FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And finally got a good look at a Tracer 900 GT.

Had been watching vids and reading about this bike in earnest most of last summer, when I started contemplating getting back into riding. Just had NEVER seen one in person, either on the road, or parked somewhere, or at a dealer.

Yesterday one of my local dealers had one in stock, on the floor.

Have to say, I really liked the size, weight, and seating position. The cockpit seemed very comfortable, with TONS of leg room, the only thing I would have to change would be to get a larger windshield, as the stock one, which has a small range of adjustment (manually by hand), felt like using a hand towel to dry off after a shower, compared to the Yamaha Touring screen on my FJR, lol!

Wish there was a Yamaha test ride event in my area so I could test ride one.

As used models get cheaper and become available, I could definitely see picking one of these up in the future - the seating position and cockpit reminded me a lot of another bike that I've "test sat" on in the dealership, and could see buying in the future - a Kawasaki Versys 1000LT.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
319 Posts
T9GT looks cooler in person too.
Guy at work selling his MT09 so I took it for a "test ride" over the weekend.
Groovie ride for sure and the the GT platform would be sweet.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
T9GT looks cooler in person too.
Agree.
It was a nice looking machine.

they had a used FJ09 on the floor, set up for touring. It looked nice too.
Anybody know what the big differences between it and the Tracer900 are?

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
The FJ's are dated in comparison to the T900GT's. Fueling issues, fuglier than the T900GT- and that's hard to do- and lacks the all important cruise control. Harder to believe, Yamaha made the new T9GT even fuglier. Not sure who's designing these bikes at Yamaha but they ought to be bushwhacked.

In thinking of selling my FJR, I too want to downsize and the T900GT, w/all its flaws, has been on my list. I saw one at a local shop a couple weeks back and couldn't believe how tall it sat and how horrible the seat was. Generally tho and by all reports, it's a pretty solid bike that needs a different screen, seat and the computer flashed to make it acceptable. Then you just gotta get past its looks.

Sadly, the more affordable lightweight ST market is pretty thin and its only direct competition really is the '20+ Ninja 1000, a bike I previously owned/loved and will likely end up upon again. It's got all the amenities of the T900GT, better looks and has 30 more RWHP. All you need is to add luggage and boom, all done.
Lee

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I haven’t ridden the tracer. I rode a new versys LT. Excellent bike. Would never replace the FJR, but it was so light and smooth, it’d be a joy for closer stuff. Shorter rides.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Like the T900GT, I find the current edition of the V1K to be another wonderful machine that is incredibly unattractive & damn expensive. I found the last gen V1K to be a looker but sadly, it lacked cruise control. She's also a little portly, weighing in close to 600 lbs.
Lee

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I rode a t900gt 2 years ago looking to replace my fjr and all I’ll say is you should ride one before you buy. So unless there’s been a lot of major updates it’s no longer on my lit’s.

The MT09 was a hoot to ride as was the FJ09 in spite of the fueling issues, they’re just fun, rowdy bikes, that incourage crazy behavior. The t900gt is just a very neutered thing with a very tall stance and possibly the worst seat ever invented ( Yamaha optional touring ).

looks wise it looks like they just threw whatever they had at it, no style at all but the tall, claptrap style is what’s popular these days. So I guess I’ll keep my beautiful fastest color red fjr,,,,,, maybe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm waiting for the Tracer 9 to start hitting the dealerships in May.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,405 Posts
Tracer 900GT was on my list as well, had some test rides, not yet convinced. It has fully adjustable suspension the Tracer and FJ09 don't have, in addition to the cruise. The Tracer 9 is even fuglier. Pretty much agree with spectreman's assessment.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well that solves it then... back to Gen 1 FZ-1 as Wife Inc wants a Ninja 4 hunnert...

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
47 Posts
$.02-just my opinion. I owned a 2015 FJ09 for a year and a half before moving to the FJR. It feels almost razor sharp and carves like a sport bike, you look and it just goes there. Cruising down the road, glancing at the scenery, the bike will move in that direction. Fan the clutch, and she'll loft the front wheel easily, or it will cruise around happily. Strange/weird/different 3-cylinder buzz/vibration, and more of it over a 4. No where near the wind protection of the FJR-- and that's with the "touring windscreen". Very wind sensitive... every large vehicle will move you around. I was a little nervous with it on the interstate. Windy day? Forget about it... no fun as you're fighting the wind the whole ride. Its kind of a sail... On the 2015, at least, the forks are crap. Pounded the hell out of me and brake dive big time, no matter how carefully I adjusted them. Fixed that with a re-valve and springs. The result was magical, however. Rear shock felt fine to me once sag was adjusted, but too soft 2-up. I suspect it would be sensitive to tire profile choices, much like a sport bike. I ran Bridgestone Battleaxe's.

Having ridden/commuted/raced a FZR600 for nearly a decade, I still loved the handling. Wife, was "meh" and would only do short rides. She loves the FJR. While lighter over all than the FJR, it carries all its weight way up high. Once stopped, especially on uneven surfaces, once it starts tipping, over it goes. I'm embarrassed to say I dropped mine 3 times. It was just too tall for me at 5'9" 31" inseam and both balls of my feet on the ground. Since its taller and narrower than the FJR, my feet always planted close to the bike, so I wasn't able to splay my legs to gain some leverage and hold the bike once it tipped beyond a certain point. There are various techniques to prevent that, however. 2 hours on the bike felt like I had been sitting on the edge of a 2x4.

Now that I've experienced what a "sport touring" bike is/can be, in the FJR, I wouldn't call the FJ09 a sport touring machine. It has a very focused purpose. More a sport bike for old guys (like me) who can't fold themselves up anymore.

Oh, I'd also add that the riding position always felt too upright to me. The bars are quite wide and I didn't feel locked into what the bike was doing. I know weird, but from riding a sport bike for so long, sitting that far upright doesn't feel as confidence inspiring as the more slightly forward position of the FJR. I raised the forks on my FJR by .35" and where the FJR required a lot of muscle to lean it further than say, 30 degrees, now its much better. I can easily lean over into the chicken strips. Like a sport bike, the FJ09 will keep leaning over until you stop it. So if you have the eggs, it can easily scrub tires right to the edge.

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
2021 FJR
103 Posts
When I decided to get back in to motorcycles after 30-some years, I was initially look at the Tracer. My wife used to ride so I though we'd maybe get a Tracer and if we decided we were in, she'd keep that and I'd get the FJR. She decided she wasn't that interested so I went straight to the FJR. When I went to the dealership to get it a week and a half ago they had a Tracer sitting next to it. Wow, it is a nice bike. I actually thought about getting both bit I restrained myself.

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14
1 - 13 of 13 Posts