FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how the rider operates an AE without the clutch lever.

That is,
1) Can you downshift to slow down?
2) Do you have to let up on the throttle to shift like you would with a lever?
3) Are there maintenance issues with this device?
4) Can you speed-shift without clashing gears?
5) Does anyone have one with an opinion on whether it's worth the money?
6) Is there a performance loss with this option?
7) When you start the engine, will it be in neutral or is it immediately in first gear? Perhaps it's like a car with an automatic transmission where it idles in gear requiring your foot on the brake. I've seen guys start their bike in gear and it's not a pretty sight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Go to www. yamaha.com It is all explained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
beachside39 said:

That is,
Yes the computer matches revs on the downshift. Just like an F1 car
No
Why? should there be
Of course, you can't beat the computer
Yes I am buying one.
No
7) When you start the engine, will it be in neutral or is it immediately in first gear? Perhaps it's like a car with an automatic transmission where it idles in gear requiring your foot on the brake. I've seen guys start their bike in gear and it's not a pretty sight.
The bike starts in neutral. You can select neutral any time you want. Start in 5 th- well if you want but not recommended. You are free to select any gear anytime just like the levered variety. This is not an automatic!!!!
See answers in quote

·
Registered
14 Posts
beachside39 said:

That is,
There's really nothing new here. Diesel trucks and Formula One cars have been using electric actuators for shifting gears for decades now. It is very efficient and accurate. The only thing new is the application on a motor cycle. Yamaha just happens to be the first motorcycle company to apply the application. You still do all the shifting when you want, just no more playing with the clutch. Personally I think Yamaha did this so you could free up your left hand to make it safer for waving at other motorcycle riders and be able to do other creative left handed things.

·
Registered
3 Posts
beachside39 said:

That is,
I maybe wrong but I don't believe they have come out into the marketplace yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ramse said:
beachside39 said:

That is,
I maybe wrong but I don't believe they have come out into the marketplace yet.
Your wrong, electic shift has been around for decades.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are talking about the AE it will come to the US in May. If you are talking about electronic transmission controls they have been around for a while in many different forms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tripletango said:
beachside39 said:

That is,
Yes the computer matches revs on the downshift. Just like an F1 car
No
Why? should there be
Of course, you can't beat the computer
Yes I am buying one.
No
The bike starts in neutral. You can select neutral any time you want. Start in 5 th- well if you want but not recommended. You are free to select any gear anytime just like the levered variety. This is not an automatic!!!!
See answers in quote
Thanks for the specifics Tripletango... I couldn't find anything more than generalities on the Yamaha website.

I know nothing about race cars or diesel trucks. This FJR may be a misfit for me but I'm going for it anyway. I say misfit because I'm a conservative rider. I was so bad as a teen that my riding buddies called me "Governor Gus". My name is Gus and they thought I had a governor on my bike. When they were doing wheelies, I was just rolling along.

My new FJR may convert me to the fast-track.

Thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nowt wrong with that, when they were having to change their stearing head and wheel bearings you'd still be rolling along! :lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the specifics Tripletango... I couldn't find anything more than generalities on the Yamaha website.

Thanks

Hey Gus the thing only goes as fast as you want it to! It is an easy riding bike. It is nice to know it will go like hell if necessary!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tripletango said:

Thanks

Hey Gus the thing only goes as fast as you want it to! It is an easy riding bike. It is nice to know it will go like hell if necessary!!
Good news.... I found a dedicated motorcycle racing track where I will be able to really take this FJR through it's paces. They require full leathers and training by their staff and will run along to keep everyone under relative control. They charge $85/day but it should be well worth it to not worry about running too fast on populated highways.

After I get comfortable with the FJR, I'm going to want to push it harder just to see what it can do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
[/quote]Good news.... I found a dedicated motorcycle racing track where I will be able to really take this FJR through it's paces. They require full leathers and training by their staff and will run along to keep everyone under relative control. They charge $85/day but it should be well worth it to not worry about running too fast on populated highways.

After I get comfortable with the FJR, I'm going to want to push it harder just to see what it can do.[/quote]

Where is the track, that is a good rate for a track day.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can see it now. Brand new FJR AE off in the weeds. Makes a tear come to one's eye :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news.... I found a dedicated motorcycle racing track where I will be able to really take this FJR through it's paces. They require full leathers and training by their staff and will run along to keep everyone under relative control. They charge $85/day but it should be well worth it to not worry about running too fast on populated highways.

After I get comfortable with the FJR, I'm going to want to push it harder just to see what it can do.[/quote]

Where is the track, that is a good rate for a track day.[/quote]

A coworker told me about the price of the track in North Florida. When I went to their website, I see that their prices are higher than I was told. They show $99/day weekdays and $125/day (preregistered) on weekends. http://www.jenningsgp.com/

·
Registered
127 Posts
beachside39 said:

After I get comfortable with the FJR, I'm going to want to push it harder just to see what it can do.
Where is the track, that is a good rate for a track day.[/quote]

A coworker told me about the price of the track in North Florida. When I went to their website, I see that their prices are higher than I was told. They show $99/day weekdays and $125/day (preregistered) on weekends. http://www.jenningsgp.com/[/quote]

Still a good price

·
Registered
12 Posts
gr8eyes said:
I saw that saturday. It doesn't sound like the "automatic", "scooter" alot of people were calling it.
I watched "Transporter 2" on video yesterday. He was haulin in a fancy low sportscar, pulling a small lever on the steering wheel with his right index finger. Like a turn signal wand but on the wrong side. I'm assuming that's the electric shifter. Didn't seem to slow him down any. :lol:

Seriously for a car with limited foot space great idea. For a bike, my wife loves her CVT Burgman and would like an electric shift even more. The clutch lever hurts her but she would otherwise still like to shift. AS I get older and dumber, but still like to ride fast, a failsafe electric shift makes sense.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's a great link, thanks triple-t. It helps explain my major concern, ie spirited downshifting when setting up a corner entrance. Sounds like the clutch will disengage when you yank on the frt brake lever. It sounds like one could still blip and slip the clutch into the next lowest gear, but one at a time only if revs stay too high, which is no big deal. However, it does state the system will not work any faster than a manual system in given conditions, contrary to all the F-1 comparisions, and emphasizes its design feature/purpose is for comfort, *not* performance. But, it may be phrased that way for liability issues. I can hardly wait to hear how it works on a track. And if anybody thinks a CVT isn't next, I suggest you read-up on the subject, as "scooter" tech, is making major inroads in motorcycling, and the FJR is no exception. Not that that's a bad thing, but I like shifting/using a clutch. It's a central part of the motorcycling thrill, but I can see the cutting edge/F-1-ish technical attraction to the E model, *if* they got it right, after "years" of testing. I mean, you can buy an automatic Corevette, right, so what's the diff? Choice is always good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
[ And if anybody thinks a CVT isn't next, I suggest you read-up on the subject, as "scooter" tech, is making major inroads in motorcycling, and the FJR is no exception.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's a look at the next thing...http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-news/honda-e4-01.htm

Along with the EN-01 which is a 600+/- VTwin "Sport Cruiser" with 27" seat height and buck rogers styling...and a CVT.

Choice is good. You don't have to buy one if you don't like it. But when they get all the bugs worked out, CVT makes the ride much more enjoyable to many people. By taking shifting out of the equation you can concentrate on entry and exit points and braking. After riding the Burgman400, you can feel how the CVT is always in the sweet spot for torque, making the 400 feel a lot stronger than it is.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts