FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling plastics post crash and noticed that one of the bolts that attach the mirror to the bike broke away from the mirror base. I know the base is a cast part, but is it repairable? I don't think glue or epoxy is going to cut it and jb weld likely won't hold that well either. I don't believe you can weld it because it wouldn't take the heat. The only other solution I though of was drilling through the base and running a bolt through the base and attaching a nut to secure it to the stay.

That almost sounds like too much work to be worthwhile. It's actually an FZ1 mirror. Maybe the solution is to find an FZ1 mirror base plate and swap the parts. Any other suggestions? Anything you tried that worked out? Thanks for the input. B.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
So the part that broke is the base of the mirror itself? Throw it away and buy a new one. Fz1 mirrors are maybe $50

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$75 last time I checked, yes broken base.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want the real ones (even used) I prefer oem mirrors. I stopped using after-market mirrors on my FJRs a long time ago. Thanks for looking though, appreciate the effort. I'll go back to ebay and look for lightly used units, if I can't figure out a way to salvage what I've got.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
The Emgo's are actually quite good. I had OEM FZ1's as well... it's yer money.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Redhead, +++
167 Posts
I want the real ones (even used) I prefer oem mirrors. I stopped using after-market mirrors on my FJRs a long time ago. Thanks for looking though, appreciate the effort. I'll go back to ebay and look for lightly used units, if I can't figure out a way to salvage what I've got.
Have a badly damaged 2012 FJR right mirror with an intact base from my parts bike. (Beautiful Dark Blue) (See for sale post "Gen 2 Wheels, Seats, Tires, Power Commander V, Dale Walker Holeshot Performance Slip Ons and More ")

Will be glad to give it to you for free, if you cover postage. Hope this will help you out.

Eric

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Hey I just saw the words "post crash". You OK?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You might try drilling a hole into the cast base centered where the original bolt was located: option A - use an M6 drill bit and only drill deep so as not to punch out thru the other side and epoxy an M6 stud into it, or option B - use an M6 tap drill and tap threads in the base for a piece of M6 all-thread. I would go with option A as it is the easiest. If you do, use a file and rough up the M6 stud shank so it will be gripped by the epoxy well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have a badly damaged 2012 FJR right mirror with an intact base from my parts bike. (Beautiful Dark Blue) (See for sale post "Gen 2 Wheels, Seats, Tires, Power Commander V, Dale Walker Holeshot Performance Slip Ons and More ")

Will be glad to give it to you for free, if you cover postage. Hope this will help you out.

Eric
Eric; That's very generous of you, thank you. I was contemplating fixing an oem FZ1 mirror (that I used on my FJR). I have since put the oem FJR mirrors back on (I'm currently flying a 2004). So as much as I appreciate the really kind offer, I have no use for your base plate. But thank you for reaching out!! Baz

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey I just saw the words "post crash". You OK?
Yeah, I'm fine. I was riding like an asshole and I paid for the privilege. The bike looks a little nastier than usual, but a hand-me-down 2004 FJR with 109,000 on the clock should not be pristine. Thanks for asking. I'll reach out at the next event I find, maybe we'll get to ride together. B.

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Redhead, +++
167 Posts
Eric; That's very generous of you, thank you. I was contemplating fixing an oem FZ1 mirror (that I used on my FJR). I have since put the oem FJR mirrors back on (I'm currently flying a 2004). So as much as I appreciate the really kind offer, I have no use for your base plate. But thank you for reaching out!! Baz
No problem! That is what this website is for - FJR owners helping each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might try drilling a hole into the cast base centered where the original bolt was located: option A - use an M6 drill bit and only drill deep so as not to punch out thru the other side and epoxy an M6 stud into it, or option B - use an M6 tap drill and tap threads in the base for a piece of M6 all-thread. I would go with option A as it is the easiest. If you do, use a file and rough up the M6 stud shank so it will be gripped by the epoxy well.
Garauld, You are the man! Thank you, that was the info I was looking for. Because it's soft metal, I might drill through and use a headed bolt with enough length to secure it to the bike. I'm not a fan of epoxy as I tend to use excessive torque on my bolts and epoxy won't hold up. Can't tell you how many nylon windshield bolts I've snapped over the years before I stopped over tightening. Thank you for the input, much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts