FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No, that is NOT correct. Yamaha brand top boxes do NOT come with a lock or a key. When the FJR is purchased new, a 3rd lock set is provided for this use. If the bike is purchased used, the buyer should remember to ask for the 3rd one or expect to find something else.
Yeah, I asked previous owner about the 3rd lock set and they said they didn't get one. It's a 2020. Looks like I'll be ordering the lock set kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The only point not covered is using the different top cases. My understanding is that the Yamaha case is made by Givi and works like a Givi. To open the case you will always need your key. The SHAD cases can be set to require a key or not, depending on the lock position when the key is removed. I like the choice the SHAD gives me as I don't want to fumble for my keys sometimes when getting into the top case.
I see your point and do agree it's kind of a pain to need the key to open the case, however, you can't get the key out unless the case is closed properly. That's my assurance the case is closed properly and won't fly open going down the road. I could live with either scenario.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
The shad sounds like the same way the factory Suzuki top cases work. You turn a little dial inside and the lock no longer keeps the case from being opened. The one I had and the rack it was attached to are now a coat rack ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So what I'm seeing for the 50L Yamaha Top Case, the choices are blue or black. There is no liquid graphite to match my 2020 bike.

Am I correct?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
So what I'm seeing for the 50L Yamaha Top Case, the choices are blue or black. There is no liquid graphite to match my 2020 bike.

Am I correct?
You'll have to verify it yourself that this is the FJR version, but I think the part you are looking for is:
1MC-F84A8-R0-00
Yamaha 1MC-F84A8-R0-00 Top Case-50L-Liquid Graphite; 1MCF84A8R000

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You'll have to verify it yourself that this is the FJR version, but I think the part you are looking for is:
1MC-F84A8-R0-00
Exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't find it. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
385 Posts
When I do (probably this year) get a top case and a Givi 357 mount...I'm going to get a case that is nearly the same size as the side cases. Call me paranoid or scared by Yamaha's warning...but my OCD feels better about having the same liters on the sides and top....and not some massive top heavy thing up there secured by a tiny bracket.
Don't worry about the Yamaha bracket and locking mechanism - they are very sturdy. The OEM top case oozes of quality IMO

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
1MC-F84A8-R0-00
I do need to verify this part number will fit my 2020. Yamaha's website says this part number is for a 2015 but is Liquid Graphite. If you select 2020 year the choices are Raven and Matte Phantom Blue. I can't imagine they would have changed the design from 2015 to 2020. Also, I would hope the 2015 Liquid Graphite is the same as 2020 Liquid Graphite.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
Look at the part listings for each year for fairings and saddlebag lids.... same paint code DNMN
You could try to match paint code labels under the seat on a 2015 and a 2020.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
160 Posts
I have the Givi E55 top box with the GIVI metal (SR357) frame. Its the same set up Two Wheel Obsession has on his (you tube - Two wheel obsession)... I just got the E56 back rest for it as well for my passenger. I don't have a picture to upload, but its the exact same set up as Two's.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
The main thing here no matter what case you choose is the mount, and no matter what anyone says a Stiffy alone will not prevent a broken subframe. You need the Yamaha heavy aluminum rack or the givi sr357 or the similar Shad tube rack.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Go big or Go home is a saying! I had a large leather Harley trunk on my Roadstar and was spoiled by the size. So handy to toss stuff into it. When I got the FJR I decided on the V56 Givi and the rack to go with it. I've also got the stiffy kit installed. I bought the light kit for the top case. I rigged a resistor and a couple of diodes so the trunk light works as brake and tail using just the two original GIVI contacts. I always ride with the trunk and bags. I like that they all come off so easy and quick. Simple to take stuff into a hotel when arriving at a Rally. Reinstall them easy or keep them in the room. I don't have a tank bag.

Reactions: FreakyFastFreddie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I ordered the Yamaha 50L case. Already have the Yamaha heavy duty aluminum mount, came with the bike when I bought it. Now I have a SHAD 39L case and pad, SHAD heavy duty bar mount, and stiffy kit to sell if anyone wants it. It's all brand new still in the box. I'll be putting it in the 4 sale section soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
And it just showed up
These can definitely be re-keyed - the top cap just gets un crimped and the guts side out then the plates get inserted from the outside. The new cylinders screws were quite a bit longer than the one I still had on the other pannier. And they were all finger tight. Put some red locktite on all of them so that I don't have to be looking for more lock parts again.
View attachment 78328
View attachment 78329
Where did you find the Yamaha logo keys? Wanted to get a few spares made and I would rather have the Yamaha brand on them over Ilco or something else. Plus not having the plastic on the head makes the keyring less bulky.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
Where did you find the Yamaha logo keys? Wanted to get a few spares made and I would rather have the Yamaha brand on them over Ilco or something else. Plus not having the plastic on the head makes the keyring less bulky.
Those keys came with the new lock cylinders. But I've bought them off amazon before. This is the plastic variety - you would just need to lookup the part number for the non plastic keys

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
72 Posts
No regrets with my Yamaha 50l box. It just sucked to wait 6 months for it. Ordered last December in hopes of having it by spring.
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Plant

Didn't get it until July...

Also a bit disappointing not to have it color matched, but whatevs

·
Registered
136 Posts
No regrets with my Yamaha 50l box. It just sucked to wait 6 months for it. Ordered last December in hopes of having it by spring. View attachment 81741
Didn't get it until July...

Also a bit disappointing not to have it color matched, but whatevs
I found that the Yamaha accessories page is very badly indexed. For example, the Liquid Graphite top box isn’t listed under the 2020 and 2021 models, but instead only Raven black. If you look at the other model years you will see they have done a poor job matching the same color top cases to the model years there as well. I found the liquid graphite listed under the 2015 model year and then took that part number and went shopping elsewhere. I found one at a boat shop in Florida back in June and it was about $120 less including shipping than from Yamaha. I received it about a week later.

It’s a long shot, but perhaps you could maybe try posting if somebody is looking for a Raven box or may possibly be interested in a color trade?

·
Registered
2020 FJR 1300ES
107 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

I too have the Shad 59x. Took a 1300 mile 3 day trip with it. Along the way and on stops I was in and out of that case all the time. Really nice not to have to use a key every time. Averaged 47.9 mpgs running 70-80 mph on the slab. That was using 87 octane. I run 91 no corn when not on a trip. I was impressed. That was at the 46L position. When running around with momma on the back both helmets plus stuff easily go in at the 59L position and lock em up. I like the aluminum top. Looks good on the bike. I'm really glad I went this route

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
72 Posts
I found that the Yamaha accessories page is very badly indexed. For example, the Liquid Graphite top box isn’t listed under the 2020 and 2021 models, but instead only Raven black. If you look at the other model years you will see they have done a poor job matching the same color top cases to the model years there as well. I found the liquid graphite listed under the 2015 model year and then took that part number and went shopping elsewhere. I found one at a boat shop in Florida back in June and it was about $120 less including shipping than from Yamaha. I received it about a week later.

It’s a long shot, but perhaps you could maybe try posting if somebody is looking for a Raven box or may possibly be interested in a color trade?
Nice. Glad you got the right color.
That's a good plan but it grew on me.
I'm ok with the black since there are matching black accents elsewhere on the bike.
Plus I generally only use the top case to get to where I'm going then leave it in the hotel/cabin.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts