FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok .NEED to install ( MY tail section is hanging by a thread ) I did a minor break down of parts ( have yet to pull the tail section / side panels plastic.
1st I think I once saw a good write up on this , I cant find it.
2ND How to get the small allen bolts out that are between the tail and tail lights? only about 1/4 inch of room.. from there I might beable get the rest of the parts broke down ,, but would really like to read someone elses experience
year of my bike is 2010

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's a link to another thread in this forum on this topic. (8) Well, I got my Stiffy on.... | FJR Owners Forum Included in the first post is a link to yet another thread in this forum.

I referred to both threads when installing a stiffy kit on my FJR - both were very helpful. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I'm curious... you say your tail section is hanging on by a thread, what happened?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'd like to see a photo of that hanging thread...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious... you say your tail section is hanging on by a thread, what happened?
I would say it began with my first day of ownership, I put the bike on the centerstand using the grab rail..not knowing there was a hand hold..my 1200 bandit I always just grabbed the GIVI rack and lifted ..
Then the other week I went over a god sized bump an it broked the side plastic and rails . under the seat you could see where the plastic " frame " broke in 2 places '
I will take a bunch of pictures when I fully start ..raining right now ...Seattle area, who would have thought ? :)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
So you're saying just the plastic pieces are broken or the aluminum sub-frame? Do you have a top case mounted? Any rack?

If it's just the plastic grab handles I have my original in a box I can part with. 2015

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you're saying just the plastic pieces are broken or the aluminum sub-frame? Do you have a top case mounted? Any rack?

If it's just the plastic grab handles I have my original in a box I can part with. 2015
The plastic..the grab handles separated..and the sub frame all broke, have a shad top case mounted ..heck the plate it mounts on plus the weight of the case are in excess of what Yamaha says to put back there :(

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,176 Posts
The plastic..the grab handles separated..and the sub frame all broke, have a shad top case mounted ..heck the plate it mounts on plus the weight of the case are in excess of what Yamaha says to put back there :(
Actually..... if you dig deep enough you'll find blurbs limiting speed and no side cases with top case use.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That first picture isn't the sub frame, it is the luggage rack. I'd just replace it with the GIVI SRL357 and you will have all the beef you need

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is the subframe - it's buried under all that plastic and is what you bolted the luggage rack to.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This is a typical Gen2/3 subframe failure - a bad thing.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Yep, what Oldjeep said. The real issue is the subframe underneath the seats and the plastic.

Some of your plastic looks like it's been JB Welded. If you want to save the money and not buy new plastic then remove what you have, use JB Weld and some wire screen on the backside, let it set then sand and rattle-can touch up the outside. You can fill and sand the outside with JB Weld too before painting if you want. Old tricks I learned from back when the budget didn't include "asthetics".

·
Registered
263 Posts
The plastic can also be welded with a soldering iron and some filler ABS which I could send gratis.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
286 Posts
I can see that the rack is different on a Gen 3/4. I wonder if the latest rack is structurally better than the version showed here? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe the rack has not changed since 2006 Gen2 except for the optional and rare aluminum version.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, what Oldjeep said. The real issue is the subframe underneath the seats and the plastic.

Some of your plastic looks like it's been JB Welded. If you want to save the money and not buy new plastic then remove what you have, use JB Weld and some wire screen on the backside, let it set then sand and rattle-can touch up the outside. You can fill and sand the outside with JB Weld too before painting if you want. Old tricks I learned from back when the budget didn't include "asthetics".
the screen is a great idea..and I had been thinking about the harbor freight plastic wielder..and I do have some proper paint

1 - 20 of 29 Posts