FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? I know this has been discused before. I am still learning these things. What is the easiest fix for all the engine heat that cooks your legs and fries your crotch? I thought I saw some pics of adding more holes to the lowers, and adding foam or metal to the inside of the lowers. After todays 95 plus temps, I am almost ready to ditch the FJR and return to a GoldWing. I can't take it anymore. Please HELP. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a link to mod's done by one of the forum fellows but it is dead now. Added foam in the sides to direct the air outward. Had nice PICs too. Perhaps he'll renew the page.

Another past posting said the hot tank (when the fuel is low) can be solved by placing a sheet of aluminum foil bubble wrap under the tank. I plan to try that soon. Have the material.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Get rid of whatever model FJR you have now and buy the latest 06 model. All the heat problems have been fixed by the factory,,, AT LAST.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Jinxed said:
What is the easiest fix for all the engine heat that cooks your legs and fries your crotch? I thought I saw some pics of adding more holes to the lowers, and adding foam or metal to the inside of the lowers. After todays 95 plus temps, I am almost ready to ditch the FJR and return to a GoldWing. I can't take it anymore. Please HELP. :(
1. Wear decent pants.
2. Come and live here. :cry:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Albeit to most "wear decent pants" may seem a bit flip, it is actually sage advice. I see so many whiffle heads around here riding around in shorts or light cotton pants. The footwear of choice varies from tennies to **** Fanning flip-flops :shock:

Living in Florida I can tell you all about heat. I've also ridden my '03 through the Midwest in the middle of July...probably hotter there than in Florida, but I digress.

My experience says heat issues can be minimized by wearing at least a pair of Levis (not those spiffy designer lightweight denim trou) that are cut long enough in the inseam to stay put over your boots and a good pair of boots that come far enough up the leg to help insulate some of the ambient heat. My Oxtar Infinity models do a fine job here, noticably much less heat is perceived when I'm wearing these as opposed to my Red Wing pull on boots. Maybe I just have a good one, but there just isn't much of an issue with my FJR and heat. My old Buell S3T and 1992 BMW K100RS...now THERE were a couple of radiators :|

Try a decent pair of boots before succuming to the Gold Wing (egad..a 2 wheel Lexus with REVERSE no less!! :p )

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Are you using a full-size, or extra-large windscreen?

:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mrgalvin and Rabbit1300; thanks for the help.

Bernie; If I sell it I will not go back to a FJR, it will be a Goldwing.

Liz and Acmemfg; Changing my riding gear does not fix the issues with the crappy enginering of the bike.

Liquidsilver; Stock screen.

Thanks to all. It will probably be in the classifieds by the end of the month.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Acmemfg said:
Albeit to most "wear decent pants" may seem a bit flip, it is actually sage advice.
Actually it wasn't meant to be flip. Well. Only a bit. I often ride my bike in Spain where 40 degrees isn't unheard of in Madrid in the summer. Yes it gets a bit warm when you're queueing at a peaje and the fan comes on, but I've lived with it four years and have learned to cope by wearing decent pants always because I love the bike.

If a Goldwing's what you want, then the FJR isn't the bike for you. :ale:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love the FJR, but I did ride Goldwings for the past 20 years before getting the FJR. I just don't see how everyone puts up with the heat coming off of it. I am going to try some different things this week, will let you know if they work.

What about seat options? I am numb after about 30 miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bounce, I currently have the 03 FJR. My Wings were: 83 1100, 86 1200, and the last was a 89 1500. Thanks for the post. I will try to find some insulation to stuff in holes. I will price a RUssell next. Again, thanks.

Where in Tx are you?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do the full Cromeit heat fix before you write the FJR off. I live in Florida and I know exactly what you're talking about with the heat during the summer. I did the heat fix (which involves more than just stuffing foam in the fairing) and it made a huge difference. Now, although there is still some heat coming out of the fairing, it's bearable and not much worse than some other bikes I've ridden.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Jinx, if you cut the screen WAY down for the summer, it helps a lot. If you run with the stock screen all the way up, you are pulling maximum heat up into the rider area. If you're a former Lead Wing pilot, maybe you like screen up which is the worst for heat from the '03~'05 bikes.

If you prefer the school bus size of the Wing, you may not even appreciate the things the FJR does best, one of which is stomp the piss out of a 'wing when the road goes twisty. :wink:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
20valves,
I run it about half up depending on the bug thickness. I try to use it as a deflecter more than a shield. Yes I did enjoy the big screen of the Wing, but I sure enjoy what the FJR has to offer. I was just hot and upset the other day, I am better now.

Biker_911,
I am going to try the foam thing and some other stuff. I WILL BEAT THIS.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
too much heat

Hi Jinxed, hey i felt the same as you 3 1/2 yrs ago, was ready to sell the bitch after 1 month of BURNED GONADS......

long story short........got yamaha to adjust the fuel injection using a EGA and had riv nuts installed in the pipes....all under warranty, CURED 80 percent of the heat issues, and improved the throttle responce and drivability...

Final heat issues were CURED with the removel of the two cats in the bottom collector..

those two things and the addition of a set of LSL superbike bars, and we now have a winner and a keeper !

Yours being out of warranty , go buy a Techlusion fuel control box, [google that],,,, will do the same thing..... and drop that pipe and remove the cats...

if you don,t notice a 100 per cent improvement after that, ,,,,, well , there is no hope for you, my friend...

shout back if you need some pics

Jonathan

ps, i did all the "known heat fixes" on the planet, before the F/I and cat work,,,,,,they never really Cured the heat output, just delayed the amout of time it took to reach you ,, after awhile , your still just as COOKED as before the "fixes"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jupiter,
Please send me an e-mail( [email protected] ) with information on the cats and the pics. Please explain riv nuts and EGA. I am currently running a Power Comander (on the bike when I bought it). Is that the same thing as a Techlusion?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is my first post i just could not resist[ take $6000 buy a new bike]? [get a goldwing]? [a 30 mile seat]? you guys need a noonie not a bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jinxed said:
20valves,
I run it about half up depending on the bug thickness. I try to use it as a deflecter more than a shield. Yes I did enjoy the big screen of the Wing, but I sure enjoy what the FJR has to offer. I was just hot and upset the other day, I am better now.

Biker_911,
I am going to try the foam thing and some other stuff. I WILL BEAT THIS.

Thanks guys.
Buy an 06.

Speaking of comfort, Yamaha's design team thought long and hard about heat management; cooking rider's soft parts has been a major complaint about this Bike
One less thing for Gabe to complain about; the FJR has excellent heat management. Cooking your soft parts will have to be accomplished off the bike. How they did it was a long and not-so-interesting part of the presentation, but rest assured there are new vents, and plenty of them to move cool air onto the rider and engine, assisted by a new, curved radiator with twin cooling fans, more space under the 6.6 gallon fuel tank, a new heat shield and ducting designed to pull hot air out from under the seat instead of over the rider's pasty white thighs. There's even a pair of adjustable louvers (you need to use a screwdriver or a small coin to work them) on the sides of the fairing.

Good luck with the 05. BTW I rode a new GW and there was very little ventilation and a seat you cannot move around on. Give me an FJR any day, any FJR!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts