FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mobile phone whilst, err, mobile

Or get a Bluetooth enabled helmet - such as Dainese or Nolan do.

But I also use an Autocom system with the phone connected by cable. Must get a bluetooth adapter though.
:D Dearnla

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use the Starcom with a Starcom bluetooth adaptor and, yes, it really is the best thing since sliced bread.
I turn the ignition ON and my phone automatically connects and will answer the calls after 2 rings, the Starcom mutes the music and people even refuse to belive me when I say that I'm on the bike and therefore can't write anything down (even at illegal speeds).
The only drawback is when I carry a pillion, as the pillion can't hear the phone they wonder why the music dies and I start to talk to myself.
:ale:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ever wonder what you'd do 10-15 years ago to answer the phone while out riding?? Ya know, somethimes old school can make a lot of sense. :wink:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acmemfg said:
Ever wonder what you'd do 10-15 years ago to answer the phone while out riding?? Ya know, somethimes old school can make a lot of sense. :wink:
Very true. I was just talking about that yesterday with someone. The cell phone is portrayed as something that gives you more freedom, but really you're just on a longer leash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cell phone usage

The FJR is a motorcycle. It is very fast, quite weighty, and can get you in trouble in a flash. Palerider, I understand this is your first bike, or your first bike in a long time. Several experienced riders have suggested to you that considering your inexperience, the FJR is a lot of bike for you. I have been riding for 30 years, it's a lot of bike for me. I have to constantly remind myself that I can kill myself on this bike if I am not on my game ALL the time. Cell phones divert your attention. It is in their nature to split your concentration. May I ask, do you have a death wish? It's a motorcycle, not an extension of your office. IMHO, you're asking for trouble. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Errr, palerider has been riding for 46 years Loki, according to his other thread.

I do happen to agree with your point though, the sat nav can also be a distraction (for example) - but trying to read maps on top of a tankbag is even worse.........

·
Registered
18 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!! I have the autocomm and NOW the wife/kids can CONTACT YOU!!! "When will you be home?, Can you take me to the mall, Please pick up milk,eggs,etc,etc...."

OR, just don't let anyone know! When I get calls no ones knows I'm even on the bike!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thats an interesting point.

While I am fooling with the idea of connecting a cell phone (also a sat. radio). It does make me very available to the very same distractions Im riding to get away from.

My bike time is pretty limited. And I really enjoy it, its my outlet, my way of forgetting everything else for a while. Do I really want to be bothered and or stressed out with some business or worse...family krap while Im "in therapy"?

I need to think about this. The old "be careful of what you wish for" comes into play here.

CZ

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have an autocomm system with a Sat radio and Cell Phone hooked up. The convenience is definitely there and if the ability to answer the phone is necessary for you to ride then do it. HOWEVER, from experience with my system you will notice that you are not paying as close attention as you would if the equipment wasn't there. That is just plain and simple truth. It IS more dangerous and I myself ask the question why I do it. I haven't quit using the system yet but I think about my possible stupidity often.

·
Registered
15 Posts
how to answer cell phone on the bike.

OK, I have a blue tooth enabled phone and an Autocom, and I really want to use the phone, for various reasons. Since I am very non technical, would you guys who know how to do this go thru the ritual step by step for me. My Autocom isn't one of the newer Bluetooth ones, does that matter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
[ HOWEVER, from experience with my system you will notice that you are not paying as close attention as you would if the equipment wasn't there. That is just plain and simple truth. It IS more dangerous and I myself ask the question why I do it. I haven't quit using the system yet but I think about my possible stupidity often.[/quote]

Well, riding home from work today, Cat Steven's "Miles from nowhere" came on the XM. I ended up taking the LONG way home....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts