FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a GPS unit. I understand how they work, but have no experiance with them. Can anyone recomend a unit for the fjr. I guess what I'd be looking for is a large display with large buttons, (easier to push wearing gloves). Also, I don't want to break the bank paying for it. I see someone on E-bay selling factory reconditioned units such as a Garnin 2610 and Magellon 700 for around $400. Does that seem like a good deal? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just been through this, have a Garmin Streetpilot 111, fitted to Biker Johnny stem mount and Touratech locking mount, been out for a 'play' on local roads, and seems to work fine.

Teejay

·
Registered
40 Posts
I freakin' LOVE my Garmin 276c--it's a marine GPS with a biiiiig color screen that is 'transreflective', meaning that it gets *brighter* in direct sunlight. On the motorcycle it is absolutely stellar, and I love the ~4.5" screen. In the car when it's a bright day outside, it can be a bit hard to see (since it's in the shade), but generally I have no problems. Besides, in the car the power cord has a speaker that gives me voice directions, so there's no need to look at it anyway. Actually, the power cord on the bike also has a headphone jack, so on tours I splice it in with my ipod and rarely have to look at the GPS then either.

I really really really want to get the upgraded model, the 376c, because this is sattelite radio ready. If XM in your GPS isn't cool enough, you can subscribe to the XM weather map service and get animated, real-time weather maps on your GPS while you tour--how awesome is that!!! It's pricey, though, like $1000. But I'm looking to sell my 276c so I can afford it--bought new in 8/05 with a full one-year warranty from an authorized dealer. Wanna make an offer??? :wink:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. mindtrip, I haven't finished my reseach yet so I don't as yet know what it's worth, or if it's the one. I did find what seems to be a good deal at Wally world. They have a Magellan Roadmate 300 for $299. I need to check both models on their web sites.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm with Walrus, upgraded my 2610 to a 2720 a few months back & over the moon with it; the POI loader has proved a godsend combined with the free lifetime subscription I got to the speed camera database courtesy of pocket GPS world.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How did you mount the Garmin 2720? I have one and want to put it on my new 06 (here in a couple of weeks, hopefully. Thanks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mines on a "Stemstand" from Bike Johnny, very easy to fit, just replace the stem nut with the stemstand & then bolt the Garmin bracket to the plate.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Garmin 2610

Haven't checked in for a few days. After some deliberation I ordered a Garmin 2610 street pilot. I found it on e-bay for $384. It's a factory refurbished unit with full warrenty. I normally don't go for the refurbish stuff, but it was so much cheaper and has the full warrenty. Now I just have to learn how to use it and find the right mount. If I'm not mistaken touratec has a locking mount...probabley expensive? I'm also replacing my xm radio with a new sirious radio, so I need to plan for that also. Farkling can be so much fun though. :ale: :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts