FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone lucky enough to already be in the possession of an '06 FJR please let me know how the new linked front and rear brakes behave in the corners if/when you trail the rear brake? I recently took a spin on the '05 Honda VFR800 were the brake linkage is in both directions, i.e. front to rear and rear to front. The later really messes with your lines when you try to trail the rear on the corners.
According to the info on the Yamaha website the '06 FJR seems to have the brake linkage in both directions, I'm just curious if Yamaha did this better then Honda, enabling people to still trail the rear effectively…

Standard equipment Unified Braking System w/ABS: The front brake lever activates six of the eight front braking pistons; the rear brake pedal activates two rear pistons and the other two front pistons-for balanced anti-lock braking in all conditions.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelfeatures/180/0/features.aspx

·
Registered
163 Posts
Oh, boy!

Personally, IMHO, etc, I'm a firm believer in LBS - for the road. My VFR and Wing had 'em. No matter how stupid I got in the corners or entering the corners, they never let me down. Never locked a rear wheel up either. I think most of my rear tire wear on the FJR is from locking the rear (I use the rear brake a lot). Still, when setting up for a turn, I never felt tapping the rear brake didn't help settle the chassis...

Having said that, I'm prolly a 7/10th's rider at best and not very keen on riding public roads as if on a race track. As a safety item, I'm all over LBS and ABS for bikes.

Again, JMHO. YMMV, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Trailing the rear brake is handy for uphill hairpin bends - lets you keep the power on into the bend at quite slow speeds.

BMW have unlinked the brakes when the rear is applied, and Honda "modified" the operation.

So at this time it is enough to stop me replacing the bike with another FJR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts