FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a dealer that stocks the Yamaha rear drive fluid. They all recommend the Honda fluid used for the Gold Wing. Do you think the Honda fluid will be OK for the FJR?

·
Registered
143 Posts
The rear drive is the most Low tech part of the bike. It's just a set of bevel cut gears, any 80-90 weight gear oil will work fine. When's the last time anyone ever thought about the differential lub in their car? It's even more low tech on the bike, which doesn't even have spiders gears. It couldn't be a more simple set up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The "special" FJR final drive oil is apparently formulated to foam less. So whether this is because the FJR is capable of higher speed than a lot of shafted biked or if FJR riders are the ones being shafted ...

Lots of threads about this on the previous site by people with more experience and clues than I.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Andydownunder said:
The "special" FJR final drive oil is apparently formulated to foam less. So whether this is because the FJR is capable of higher speed than a lot of shafted biked or if FJR riders are the ones being shafted ...

Lots of threads about this on the previous site by people with more experience and clues than I.
Seem to recall from the old site that someone quoted a Yamaha tech as saying their lube was recommended for 'sustained high speed running'. I think this meant 100 mph+ continuous for long periods. How often do any of us do that in the real world.
Any good quality final drive oil will do the trick IMHO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote;

All gear lub and oil sold has anti foam agents. The gears on any car or bike differential are all spining away at high speed. Most of the gear lub comes from the same refineries marketed under different names. What you go by is the clasification of the manufacturer and listed on the container. You will find that most any lub you pick up at the auto store or bike shop will meet these clasifications.
Just to repeat though the bevel gears on a bike are about as basic as it can get. Your car differential puts more stress on it's lub due to the extra spider gears working in corners and the extra torque stresses due to them, especially if you have limited slip, and most people never think about their gear lub.

·
Registered
143 Posts
20valves said:
Of course the Honda products will explode if used in a Yamaha.
:lol: :lol: Just think what would happen if someone were to use BMW oil, or much worst Harley oil? We might have a nuclear melt down! :shock:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
feeling much better now - but

Hmmm.. if all these gear lubes are pretty much the same why did Yamaha go to the trouble to attach a metal plate to the drive shaft cover stating - Genuine Yamaha Drive Fluid?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was in business for twenty years and tags like that are for making MONEY don't you think Yamaha knows that. ride safe 8)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bet if you look at a Honda, BMW, Suzuki, etc most of them will have a simular tag. Like starwolf says, they don't make any money if you buy lub from someone else.

·
Registered
237 Posts
[/quote] Just think what would happen if someone were to use BMW oil, or much worst Harley oil? We might have a nuclear melt down! :shock:[/quote]

Actually Harley oil is pretty good stuff. Their dino oil has an excellent additives package and works well in all motorcycle engines. The new SYN 20w50 is probably one of the most heat tolerant oils out there. I have my doubts about running it in every lubrication application on the motorcycle though, even if Harley says you can do it. (BTW as Harleys are belt drive, there is no data as to how this would work on a rear drive unit :wink: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts