meal or truckstop for breakfast

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
40 Posts
Wow! Those cabins look great. Do you need to reserve them ahead of time or have you found opportunities where you can just arrive on site and get a cabin? What is the cost per night, if you do not mind sharing a ballpark figure.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Wow! Those cabins look great. Do you need to reserve them ahead of time or have you found opportunities where you can just arrive on site and get a cabin? What is the cost per night, if you do not mind sharing a ballpark figure.
Reserve in advance on website. $55 or so a night

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
40 Posts
On my trips to the western states, Smokies, etc., I always stayed in M&P places. Helps out the little guy, so to speak. I'm the same way-want the bike as close as possible. Sad to hear they are getting hard to find, as you said. Major brand hotels have thin walls, kids crying and running up and down the hallways, folks slamming doors to their rooms, you name it. Plus now with COVID, hotel staff are very reluctant to freshen your room. Sometimes you need to park the bike out of sight and far from the front entrance as well.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
I prefer IHG properties. If none are available, Hilton. For consistency and for rewards programs.

Hilton sometimes makes you pay more for a room if you’re a member than if you were not. I spoke with their CS about it. They just wanted to argue. Told me I didn’t understand. I understood fine. That’s when they got booted to a distant second for work and personal travel.
Things have been much better with IHG. And they have badasses working at HQ if you need help.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
I really don't care where I stay. I always look for- can I walk comfortably to food and more importantly can I walk back after feeding my face. I insist on AC and a hot shower. Coffee in the lobby is a plus. And I really don't care where the bike is parked, never any trouble thee. As long as it's not under the port in front of the motel. I hate that.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If there’s a decent Mom and Pop place I will go for that but like everyone else says they’re getting harder to find and many times Mom and Pop sold out and are long gone. I checked into one place and woman behind desk was from India and had microwaved some Indian food that smelled delicious. When I commented about it she first explained that because of Covid most the restaurants were closed and if I didn’t mind that it was vegetarian she would call home to her house and get me some! Hard to beat.
Other than that I’m with Bill, IHG is a safe and convenient bet although can be a little pricey. They are usually cool about me leaving the bike under the covered entry by the front door.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
@rbentnail why do you hate leaving the bike under the entry port of the hotel? As long as it’s out of everyone’s way why not?
Because it's rude and inconsiderate to everyone else. Might as well just park in the handicapped parking spaces. Sure why not inconvenience everyone else because we're motorcyclists and we're special and we deserve, nay command, special privileges. If you've ever walked through a parking lot and cursed under your breath about some azzhat's parking, that's exactly the way the rest of the hotel/motel/brothel patrons are talking about people who do this. IMHO if you don't want to leave your bike in a parking lot then leave it home. And if you don't want to leave it out, bring a cover.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Because it's rude and inconsiderate to everyone else. Might as well just park in the handicapped parking spaces. Sure why not inconvenience everyone else because we're motorcyclists and we're special and we deserve, nay command, special privileges. If you've ever walked through a parking lot and cursed under your breath about some azzhat's parking, that's exactly the way the rest of the hotel/motel/brothel patrons are talking about people who do this. IMHO if you don't want to leave your bike in a parking lot then leave it home. And if you don't want to leave it out, bring a cover.
I disagree. Parking under an entry way cover is done only with the permission of the hotel's staff and is not an inconvenience if the bike is placed where it does not obstruct foot or vehicular traffic. In fact, it can be helpful in a crowded lot by freeing up space for automobile parking. I doubt it offends many other people as it seems to do to you, but thanks anyway for freeing up some covered space. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have no problem leaving the bike outside in a parking place but if the hotel staff offers which they often do then I will leave it out of the way under the entryway overhang. Only comments I’ve ever gotten was “nice bike” by people walking by so I doubt it’s offending anyone.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I prefer to find single story M&P motels that have parking in front of each room, not the large motels that require you to lug your "stuff" through a long interior hallway to get to your room. I carry a cover and use that to keep prying eyes off my farkles.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I prefer to find single story M&P motels that have parking in front of each room, not the large motels that require you to lug your "stuff" through a long interior hallway to get to your room. I carry a cover and use that to keep prying eyes off my farkles.
Funny thing.... when we travel in a car/truck we each carry a medium sized bag to our room. When we are on our bikes we need to use a cart to get our gear and luggage to the room. We look like refugees fleeing the Red Army.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
Funny thing.... when we travel in a car/truck we each carry a medium sized bag to our room. When we are on our bikes we need to use a cart to get our gear and luggage to the room. We look like refugees fleeing the Red Army.
Yeah, I got this comment today when unpacking a bag from there, helmet, jacket, a container from here, bag off fhe seat, etc.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Yeah, I got this comment today when unpacking a bag from there, helmet, jacket, a container from here, bag off fhe seat, etc.
That's why I like the big side and top cases. Snap them off and carry in like a suitcase.

Reactions: JK28

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Sure, that can be done with the factory cases too. But when traveling I prefer the liner bags so I can keep the cases on the bike.
I might do that once I get my big luggage and liners. I found that getting the liner bags in the stock cases on the bike was a huge pain when they were full. Was easier to do it with the cases laying on the bed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no problem leaving the bike outside in a parking place but if the hotel staff offers which they often do then I will leave it out of the way under the entryway overhang. Only comments I’ve ever gotten was “nice bike” by people walking by so I doubt it’s offending anyone.
Same here, Donk. We are often directed by the staff to park under the canopy at the larger hotels. In fact, we were in Durango last weekend and there wasn't a single regular space left when we rolled in. I have had some of my more memorable conversations with people under the canopies at hotels, and never had any one act offended. To make it an equivalent of parking in a handicap space is absurd!! It really has nothing to do with wanting special privileges. I make it a point to stay out of pathways and keep room for people driving up to check in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts