FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys looking for some advice and hopefully some actual first hand knowledge/experience. I have a 2015ES that has LED driving lights and LED marker lights and the factory LED "accent" lights build into the headlight assembly. Every time I look at those yellow Halogen headlights compared to the LED's I cringe. I would light to find some headlight bulbs that will be as white as the LED'S and still have a good beam pattern that is actually useful. I have been down the road of swapping LED bulbs into standard headlight assemblies and have been vastly underwhelmed. I see Ray had good luck with the F-2 bulbs in the Gen2's, but on the other hand Russ took his out of a Gen3. I have also tried the Silverstar Halogens in my car and they did not last very long. So this brings me to the HID's, something I have no experience with at all. I understand they require a ballast and warm up time, and sometimes relays. These things are a not a deal breaker. I just what a proper functioning light that looks good with the other LED's.
I did a search on the forum but did not see anything recent so I figured I would ask around, especially since this stuff changes so quickly. Is anyone using HID's? If so what brands are the best and is there any interference with Blue Tooth devices, i.e. Sena headsets and Garmin GPS's? I would also appreciate input, especially from any members that have actual experience with HID's.
Thanks in advance.

Pete

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
So you're basing your desire for HIDs on 2 other's opinions? I'm quite happy with the LED bulbs I put in my '015. My 3 other FJR riding buddies thought they worked well also. I think you might want to give them a try and see for yourself.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
I don't know what you think HID's are going to do better than LED's. Russ seemed to think the reflectors aren't designed for it. Well, the modern LED's are very close to halogen filament placement, HID's may be similar.... IMHO your beam pattern won't be a lot different than the halogens...... LED's way cheaper and easier, brigher, whiter. I wouldn't even bother with HID.
I put the F2's in my 2014, and thought they were just fine, but that's my opinion..... for $40 try them and decide if you like them or not.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
497 Posts
I am running Morimoto h4 2 stroke bulbs and they have an excellent beam pattern. Puts the oem bulbs to shame. They are pricey but if you shop around you can find better than their website prices.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what you think HID's are going to do better than LED's. Russ seemed to think the reflectors aren't designed for it. Well, the modern LED's are very close to halogen filament placement, HID's may be similar.... IMHO your beam pattern won't be a lot different than the halogens...... LED's way cheaper and easier, brigher, whiter. I wouldn't even bother with HID.
I put the F2's in my 2014, and thought they were just fine, but that's my opinion..... for $40 try them and decide if you like them or not.
Ray,
My experience with the LED’s are similar to Russ’s. I have tried various LED bulbs in 7” round headlights. They are bright as hell but the beam focus was IMHO terrible. I left the LED in my Norton because I don’t ride it at night, but for my GW I bought a 7” sealed LED bulb. It made a world of difference.

I think the big difference between the LED and HID is the fact that the HID throws out light in 360 degrees similar to the H bulbs, while the LED only emits light on the sides. The older style reflector is designed for a 360 degree light source. I’m a big LED fan, but from past experience they just never worked right in the older reflector.

Didn‘t realize you had a Gen 3 when you tried the LED lights. I did try to source a set of F-2’s but the vendor said they were not available, so I did buy the newer version (don’t recall what they are). Have not tried them yet, although swapping bulbs out on the FJR is not terribly complicated it’s still a PITA compared to what I’m used to. So right now I’m on a mission for as much info as I can get.
Thank,
Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you're basing your desire for HIDs on 2 other's opinions?
Nope, if that was the case I would already have them installed :)
Just searching for info and input from fellow members. I should meet up with you sometime so I can see what your lights look like. I know you close to me. I’m in Mays Landing.
Pete

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Nope, if that was the case I would already have them installed :)
Just searching for info and input from fellow members. I should meet up with you sometime so I can see what your lights look like. I know you close to me. I’m in Mays Landing.
Pete
Oh that's right, I knew your board name struck a note for some reason. And I'm in Vineland. Watch your PMs later tomorrow, I'll see if I can get out for a quick ride tomorrow night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K
I’ll keep an eye out. As a side note, you guys shamed me into installing the 5S LED’s I had on the shelf. I’ll wait till dark and see what happens
Pete

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok,
Just got home from dinner and I went out to test the 5S LED‘s (according to the vendor these are the newer version of the F-2’s, I’ll take that with a grain of salt). I’m actually pretty happy with them. Good low beam cut off and plenty of light, high beam extends far and doesn’t light up the tree tops. I will call this a win. Thanks for all the help guys.
Pete

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,820 Posts
Ok,
Just got home from dinner and I went out to test the 5S LED‘s (according to the vendor these are the newer version of the F-2’s, I’ll take that with a grain of salt). I’m actually pretty happy with them. Good low beam cut off and plenty of light, high beam extends far and doesn’t light up the tree tops. I will call this a win. Thanks for all the help guys.
Pete
I'm still on the hunt for LEDs so give me some details of what you got!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out. (y)

Reactions: Deets55

·
Registered
204 Posts
Me too and will be watching for your info.

I have what sounds like the same set-up on the same bike you have and sorta told myself the stock halogens with their different color offered a contrast to the LEDs and thus I was more visible than with all one type of light. I'm not sure it's a good theory though. Plus I just switched the fork-lights over to yellow lenses so maybe now it's time for headlight change.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Font Electric blue Space Circle Commemorative plaque
Engineering Gas Font Machine Nut

Backstory:
Was originally looking for F-2 bulbs. I found a vendor (I’m pretty sure it was on E-bay) who was listing them on their page. I placed the order, a little later I received an E-mail saying that the F-2’s were no longer available, but these were the newer bulbs. I went back and forth with the seller and he assured me that these were the the same as the F-2‘s and were probably better. I ordered them up and they arrived pretty quickly considering they came far the Far East, I believe it was China.
They sat on a shelf in my garage for a while before I decided to install them. That’s why I am not sure where I got them or how much I payed. I think is was around $40.00 US. As of right now I’m pretty happy with them. Just make sure they are the proper orientation, the instructions spell it out.
Pete

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
A lighting engineer in another sandbox started working with Evitek, the manufacturer of the F2 bulbs back in 2018, the first version being the G6. He has spend lots on various LED sets testing and giving his evaluations. However, he hasn't got deep enough pockets to test big numbers.

What the majority of LED headlight bulbs did not have back then is reflector shields to keep the light off the bottom part of the reflector, which prevent lighting up the overhead signs and treetops. This then created a proper cutoff low beam. Some LED's light up both the high and the low beam LED's at once.

AFAIK, the F2's are still available, but be aware there is an F3 now with a larger LED chip that is alledgedly an improvement, somewhat brighter, wider pattern, and may fill in more directly in front of you.

I have seen lots of others now copying the F2 deflectors, now using diecast shields instead of sheet metal ones... all you can do is try them and see if the beam pattern works like you think it should. Lots of claims are being made. I don't think the S5's are made by Evitek.

Reactions: Deets55

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts