FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 6'2", 290lb hopeless motorcycle lover. I like them all. My question is, I have been riding cruisers of the Harley or custom chopper type and I just sold my chopper. Looked great, rode like crap. I am looking for a replacement and have been thinking about buying an FJR for a couple of years. I rode a Harley Road King dresser yesterday with some guys and we had a real assortment of bikes. We rode some serious twistys and the Harley was ok, but one of the guys rode a ZX1 and was very good at it. After watching me ride, and seeing my ability on the big bike, he said I needed an FJR. Do you guys think I am too big to enjoy one? Oh, and my wife likes to go once in a while. I am really starting to enjoy putting more and more miles on instead of the around town bar to bar scene. I am getting too old for that crap(45). Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
No, you are in no way too old.

No, your not too big to enjoy one

Yes, you would like it alot

Watchout, the power to weight ratio will catch you off guard the first time you get on it.

The fjr is in another universe as far as handling goes so don't get overconfident in the twisties.

EASY DOES IT for a while.

Glenn

oh and welcomee to the board.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The FJR is in a completely different universe from hardleezz. They can and are fun (like my '04 1200R...) but what can be done on an FJR thru curves will leave any H-D far far behind without trying. Plus the bike is quite comfy and burns regular, plus STOPS. I'm 6'2", @220#s with a 7 month old hip, FJR fits fine. DFO :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm 6'3" with a 35" inseam and love my 05 FJR.
I also recommend a taller shield, though.
My CB+2+4w/flip shield was the best money I ever spent on the bike.
12,000 and rolling, go for it, you will not regret.

Mark

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey BigBoy, the FJR fits me fine @ 6'6" and 235lbs. with a 36" inseam. But length and weight shouldn't be your only consideration with regards to 'fit'.
You are used to the laid back cruiser posture. The FJR posture is as you know. more sitting up, knees bent tighter and a slight forward lean. I find this position far more comfortable that cruisers offer, but having said that, your knees and back should be in pretty good shape.
I have met a few guys heavier than your that have an FJR, and they do just fine, but you might want to examine total weight of you and your sweety, sit on an FJR together and see how comfortable she is. If she is taller than 5'5" you might want to consider aftermarket footpeg lowering brackets for her. Hey and while you are shopping don't forget to try a Goldwing. The ultimate in two up touring, for comfort amenities and serious grunt.

·
Registered
728 Posts
OOps sorry. I seem to have stumbled on the wrong thread.

You are all quite, er, large aren't you?

Dr Freud had a point don't you think?

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Liz said:
OOps sorry. I seem to have stumbled on the wrong thread.

You are all quite, er, large aren't you?
Didn't know you had seen that many of them; or is Ian just petite :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Registered
192 Posts
fit

You will probably want to fit an aftermarket shock since the stock unit isn't that good and put in a fork kit. This would definitely help considering your size. :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys everyone. My dealer should have one for me to try anyday now. I'll let you know. I rode a new Gold Wing at Sturgis last year. Talk about heat! I literally fried. I learned not to wear shorts pretty quickly on that bike. Honda needs to work on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only tried it down town when we were at a literal crawl. 2 hours to go 3 miles. Always had on jeans when we were riding.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The FJR handles my 6' 6" 260 with the 175lb spouse on the back just fine. I'm sure it'll give you a rush that you cannot get with the Cruisers or a Wing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
+ 1 on what Glenn says :D

gr8eyes said:
No, you are in no way too old.

No, your not too big to enjoy one

Yes, you would like it alot

Watchout, the power to weight ratio will catch you off guard the first time you get on it.

The fjr is in another universe as far as handling goes so don't get overconfident in the twisties.

EASY DOES IT for a while.

Glenn

oh and welcomee to the board.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts