FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I embark on a major diagnostics session , my 04 16,000km ABS has developed a significant vibration when going at sppeds greater than 110mph, anyone else encountered this? I have newish BT020 tyres (with ultraseal in them), head bearings are OK as are wheel bearings. The main recent change is the addition of v-strom hand guards which maybe upsetting the airflow. Will rip them off at some stage to test theory but if anyone else has them fitted and no vibration would be good to hear it so I can maybe discount it and look for another cause

·
Registered
92 Posts
vibrtion

My best guess is rebalance the front tire. This is what helps me. I dont thing the guars have to do anything with it.
Marc

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Welcome to the site jeremyr62.

Did you have the tyres fitted before the hand guards?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It doesn't mean it is the same problem, but:

I had the same with Ultraseal in the front tyre - no problem before, but as soon as the Ultraseal was put in, I got a very bad vribration problem at-----------110 mph and above.

The tyre was static balanced already, but re-balanced with Ultraseal (twice). I could not make the problem go away. I cleaned out the Ultraseal and re-balanced and the problem was resolved.

However, I did not try dynamic balance (on a machine with the wheel spinning), may be I should.

Also, I discussed this some time back and no one else had the same problem at that time, so maybe I was unlucky.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guards were fitted long after the tyres and ultraseal. I top ended the bike soon after fitting the tyres and I am pretty sure I have done the same with the ultraseal in. I have used ultraseal a lot and never had this problem before. I did notice that the last batch I put in was blue instead of purple and seemed less viscous.

Well it isn't obvious then so I'll start doing stuff.
Thanks for responses.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I would take off the hand guards first as it just maybe the air flow over them thats causing the problem. Also it's the easiest to do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not the hand guards. Took them off, still vibrates. Raised and lowered the shield while it was vibrating away, no change. Must be out of balance front tyre. I'll try putting a bit more ultraseal in first as I may have scrimped on the stuff and haven't manged to coat all the inside of the tyre. If that doesn't work I'll try to get it dynamically balanced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

With regards to balancing a wheel with ultraseal in the tyre. I strongly doubt this is possible using the static method.

Ultraseal always recommend that a wheel is properly balanced BEFORE any Ultraseal is added.

If you take it to get dynamically balanced, then you need to make the fitter aware of a specific procedure to be used when ultraseal is in the tyre. I don't have the procedure at hand but could get it for you if you fail to find it in your instructions or on the web.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, a friend of mine installs Ultraseal, and I have used it for several years (without any issues whatsoever). As long as you follow the instructions AND prerequisites, then you should not experience any issues.

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tyre was balanced before I put the ultraseal in and there was no vibration at all. The problem seems to have arisen progressively because I am pretty sure I didn't have the vibration for quite a while after putting the ultraseal in. This is the first time this has happened and I have used the stuff for years. It might not be the ultraseal at all of course but from trawling usenet it does appear to be an issue.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I also have been using Ultraseal for over 10 years and had no problems at all, so I would very suprised if it is!

Could you have lost a wheel balancer weight?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Jeremy62, not sure where you live, your profile is vacant of details, but I wonder if colder temperatures could result in the ultraseal accumulating to a small degree on the inside of the tire. Warms up on a ride and distributes itself almost uniformly, but remains viscous as it must. Park the bike, it settles slightly then takes longer to completely redistribute evenly inside the tire in the colder weather. High speed vibration? Maybe.
Now if you are in Australia or Florida or somewhere else hot, I will just take this theory and toss it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My problems happened in mid-summer (UK)

It didn't matter how long ridden, settled, parked, whatever.

The wheel was already balanced befor the Ultraseal.

I would repeat though, didn't get it dynamically balanced, only static.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
West coast of Ireland. Never gets too cold here courtesy of the Gulf stream (for the time being at least). I'm not sure about cold making it worse. I did a 1,000km trip last week (albeit into UK where it is colder)and it vibrated everytime I tried even when the tyres were good and warm.

I will put more in and if that doesn't cure it try dynamic balance and then removal as a final option.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Shouldn't really put more in as it's harder to balance, the amount stated is just enough to cover the internal surface area of the tyre.

Maybe this is the problem that some members are having with ultraseal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe. Anyway, bikeshop refused to even try to dynamically balance the wheel so the stuff is being taken out and the wheel rebalanced to see if this fixes it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The vibration has dissappeared along with the ultraseal. Seems my experience exactly mirrors Rabbit1300. I wont be putting it in any more tyres.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It just a shame that your bike shop wouldn't try and balance it, as that may well have been the solution and we would have got an answer one way or the other.

I still have Ultraseal in the rear though and intend to put more in my next tyre.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts