FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Hmmmm...... people have told me anywhere around Traverse City and the UP is God's Country......

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Rectangle Font Grass Gas Signage

Reactions: supershawnboy

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Donk and Whooshka

·
Registered
63 Posts
What are your thoughts on flying across country (USA) to purchase a used FJR, and then ride it home? I don't have one in mind, and not ready to buy until next year. But sometimes I see what looks like a great deal but the bike is 1000 miles away.
Just do it if the right bike speaks to you. Last month my wife found 'the bike' she wanted. It happened to be a great deal, but in CA. I flew out, buyer picked me up at the airport, we did the deal and I rode it home to MS. A bit more than 1k and weather was marginal. Two snow storms in NM and some other minor adventures with weather, but otherwise fine. I've done Fly and Ride's several times. 1000 mile distances in the summer just meant finding a room after the sale, then riding home the next day. I have both flown with my gear and shipped my gear to the seller, (dealer that time), w/o issue. A helmet is a "personal item" when flying, just like a woman's purse. Do use a helmet bag, like helmets come in, just so it doesn't get beat up in the overhead bin. They won't let you hold on to it and it's awkward to put under the seat in front of you.

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
43 Posts
What are your thoughts on flying across country (USA) to purchase a used FJR, and then ride it home? I don't have one in mind, and not ready to buy until next year. But sometimes I see what looks like a great deal but the bike is 1000 miles away.
I've done both of my FJR purchases that way. The first was a '09 purchased from a guy in Alabama. I flew down and rode it home to Indiana some 630 miles in late February. I got lucky with the weather. The second was my current '16 that I bought from a guy out in Washington state. Flew out and rode that one home taking the scenic route in late May. Crossed mountains a few times so I experienced temps ranging from 80°F to 29°F with 4" of snow on the ground. Covered 2700+ miles on that trip. Both were an experience I'll never forget.

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
2009 x 2 FJR, 2004 Concours, 2017 XR650L
61 Posts
I bought my second FJR last summer. I saw an ad in Auto Trader while I was at sea and made an offer that was accepted within 20 minutes. When I returned to port, I hopped on a plane from Vancouver BC to Medicine Hat AB and rode it home; about 1200 miles.

·
Registered
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
82 Posts
I travelled from Connecticut to Vegas for a 2015. Rode it for 4000 miles in SoCal and shipped it home.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts