FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, trailered the feejr to Carmel, CA from Vermont. Couple of stops along the way, 8 days coast to coast. Today, left Carmel, took a right and went down (South) Highway 1 for 80 miles and then back. The most gorgeous, outright unbelievable ride in the world. Did Cape Breton in Nova Scotia last August, it was pretty good, but this road is almost obscenely beautiful. Saw one other Feejr, but we were going in opposite directions, just time for a wave. If there are any riders out there who want to just knock their own socks off with an unbelievably beautiful twisty, almost all of which is in good repair, THIS IS THE RIDE. The Monterrey Peninsula, through Big Sur to San Simeon and beyond. The effing best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rode Hwy 1 out from the Redwoods down to Fort Bragg last June. I had one of the best vacations of my life riding the Hwy 1 and all of the roads between I-5 and the coast through the Trinity Mtns of Northern California. I made a video of my ride, maybe I'll post it on here some time.

As a new FJR owner, I look forward to taking the bike down there to have another go at it. Last June I did it on a Honda Shadow 1100.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Living in Paso Robles, California I am fortunate to be just 25 minutes from HWY 1 by Cambria. When the summer really heats up here in Paso Robles nothing beats a run up the coast on HWY 1. It's a wonderful day ride to Monterey and back. It's like 200 miles of mostly gravel free twisty road, no amimals (I've ever seen at least), and unsurpassed beauty. Absolutly love it every time. Starting to get to the point of really knowing each of the turns after riding this road for a few years now.

VFRMike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
NMCoolBlue said:
VFRMike,

Do you see many cops on that road? How about traffic?
Not too many LEO's, but summer traffic is horrendous. Best to hit 1 after school starts, during the week and before the rain season starts. After the rain season, there could be closures or detours owing to slides, sinks and such.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw 1 CHP in a Ford Explorer in 2 dys' riding. Right now, traffic isn't bad during the week, but on weekends, it does get jammed up, especially with little old people. I would imagine during the summerf with a lot of RV traffic, the road could be awful; there are lots of miles where passing is 'pucker up and let er rip' time, altho a feejr really can dig when you want to go.Last year I did the Oregon line to Cape Mendocino on 1, and while it is a very nice ride, it isn't as spectacular as the southerly portions, IMO. As stated above, there were signs of rock slides, but they were clear by mid-March. There was one humongous hole right smack in the road, which I dutifully reported to both the CHP and a Caltrans crew I spotted. And MONDAY, I'm gonna ride the sucka again!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Loki, I did that bit in September '04, nice ride, no traffic. Loved every bit, that upper part of 101 thru' the redwoods is uberschweet. There were five of up scraping pegs thru' there. Ride safe LOKI those roads are intoxicating to say the least, stay sharp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NMCoolBlue,

You know I don't really see any LEO's on HWY 1 from Cambria to Monterey. The price for making a mistake on this road is very high as it's a long way down to the ocean- I think this is part of why not too many LEO's are frequenting this road.

VFRMike.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are absolutely correct; the road is so beautiful and the curves are so intoxicating, if you lose concentration for just a leeetle bit, you could be sailing into the blue Pacific, which may be 300 feet below you. I did notice a CHP helicopter making a run at road height, above the ocean, maybe checking for folks who had 'taken a flyer' and were lying on the beach. Then again, sweeping along that road, with your concentration cranked way up, ain't that what riding's all about? I swear, sometimes its better than sex.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll do it again this year in July. :D One of my favorite parts of the trip north to Laguna Seca Raceway for Moto G/P & AMA Series. 8) I always go up on thursday and return on monday. Gives me all day each way and very little weekday traffic. Definitely one of the highlights of my year. And by far one of the most beautiful rides I do on a yearly basis. :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Loki said:
... Saw one other Feejr, but we were going in opposite directions, just time for a wave.
Check w/Orangevalefjr, I think I recall him posting that he had passed another feejer around Carmel area about this same time, he was inquiring as well, you'll have to ck w/him at the fjrforum site after hacking repairs....give them a couple more days

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ya buncha friggen slackers!!

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLES WHITHOUT PICS, so I'll save ya :D

Here some pics of different trips on Highway 1...

This ones above SF....

The Big Sur area

Way north of SF

It doesnt get any better than this :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome to California, best bike riding state in the U.S.! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just in from a 5 day trip from San Diego to Monterey and back with my 18 yo son Trevor on his Kaw 500R, me on the 04 FJR. Concur with all of the above... Hwy 1 is a most beautifull and fine ride. We had planned the trip mid-week to miss the traffic and boy did that work out well. We had the road mostly to ourselves from Cambria to Carmel. Getting there:
1. SD to Pismo Beach via Hwy 1 thru Malibu, busy but sweet. Side trip up Malibu Canyon Raod to Mulholland and back down to Hwy. 1.
2. From Pismo Beach take Hwy. 1 to Old Creek Road to Hwy. 46 to Paso Robles.
3. From PR, take Nacimiento Road to Lockwood to Fort Hunter Ligget to Mission Road to Ferguson Road and thru coast mountains and down to Hwy. 1 Big Sur. Best coast views ever, anywhere, anytime.
4. South on Hwy 1 to Cambria and bed down in any of the hotels on Moonstone Lane (on the shore).
5. 10-15 minutes to Hearst Castle.
6. We stayed at the Treebones Resort (very cool Yurt accomodations) up the road but next time will be in Cambria.
5. North up to Monterey (the 'Ride'). We went north/ south a few times just to let it all sink in.
6. Monterey to Hwy 68 to Carmel Valley Road to 101. Stop at Laguna Seca for a bin there done that.
7. 101 to Hwy 166/ 33 to Ojai (to SD).
7. Could not sqeeze in Hwy. 2 Angles Crest to Big Bear and Palm Springs.
We banzied Monterey to SD just for kicks (+/-12 hrs overall with stops). Thanks to Rocky Mayer Saddles and the new seat- like butta' and the Cal Scientific windscreen. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts