FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Joe Rocket mesh pants and riding jacket, but what else do some of you wear while riding in 95 plus?

Anyone try Coolmax? Long sleeve or short?

And I know.....drink plenty of H2O(sport drinks). I have a camel back for that.....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
If it's just brutally hot, you can wear a damp t-shirt under your mesh jacket. the evaporative cooling effect is very noticeable-for awhile.

In 95+, you're probably just gonna be a bit hot.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Evaporative cooling vest is the way to go. Through summer here we regularly ride in 95F+ weather with high humidity. Ours are from here: http://www.coolingapparel.com/ and follow the link to Cooling Vests. These are really excellent, and one of the first things packed for any trip, any time. In cooler weather they can be used as a great warming waistcoat too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Buy an '06 Model....They are cooler for starters :crylarf:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hmmmmmm

When it gets 95 to 100 degrees it's easy for me to stay cool. I leave the bike parked in the garage and ride in my car with the AC on full blast. :ale: :crylarf:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run with the mesh jacket and a vest from Colorado Coolwear. It's lower tech than a lot of the other "cool" products but its also about 1/2 the price and lasts 6-8 hrs and re-charges in 5 minutes. Road all over southern Utah last summer in temps over 105 and it was like airconditioning

·
Registered
372 Posts
I tried wet cotton t-shirt under a mesh jacket, worked great for about 1/2 hour, then decided to go with a Sahara Cooling vest from Joe Rocket, very nice, lasts for hours. Drink lots of H20 with a Camel back in the tank bag, stays suprisingly cold if use ice and water.
Draggin' Kevlar lined jeans, wet them down if it gets really hot, they cool you off nicely too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like something from Star Wars. I would rather just wear mesh clothing, you might scare seom little kids while passing cars. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't understand the question in UK, I have seen 95degrees on a thermometer but not ridng a bike!!

Teejay

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I run with the mesh jacket and a vest from Colorado Coolwear. It's lower tech than a lot of the other "cool" products but its also about 1/2 the price and lasts 6-8 hrs and re-charges in 5 minutes. Road all over southern Utah last summer in temps over 105 and it was like airconditioning
Thanks SO much for this info. Just ordered one. Only wish I'd done so 3 months ago!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I bungee one of these
http://www.breg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/kodiak-cold-therapy
to the back seat and put the cold part between my shirt and my jacket. {too cold to put on bare skin}, though I think I will also purchase one of those evaporative vests mentioned earlier in this thread. The combination of the tow should get you through any weather, and if the evaporative shirt is doing a good enough job you can swtch off the pump to the other thing and save the ice water for when the shirt starts to dry out. The Ice water in the cooler lasts 2-3 hours which is all I can stay in the saddle without a break anyway.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just bought one of these and used it this past weekend on a 250 mile ride in 95-102 degree temps and very disappointed. I wear an air mesh jacket and the cooling vest seemed to block the airflow such that it seemed hotter.

What works best for me is a cotton shirt, air mesh jacket, and dump a liter of water on your jacket / shirt just before you hit the road. Sure, it feels funky, but works better.... for me, than the cooling vest!

Evaporative cooling vest is the way to go. Through summer here we regularly ride in 95F+ weather with high humidity. Ours are from here: http://www.coolingapparel.com/ and follow the link to Cooling Vests. These are really excellent, and one of the first things packed for any trip, any time. In cooler weather they can be used as a great warming waistcoat too.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
http://www.ldcomfort.com/

LD gear is expensive but worth it. It wicks very well and is great in hot weather. I have their shorts, long johns and long sleeve shirts. When it gets over 90 I soak the shirt with water and it'll keep me cool for about an hour under a mesh jacket. It's suppose to work even better under a regular jacket with just a little air flow. Unlike soaking a cotton shirt the LD does not look or even feel wet. I prefer the long johns to the shorts in general for overall comfort but can't get myself to wear them in the heat. I use them more when the weather cools a bit below 75 as an extra layer.

I've tried a lot of different under garments but LD is a winner.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.