FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

What was your age when you purchased your first FJR?

• 0-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-25

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 26-30

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • 31-35

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • 36-40

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • 41-45

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • 46-50

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • 51-55

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • 56-60

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • 61-100

Votes: 46 25.1%
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I was 63 and wish I would have gotten it sooner. Fantastic ride. Heading to MPLS in several weeks from Idaho, then to Colorado for Ride the rockies in mid June. Hope to meet a few of you guys there.

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,604 Posts
My first, and last FJR is a '14. I bought her when I was 56. I say last because I always over maintain and usually keep anything with an engine until it crumbles to the ground. I knew buying the '14 that I would probably not outlive her and keep her till my end. I know, it's weird to think that way. All my research of the FJR before I bought her told me how dependable she is. If I had had bought a Harley that year, I would not had given that thought that it would outlast me. I'm just using Harley as a reference, I have never had considered Harley in any of my past purchases. Just not MY cup of tea, it is for many others, and I get it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
To be more accurate, the poll should ask your age when you purchased your first sport touring motorcycle any brand? I did not buy an FJR for years because it did not have cruise control and heated grips as standard equipment.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like Fjrjrf's post, I fully identify with his approach. I personally and obsessively maintain and keep my toys for a very long time.
Bought my 2017 ES last November at 58 years old, it's my fifth motorcycle -I have enough space in my garage- and first serious sport tourer after researching it and learning everything about it (including all its quirks and maintenance procedures) for about 2 years.
Extremely pleased with it, an absolutely wonderful machine that will stay with me, probably forever...?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Another codger. I was (am) 68. My ST 1300 broke down, after a very dependable 110,000 miles. Honda didn't make anything suitable to replace it besides the Wing, and I didn't want a Wing.Nice bike, but not sporty enough riding position for me and still too heavy. My local Honda/Yamaha dealer really wanted to see me riding a Yamaha so we worked out a deal on a new A model FJR. It does have a lot of nice features the ST didn't have, like ABS, TC, cruise control, heated grips, 6 speed trans, multi way adjustable suspension. Pretty nice motorcycle. If it goes 100K miles like my ST did I will be very happy.

I also ride a CB1100 which I love. Have 40,000 miles on it.

as a side note the age poll here mirrors the age poll on the CB1100 forum. Either the bike appeal to the same guys or only older guys close to 50 and above are buying bikes, which is bad news for the MC industry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m in the 61-100 group but I would have bought when I was 59 had I not procrastinated and probably 10 year prior to that had I been introduced to one back then. But that being said I’m pretty sure I’d be on my second by now!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 1st FJR. Bought July 10th 2018. Its a 2016 ES. Was used with 7k miles on her.

I am 38 right now. Worked hard to be able to afford this beast and been a machine I've been dreaming of since about 5 years ago

Looking forward to may years of FJR riding. Hoping I outlive the 2016 and upgrade to 2028?? FJRs will probably have retractable wings by then and we probably be riding in the sky rather than on streets

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 1st FJR. Bought July 10th 2018. Its a 2016 ES. Was used with 7k miles on her.

I am 38 right now. Worked hard to be able to afford this beast and been a machine I've been dreaming of since about 5 years ago

Looking forward to may years of FJR riding. Hoping I outlive the 2016 and upgrade to 2028?? FJRs will probably have retractable wings by then and we probably be riding in the sky rather than on streets

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I love your vision, but hope cell phones will be outlawed by then!!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I am 66 now. I first sat on a RED FJR at the dealer in (2014?) and finally bought a new 2016 model in July of 2017 and then did the customization for long distance. I have been riding a 2001 BMW K1200LT, but it got to the point my legs could no longer handler the weight of the bike. The LT is very comfortable, has a reverse, and I had it customized with all of the comforts I wanted. Still have not sold the LT, but it will go on the market later this month.

The FJR is lighter than the LT, but I think it still needs a reverse.

Reactions: 2014oldred

·
Registered
8 Posts
hmm... The one thing that strikes me odd about this thread, it appears that everyone is talking about when they purchased a new FJR.

I'm 38 and just purchased a new to me 13. I've owned bikes since I was 24.

I just wasn't willing/ready to give up my FZ1 till this year. I do miss that bike, but the more and more miles I put on the FJR I miss it less.

And to be honest, the only reason I am on a FJR now was because I was able to find a great deal at a Harley dealer and he gave me close to what the FZ1 is worth. I have been looking at FJRs for about 5 years.

VT

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Ferret, the bike industry data shows pretty much what you stated in that the median age for bike purchasers is 50+ which is why I think that they emphasize the sport bikes so little anymore, guess the kids can’t figure out how to ride unless they put the cell phones down. And we geezers prefer comfort over outright performance which is why the “dual” sport bikes are doing well and why the fjr is still around. All about balance and compromise and points at why the C14 isn’t doing well, Kawi just won’t give the customer what they want, same with the Wing and why they (Honda) have moved it more towards the fjr market (less weight, more sporty, less fogey-ism’s) of course this is all just my opinion but it’s what I believe is why the bike market is in a slump, and of course it may just be a cyclic thing.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
The sport touring market is small now, but Yamaha stuck with it even though it's not a big seller... last good one left in the game, IMHO. Meanwhile the FJR remains the best bike I've ever owned. Honda and Kawi are focusing on what brings them profit, which is what business is all about. Yammy too, dirt and dual sports are all the rage. The young can no longer afford the insurance on sport bikes...... here it costs as much as a bike does.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Since I have never been a tourer, I have no regrets about acquiring my first FJR in my mid-seventies. Since 2000 I had two bikes prior to acquiring the FJR: a Hayabusa and a Ninja 1000 (which I traded in for the FJR). I bought the FJR for comfort which it does have.

There is a big difference in the soul of the two vehicles. The Ninja, like a Porsche 911 was designed to make a lot of great noises and seat of the pants vibrations. The engine roared, the airbox ram induction howled - you hung on like a monkey at full throttle; you really felt it. The FJR is probably almost as fast (they are about the same HP but the shaft drive eats HP) as the Ninja, but it's geared much higher and more like a high powered luxury car, it gets there without all the Sturm und Drang.

I expect, if I am still riding at 80, I will opt for something weighing 400 lbs or less.

·
Registered
59 Posts
27! I went from a 08' Ninja 250 to a 80' XS1100 (loved that bike) then to a 02' Vstrom 1000. Just got a 13' FJR a month ago and love it. Had been missing that yamaha inline 4 since selling the XS. Been on bikes since I can remember. Rode as a passenger for many years as a kid with my dad on his 80s Gold Wing and 91' Concours. Growing up around the Concours definitely influenced my taste of bikes towards the sport touring market. Now I have fun trying to keep pace with my dad on his K16.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was 55 when I traded my FZ1 for my 2013 FJR1300A. I don’t think 🤔 I will look for anything else more than enough bike for my needs. Just a blast to ride. Longest trips typically 725 miles round trip when I check on my parents. They are getting older :)

21 - 40 of 46 Posts