FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...my first post. I have been lucky enough to buy a 2016 FJR1300ES 2 weeks ago. I wanted the 6th gear....love the bike. I have noticed that when at idle, even when fully hot, the engine will not settle into a nice purr, but mildly surges up and down 50 or 100 rpms. The tach needle does not deflect at all, but I have never had a bike do this when running well. The mechanic at the dealership said no problem....probably just due to tight tolerances in the engine, and it will calm down after a few thousand more miles....I only have 2000 on it now. Opinions? I am uncomfortable with his explanation. Thanks for any and all input.
Tech.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mine also does this, possibly due to a weak mixture to give more miles per gallon

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum. And with a '16 ES, what a way to join.

I haven't noticed most of the problems people are reporting. Either I don't have them or, more likely, I have a much higher tolerance. My older bike is an '84 GPz750 and I had a 15 year break while I was working overseas.

I would expect a 100 rpm surge to show up on the tach.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Is this 'problem' evident when in neutral with clutch released? There is the feature that increases idle when you slightly release the clutch so you don't stall. The throttle by wire system totally controls idle.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Remember the service manual ! Pity you didn't buy one as well :)
Diagnostic code 67 Idle Speed Control, see what the value is and can be reset via the diagnostic as well ..... worth a try.
Any doubt, take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your responses. Ken, do you think this surging requires an idle reset? Some seem to suggest this is normal. Are there some ES owners out there that have never had lumpy idle?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a condition that would benefit from a 'throttle body synch'. I'm on my 3rd FJR now and what you describe as a "lumpy idle" is familiar to me. Try the synch, b4 getting into anything else.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thanks all for your responses. Ken, do you think this surging requires an idle reset? Some seem to suggest this is normal. Are there some ES owners out there that have never had lumpy idle?
I have the AE, the Aussie equivalent of the ES.
The only times the idle changes rpm, apart from cold start, is when the bike is in gear, the rpm slightly increases.
According to the manual, perform the TBS first, if you can't get the sync with 1cm, service the throttle bodies, then finally check the Idle Speed Control, in that order.
But I'd make sure all the basic items are fine first, plugs, air cleaner etc.

I've seen eroded electrodes on plugs 5K kms old.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Hi All...my first post. I have been lucky enough to buy a 2016 FJR1300ES 2 weeks ago. I wanted the 6th gear....love the bike. I have noticed that when at idle, even when fully hot, the engine will not settle into a nice purr, but mildly surges up and down 50 or 100 rpms. The tach needle does not deflect at all, but I have never had a bike do this when running well. The mechanic at the dealership said no problem....probably just due to tight tolerances in the engine, and it will calm down after a few thousand more miles....I only have 2000 on it now. Opinions? I am uncomfortable with his explanation. Thanks for any and all input.
Tech.
What is your idle set to? My 07 does this when the idle gets much over 1000 {I know, it should BE at 1100} so I generally drop the idle to 1000.

This, of course, increases the odds of stalling if your not a little more careful when leaving a stop, but I don't like the surging, even though I know it doesn't hurt anything.

I also think that it gets worse in between TBS's which I haven't done in a while. {I have the Helibars and to raise the tank you need to remove the rear bolt and slide the tank back a tad so the front of the tank will come up past the Helibar setup, and I am SOOO lazy}.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
The OP has a 2016...... no more dIAG screen to play with, must have Yamaha computer/software to look at anything (at your friendly dealer). Idle speed is controlled by the ECU in all GenIII's, so it may 'hunt' as sensor inputs are sampled. Should hunt less in neutral, clutch out.

Reactions: philharmonic

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2017 that I recently bought with very low miles also exhibits the revs hunting at idle. I have discovered it does this less when in neutral. It seems to be at it’s worst when in traffic at a standstill in gear woth the clutch pulled in.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
Try adjusting the clutch lever..... or hold it tight against the bar..... might also want to give the clutch switch a spritz of contact cleaner to ensure the plunger is able to return fully.....
Starting with 2013, there is approx. 100 rpm increase when you first let the clutch out just off the bar.... hill assist. I'm just saying see if this is what's going on.
If it's with the clutch fully out in neutral....... there have been a couple others saying they can hunt also (likely more like 50 rpm).

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might be on to something with holding the clutch lever closer to the bar.
Based on your comment I just adjusted my lever out a bit. This should mean the clutch should be fully in without having the lever so close to the bar. I’ll update you once I’ve had a chance to go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Is the idle fluctuating + or - 50 RPM really a problem? Is it affecting the bike negatively or the rider? ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It does not affect the ride quality in anyway. I just want to make sure this is not a symptom of something greater or that I’m reducing the lifespan of the clutch plates by not having the clutch pulled in all the way.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,764 Posts
It does not affect the ride quality in anyway. I just want to make sure this is not a symptom of something greater or that I’m reducing the lifespan of the clutch plates by not having the clutch pulled in all the way.
Definitely not reducing the lifespan of the clutch plates.... it's a slipper clutch, even less of a concern IMHO.

Reactions: Tim Simpson

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,997 Posts
Zero ridability issues, before or after recall, but my 18 has always subtly wavered around idle. Did it new, still does it at almost 90k. Just part of this model.
My '07 has done it since new and now nearly 140K miles later. My '13 does it. I've been around a few other model years, most of them did it. "It's a feature not a bug."

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
505 Posts
My '07 has done it since new and now nearly 140K miles later. My '13 does it. I've been around a few other model years, most of them did it. "It's a feature not a bug."
Will say I noticed it more on the '13 when I had the Delkevic slip-ons installed, not so much with stock cans though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts