FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on flying across country (USA) to purchase a used FJR, and then ride it home? I don't have one in mind, and not ready to buy until next year. But sometimes I see what looks like a great deal but the bike is 1000 miles away.

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
199 Posts
I guess it all depends on how picky you are and how much free time you have.
I went from Abilene, TX to Greenville, SC... a 2,300 mile round trip hauling a 6x10 enclosed trailer to buy my FJR.
I wanted a MINT 2016 FJR1300A and the one I bought had 2k miles on it and in showroom condition.
It was also Ivan's bike so meticulously maintained.

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
2007 AE
188 Posts
Oh Heck that's half the fun of buying a new scoot=1000 mile trip back home.Fly and ride is a great way to settle into your new ride.Just make sure you get real good pictures of everything before you make the trip.I am sure I didn't need to say that.Also factor in the travel expenses for the air fare and return ride. If you have to make a quick trip it can get expensive.;)Its a adventure, Life is short,Live while you can Brother.

·
Registered
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
82 Posts
My current 2013 I purchased from Phoenix and had it shipped to Hartford CT for $463. I bought a one way ticket from CT to FL to purchase a R1150GS. The guys above have it nailed - half the fun is in the search and adventure. Go explore the unknown. On an FJR, they are sooooooo solid, I wouldn't think twice about throwing a leg over one and riding across the country. In fact, on the GS I told the guy I'll pay him the full amount for a new set of tires in advance as they were spent and I had a 1200 mile ride ahead of me.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,193 Posts
I pulled a trailer about 600 miles each way to buy mine. Considered a fly and drive but it hadn't been used in years and came with spare parts that could not be transported on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Nice weather? Fly and ride. I flew one way from Atlantic City NJ. to Chicago. Seller guaranteed me I could ride it home with no problems. Nice people, even offered to pick me up at the airport. 2 day ride home got me real familiar with the bike.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
What are your thoughts on flying across country (USA) to purchase a used FJR, and then ride it home? I don't have one in mind, and not ready to buy until next year. But sometimes I see what looks like a great deal but the bike is 1000 miles away.
I would be more likely to pull a trailer out and bring it back, but I'm retired so time's not that big an issue. I'd just fear that the bike might not be what I was told it was, and it'd be easier to turn around and come home empty-handed.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I flew to Las Vegas, NV and bought an 06 and rode it home. A touch over 800 miles. Bike had about 6500 miles so I planned on a new set of tires before I left town. Took a look and the rubber was good enough to get me home so installed Throttlemeister in the guys garage and headed out. No problems.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
I almost flew to Florida for an FJR..... once I factored in the travel expenses from this side of the border, I decided not to..... wouldn't hesitate to go get one with a trailer within "reasonable" distance, whatever that means (probably an overnighter). When I picked up my '07, a buddy and I did a 14 hour day trailer ride, round trip.

Reactions: twowheels

·
Registered
432 Posts
The man who swapped me out of my SuperTenere for his FJR trailered up from FL, 500+ miles. I wouldn't have done it nor was I asked to, he on the other hand offered to and it worked out great for both of us.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Road trips to pickup vehicles is almost always a fun adventure. I have purchased multiple snowmobiles and motorcycles that way, almost always "fly and drive", except the snowmobiles.......o_O

Wife and I are leaving soon to pick up a used Jeep Cherokee in California! Plan to make a 10 day road trip out of it coming back to Michigan!!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
My wife and I are into RVing (her more than me), and I suspect she'd jump at the chance for us and the mutt to take a road trip in the RV to look at a bike, especially if it was some place interesting. :)

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
625 Posts
I drove from Charlotte NC area to near Cleveland OH to buy the '07 a few years back.
Almost did a fly and ride to PHX for a 2014, until my current '13 popped up for sale 35 minutes away.

·
Registered
874 Posts
An FJR anywhere in the continental US is within riding distance home if you do a fly and ride. They are almost always fun. If you have a comfortable enough relationship with the seller to buy the bike in the first place there's no reason not to ride it home. I bought a BMW RT in Nampa ID last spring and rode it home to WI by way of Albuquerque, about 2800 mile trip. Worked out great and the seller and I became friends and are still in touch with each other. An FJR is a safer bet than an RT as a used bike too. Distance would not put me off any bike as long as you have time to fetch it or are willing to ship it.

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
82 Posts
When I was looking I had my search set up for 500 miles. ALmost bought one 7 hours away until the next day I saw the same year (14) with half the miles on it and only 1.5 hours away. I paid more for it (Dealer vs private seller) but my time and a full weekend vs a couple hours on a Saturday is worth something too, so it was about a wash.

I had just decided how far I was willing to drive to get one and kept searching different platforms until I found one. Son lives in Grand Haven MI, and Mom lives in northern PA, so I especially looked anywhere from those location back to my place as I could have doubled a visit with an MC purchase.

A fly in drive home saounds like a great adventure!

·
Registered
282 Posts
It wasn't an fjr, and it wasn't for me, but about 17yrs ago, a buddy and I went to Hell and back, in a day, to trailer an SV back home for him.
He was happy to own a bike from Hell, and I was happy that I went to Hell.
(Hell is in Michigan)

• Haha
Reactions: Aroxx and FJRChuck
1 - 20 of 35 Posts