FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, this is Art from the land of heat and humidity; looking forward to conversing with the FJR Community.

A month ago, I sold an 1150R (my first BMW), and was planning on replacing it with an RT. I wanted the RT to do some multi-state touring. I located a 2016 RT of my liking in SC, and was about to make the long drive, when locally, a killer deal on a pristine 2013 FJR presented itself. I did not hesitate.

The bike only has 4000 miles and has been stored for the last five years only to be started and warmed occasionally. Farkles include crash and bag bars, and the Yamaha Touring screen. Oh, and the gentleman also threw in a GT-Air/Sena S20 to boot.

I’ve only had a chance to ride the FJR in the neighborhood, and around and through some nearby roundabouts, but long story short, I think I’m going to like this bike.

A few items of note:

1) It only came with one black key. This was concerning until I finally figured out that the US versions were not equipped with immobilizers.
2) Before picking up the FJR, I downloaded and read the Owners Manual (the EU version, which I didn’t realize). I had a WTH moment when I looked at the maintenance schedule in the Manual that came with the bike. 4000 vs. 6000??? After some trepidation and a truculent diatribe or two, I’ve decided to stick to the EU schedule.
3) Compared to any other bike I’ve owned and especially compared to my 1150R, I was surprised how hard the bike falls into slow speed corners, ie. <30 mph. With that said, anything faster, and she really comes into her own. I love the way it turns in, transitions back and forth, and seemingly holds whatever line one wants to hold; very confidence inspiring, and much more so than the R.
4) I opened her up once. Holy crap!

So tomorrow, I look forward to my first jaunt down the interstate. I’m curious to get a feel for the wind protection provided by the touring windscreen, and whether I’ll need some type of bar riser to increase comfort. After all, I plan on putting long hours in the saddle very soon. I’m not getting any younger; the time is now.

Again, hello to everyone, and sorry for the long-winded intro!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Just be aware there are a couple of items in the maintenance schedule that seem to favour dealer revenue...... FYI, oil change intervals on many Hondas and Kawasakis are 12000 kms/7200 miles, so have no fear of going with the longer interval.
You'll love the '13. Good choice!

·
Registered
'15 FJR1300A
217 Posts
Welcome, from a former Houston area resident. The oil change interval discrepancy is probably a miles vs km issue. Anyway, that can be a thread on it's own.

Congrats on the bike and welcome.

Reactions: yodarider

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
Welcome to the Hoard, Yoda! Be among friends, and Texans!

I am in Aggieland! A good choice, indeed! But pics are a must!

·
Super Moderator
3,883 Posts
Just be aware there are a couple of items in the maintenance schedule that some think favor dealer revenue. Be sure to keep detailed service logs so you retain more value at resale (the buyer will know it was taken care of according to factory specs). FYI, oil change intervals on many Hondas and Kawasakis are 12000 kms/7200 miles, but being a cheep-assed MoFo isn't good for your character nor for the motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
@yodarider "1) It only came with one black key. "

If you have the little silver tag the has the key code on it (key code is a 5 character alpha-numeric, it's the letter "A" with 4 numbers after it), you can order a key from the vendor below and they can cut the key per the code. These key blanks are much stronger than the stock keys, so you may wish to order two and keep the original as the "master".

Good luck,

Nats

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
There we go!!

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

3) Compared to any other bike I’ve owned and especially compared to my 1150R, I was surprised how hard the bike falls into slow speed corners, ie. <30 mph. With that said, anything faster, and she really comes into her own. I love the way it turns in, transitions back and forth, and seemingly holds whatever line one wants to hold; very confidence inspiring, and much more so than the R.
What tire pressures are you running? Many of us have settled on pressures in the vicinity of 40FR/42RR. Something like that may help with your low speed handling quirks.

For the Series III FJRs, there's a recall out for the front brake switch. If the bike has a problem engaging, not just turning it on, cruise control, that may be the problem.
Hmmm. Looks a lot like mine. Oh, wait . . .

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
That little bit will totally transform the feel of the front!! It did for Orion!

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
357 Posts
Welcome from a former Texan. I did an 800 mi ride last weekend with 40 front and 42 rear and the twisties and mountain roads were a true pleasure. Everything felt so effortless and smooth. I love my 2016 ES

1 - 17 of 17 Posts