FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Does anybody use a Hide a Key on their bike? I have one hidden on my truck but am kinda leery about it on on the bike.
I'm carful with my keys but stuff happens and would hate to be stuck somewhere with no key.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Why not just zip-tie it somewhere on the bike, out of sight?

My Klim jacket has a snap hook inside one of the breast pockets. That's where I keep my spare key.

Haynes

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thread an extra key onto the shoelace of one of my riding boots/shoes before the eye hole which is second from the top. Then I tuck the pointy end under the next cross lace or two below that so it is pointing toward my toe. This works great and the key can't fall off unless you untie your shoes and pull the laces through at least two eyelets. The tongue of the boot/shoe keeps it from digging into the top of your foot or your shin.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,411 Posts
I keep my extra key in a drawer in my desk with the extra keys for every other vehicle we have. Don't carry extra keys for the house or cars.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea but I don't always have boots on. I was thinking about it being somewhere on the bike. I was looking at behind one of the quick release side panels, maybe by the coolant tank. Somewhere out of sight but that I can still get to with no tools. On my truck I have a key taped to a cable (one the has no plastic on it), it looks like it belongs there so someone looking wouldn't notice a key was there.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi all,

Does anybody use a Hid a Key on their bike? I have one hidden on my truck but am kinda leery about it on on the bike.
I'm carful with my keys but stuff happens and would hate to be stuck somewhere with no key.

find a location that is NOT obvious

zip tie the key to a secure object out o sight

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
I have an inside zipped up pocket in my jacket where I keep my bike paperwork and spare keys. I'd want one if I'm 1000 miles from home.....

Reactions: Haynes

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Spare key sewn into the inside pocket of each riding jacket.

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
98 Posts
If I didn't have 13 different riding jackets (yeah I have a problem) I'd go that route.
I usually just put on in my luggage for the particular bike I happen to be riding.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I had a spare key made that's just flat -- no plastic head. I made a cardboard sleeve for it and carry it in my wallet. It's not a complete failsafe because I have been known, in a heavy downpour, to put my wallet in a pannier.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
I guess I should explain, I'd like an extra key on the bike but it's not really feasible... Canadian and Euro bikes (and cars) have immobilizer keys, and in the FJR's case, one is given a Master red key you keep in a safe place at home. You get two programmed black keys and if you lose one, you can program a new one as long as you have the master red key. The FJR system only allows two programmed keys at a time in the ECU's memory (Honda allows up to 4). One can have an extra cut, and you can use it for any lock, including turning the ignition on and crank it, but it will not start.
So, my spare black key is in my jacket, which I use year round. I don't want to lose it if something happens to the bike. If I could have more than one spare, then I would have both one in my jacket and one hidden somewhere on the bike.

Reactions: Haynes
1 - 18 of 18 Posts