FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Yes, I did a search on "replace clutch" here and with site search through Google.

At what ODO reading did you replace the clutch?

I know that will depend on riding style, but I'm trying to get a general idea when to replace.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless the clutch has been abused it will never need replacing unless you do a huge mileage. Over the years I have had a couple of bikes that I did over 100000 miles and never a problem with the clutch, but the FJR has a 'wet' clutch so you must use the correct oil as specified in the handbook, such as Yamalube 10/40 semi synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
I have 42K on Orion, and the clutch is just fine. No issues presenting.

I just sold a 2004 Honda Accord with 124k miles, on the original clutch.

You are so right about riding/driving style.

On my old XS11, I Had to replace it at 36K, as I chewed that thing to the plates!!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
You'll have to be slipping the clutch a lot to wear one out...... look at those AE's that slip them all the time...... how many of the AE guys have replaced clutches... maybe a few higher milers....
Ride on, worry less, don't abuse it.
Meanwhile, the usual....... bleed it every year, check that brass bushing in the lever, they can make a big different in clutch feel/performance. Having deeper issues, clutch is likely dry, it doesn't get any oil really much of anywhere except the two inside plates....... clean and soak, it'll take you an hour and a half.... wait, 3 beers, text or two..... 2 hrs. max. and cost you virtually nothing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My first FJR, a 2006, had about 95,000 miles on it when I sold it and the clutch was original and just fine. My Super Tenere has just over 117,000 miles on the original clutch and it too is just fine. RaYzerman is right: Ride on, worry less.

Haynes

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slightly off thread, but I am getting a pulse feel when engaging the clutch on a 2005 with 34k miles. The bike is new to me, so I don't have a feel for it yet. Just wondering if I should be concerned. Shifts fine and can't detect the 'pulse' unless moving from standstill. Thanks for any tips and experience!

·
Registered
353 Posts
My '13 clicked 93k on the commute in this morning and has original clutch.
Friend has 118k on his 2010 FJR and original clutch.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Anyone that can weigh in on why/how they are so robust?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Slightly off thread, but I am getting a pulse feel when engaging the clutch on a 2005 with 34k miles. The bike is new to me, so I don't have a feel for it yet. Just wondering if I should be concerned. Shifts fine and can't detect the 'pulse' unless moving from standstill. Thanks for any tips and experience!
Bike hasn't gone anywhere, you might benefit from a clutch soak..... however, check that brass bushing in your lever..... might be all oval causing not a smooth push into or out of the master cylinder.

I'd guess the clutches last because one tends not to slip them very much, thus the friction plates don't get thin and glazed... dirt and adventure bikes get slipped all the time, lotsa replacements in that case. High-revving jack rabbit starts and wheelies, now that's another story....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bike hasn't gone anywhere, you might benefit from a clutch soak..... however, check that brass bushing in your lever..... might be all oval causing not a smooth push into or out of the master cylinder.

I'd guess the clutches last because one tends not to slip them very much, thus the friction plates don't get thin and glazed... dirt and adventure bikes get slipped all the time, lotsa replacements in that case. High-revving jack rabbit starts and wheelies, now that's another story....
Thanks. Never 'soaked a clutch' before. Life keeps revealing itself to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts