FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know. Throw it out each time and grab a new one. Freakin' pervs. But I'm asking about tools and such that have a (usually) thick rubber coating that seems to degrade and get sticky after awhile. Some can just be wrapped with sports tape and such, did an umbrella like that, but with some tools and farkles that wouldn't work. I've tried WD, isopropyl, mineral spirits, etc and while it generally cleans them up is still leaves the stickiness. (Yes, that's a word.) Anyone have any remedies?

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
OK, you have to use acetone, or fingernail polish remover!

And don't judge! You don't know my life!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Methylhydrate.

Haynes

Reactions: BigOgre

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
731 Posts
I know, I know. Throw it out each time and grab a new one. Freakin' pervs. But I'm asking about tools and such that have a (usually) thick rubber coating that seems to degrade and get sticky after awhile. Some can just be wrapped with sports tape and such, did an umbrella like that, but with some tools and farkles that wouldn't work. I've tried WD, isopropyl, mineral spirits, etc and while it generally cleans them up is still leaves the stickiness. (Yes, that's a word.) Anyone have any remedies?
I don't know if you are just trying to clean the handles or if you are looking for ideas but I use this stuff as many of my hand tools are old world and handed down from my father and maintained. I just cut all the rubber off and rub it on a wire wheel then dip it in the goop. I usually dip twice or three times depending on how thick a coat they take.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if you are just trying to clean the handles or if you are looking for ideas but I use this stuff as many of my hand tools are old world and handed down from my father and maintained. I just cut all the rubber off and rub it on a wire wheel then dip it in the goop. I usually dip twice or three times depending on how thick a coat they take.

Nope, cleaning things that can't be recovered.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300 Liquid Silver
129 Posts
I recently read an article where the writer used a paste made of baking soda and water. She used a stereo remote for an example.
She rubbed the paste over the plastic with her fingers. She said to resist the urge to use a green scrubber as it will scratch the surface.

I have not tried it yet, but I'm suggesting it nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
I prefer Sally Hansen over Cutex!😁

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Do you find that you have the same issue with rubber/plastic knobs in your cars? When my folks lived in Florida, it was weird how the air there seemed to basically melt certain plastics and rubber things.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that you mention it . . . my son's '07 Explorer. Steering wheel big time but a wrap fixes that. Sits in the sun most of the day lately but got him using windshield shades finally.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,830 Posts
Now that you mention it . . . my son's '07 Explorer. Steering wheel big time but a wrap fixes that. Sits in the sun most of the day lately but got him using windshield shades finally.
My mom had a brand new Audi A4 Convertible when she lived down there. Always in the garage and she put maybe 6K miles on it in 7 years. The steering wheel, all the knobs in the car softened up and would leave black marks on your hands. The hoses in the engine compartment were the same. Weird since my wife owns nearly the identical car, which is now 15 years old and has 120K on it with no issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts