FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a Top Case. I'm planning some long trips so the 50L Yamaha Top Case has my interest. Is anyone running this larger top case and willing to post a picture of their bike with the case on it? I ran the 39L Yammy top case and Givi on my previous FJR's. I'm thinking the extra storage might come in handy.

Thoughts and experience with Shad welcomed as well.

Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
I have a 52L Kappa case. No real experience on the FJR yet, but it wasn't any big deal when I had it on my DL1000. Could fit a case of wine in it sitting on its side and aside from feeling it a little in turns it was fine. Now my FZ1 with a 46L case loaded up with weight is a lot more wheelie prone, but that case sits further back from the axle centerline than the box on the DL1000 did.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have the 50-liter Yamaha top-box and the aluminum base for my 2016 A-model. The box sits in the closet unless I'm travelling (which no one has done much of recently). I used it once on a week-long trip from Fort Worth to North Carolina in 2017. It stayed in the hotel during my time riding the local roads in NC. It rode fine the whole way out there and back with my clothing in it and the heavier stuff in the side-cases. I did not have a pillion on-board, so I can't attest to comfort or support for a passenger. The return trip of 912 miles was done in a single one-day stretch, and the box didn't cause any issues.

I was a little disappointed in the fact that I had to cut some of the existing plastic on the bike to make it fit. However, it came with a template and a Dremel made the cuts relatively easy. The cuts are concealed by the seat once everything is assembled. However, considering that it was a Yamaha part, it seemed like an installation that required making cuts should have been avoided.

The inside of the unit is huge. I can fit two full-face helmets in it. I put a small piece of carpet in the bottom just to make items ride better and not rattle so much.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Cabinetry Automotive tire Product Trunk Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Cabinetry Automotive tire Product Trunk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the review and pictures, exactly what I was looking for. I do think the Yamaha case looks great with the bike. I do plan to have a passenger possibly at times but I'm most interested in having the larger storage. As for the mount, I thought the same thing...having to make a cut on the bike...come on Yamaha...really?

I know the GIVI and SHAD weighs less than the Yamaha so I also thought that might be a plus...less weight on the tail end of the bike. I do not know how much less they weigh.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Thanks for the review and pictures, exactly what I was looking for. I do think the Yamaha case looks great with the bike. I do plan to have a passenger possibly at times but I'm most interested in having the larger storage. As for the mount, I thought the same thing...having to make a cut on the bike...come on Yamaha...really?

I know the GIVI and SHAD weighs less than the Yamaha so I also thought that might be a plus...less weight on the tail end of the bike. I do not know how much less they weigh.
Givi and Kappa for sure weigh less, but the Shad stuff uses that same double wall "cooler" type construction that results in less inner space and more weight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't rule out Shad 58 or 59x. I just got the 59x. Lowest position same size as a 46L and expands from there
The FJR I just purchased came with the SHAD 39L still in box, never mounted. I'm thinking I want something bigger. Any pics of your 59 mounted?

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
385 Posts
I had a Shad 45 for a few years - it fits a single helmet only, and is very light and not nearly as sturdy as the Yamaha. I recently replaced the Shad with then 50L Yamaha box, and as stated above, it's really sturdy and looks really integrated. It easily fits two helmets, and I don't notice it while riding. I hardly ever use the side cases, but always ride with the top case. I have actually installed it using the OEM rack. I know this is not recommended, but since I only use it for lighter stuff, I am not convinced that it will cause issues. I mean, the smaller top case can be installed with the OEM rack, and I assume you can load it with e.g. 15 lbs of stuff. So, what's the difference if you go with heavier box and less load?

Maybe I'll replace the OEM rack with the alu rack at some point...

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Bought my bike used and it came with a Kappa 53 litre. Never heard of Kappa. Did a little research and it's made by Givi and costs much less. Looks just like a Givi and uses the same Monokey mounting. And you can find them under $200.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
Bought my bike used and it came with a Kappa 53 litre. Never heard of Kappa. Did a little research and it's made by Givi and costs much less. Looks just like a Givi and uses the same Monokey mounting. And you can find them under $200.
Yup. One of the cheapest sources for Kappa stuff is motostorm.it - ships straight from italy and even with shipping it is typically cheaper than you can buy in the US. Same is true when buying Givi stuff from them - or really most stuff that is made in europe. They ship pretty quick.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
One of the issues I neglected to mention is the lock. Do you have the third lock core that came with the new bike? If so, the 50-liter top-box is made so you can insert this core into it and it will then be keyed the same as the ignition and the side-bags. If you don't have this core, I don't know how you secure the box to the plate and how you lock it...unless you can order a core from Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
One of the issues I neglected to mention is the lock. Do you have the third lock core that came with the new bike? If so, the 50-liter top-box is made so you can insert this core into it and it will then be keyed the same as the ignition and the side-bags. If you don't have this core, I don't know how you secure the box to the plate and how you lock it...unless you can order a core from Yamaha.
You can buy new cores for about $20 and then have a locksmith rekey. I've got one coming today from RevZilla so that I can steal the missing screws and latch arm off it for one of my panniers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not have a 3rd lock core but I see where you can order a kit of 3. I already have the Yamaha mount for the 50L case which is why I'm leaning toward that one. Then I would sell the SHAD case and mount.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
I do not have a 3rd lock core but I see where you can order a kit of 3. I already have the Yamaha mount for the 50L case which is why I'm leaning toward that one. Then I would sell the SHAD case and mount.
If you are buying the 50L, I would expect that it comes with a key and a core - it just won't match your ignition and panniers. You should be able to just take it out and have it rekeyed. There is nothing special about the lock cylinders - they are a plate type "pin" like most cabinet locks. They may be crimped at the top which makes taking them apart a little harder. When I get my new one today I'll take a look at it and see how they come apart.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
And it just showed up
These can definitely be re-keyed - the top cap just gets un crimped and the guts side out then the plates get inserted from the outside. The new cylinders screws were quite a bit longer than the one I still had on the other pannier. And they were all finger tight. Put some red locktite on all of them so that I don't have to be looking for more lock parts again.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
If you are buying the 50L, I would expect that it comes with a key and a core - it just won't match your ignition and panniers. You should be able to just take it out and have it rekeyed. There is nothing special about the lock cylinders - they are a plate type "pin" like most cabinet locks. They may be crimped at the top which makes taking them apart a little harder. When I get my new one today I'll take a look at it and see how they come apart.
No, that is NOT correct. Yamaha brand top boxes do NOT come with a lock or a key. When the FJR is purchased new, a 3rd lock set is provided for this use. If the bike is purchased used, the buyer should remember to ask for the 3rd one or expect to find something else.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,259 Posts
No, that is NOT correct. Yamaha brand top boxes do NOT come with a lock or a key. When the FJR is purchased new, a 3rd lock set is provided for this use. If the bike is purchased used, the buyer should remember to ask for the 3rd one or expect to find something else.
Well, then I guess he might have to buy a core if he doesn't have one.
Yamaha Luggage Case Lock Set FJ-09 / FJR1300 / Tracer 900 / GT | 20% ($6.00) Off! - RevZilla

I suspect that the core that I was given when I bought my bike a couple weeks ago was the spare and the original one in the bag went bouncing down the road with the latch arm and screws.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
The only point not covered is using the different top cases. My understanding is that the Yamaha case is made by Givi and works like a Givi. To open the case you will always need your key. The SHAD cases can be set to require a key or not, depending on the lock position when the key is removed. I like the choice the SHAD gives me as I don't want to fumble for my keys sometimes when getting into the top case.

Reactions: FreakyFastFreddie

·
Registered
595 Posts
When I do (probably this year) get a top case and a Givi 357 mount...I'm going to get a case that is nearly the same size as the side cases. Call me paranoid or scared by Yamaha's warning...but my OCD feels better about having the same liters on the sides and top....and not some massive top heavy thing up there secured by a tiny bracket.

Reactions: ice_station_zebra

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the factory case on my '04. After getting my '15 went with Givi for the larger interior, 357 support and styling. Still happy I did but at the time decided the V47 looked better proportionally with the side cases which I think still holds true. However I only use the top case when travelling so came to find I wished I had gone with the V56 for the noticeably extra capacity. More than one night somewhere and it comes off the bike anyways.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts