FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there fitted one of these Digital Gear Indicators recently?

I read the report on the old forum:- http://www.fjrowners.ws/fjro4/old.html

Did a search for digi gear indicator.......

and printed off the FJR-1300 install instructions from Acumen's website,
but seem to have encountered an unusual problem.

Firstly, I had to extend the the wiring to the Acumen DG8 so I used about 18 inches of 6 core cable, and soldered all the joints. I only needed 5 wires to connect to the Digi unit, so I used the following colour combinations:-
Digi Power Red - Red,
Digi Ground Black - Black,
Digi Neutral Green - Green,
Digi Speedo Orange - Yellow.
& Digi Tacho Brown - Blue.

I connected the wires up as per instructions, but had to reverse the orange & brown wires (yellow & blue) as the display was constantly flickering in a circular motion.(as per instructions)

With bike on centre stand, I started the engine and had a small n on the display, put it into Learn mode by keeping the pin pressed into the back, then told it, it had 5 gears and waited for the display to return to n. All OK so far!!

I then engaged 1st gear, (display indicates 1st gear) rev to 3k and change into 2nd, (display flashes 3x horozontal bars and goes to 2) OK so far!!
Rev to 3k and change up to third, (display stays at 2)??? change into 4th and then 5th, but display still shows 2 !! WTF!!

Return to Neutral but display still shows 2 ??

Turn ignition off and start again from scratch............. same procedeure.......... same result....................still displays 2 ??

Turn off ignition and restart engine, Display shows n, engage 1st, display goes to 1st................. go for short spin, but display stays at 1 no matter which gear you select.

Checked all solder joints and they are all sound, so do not understand what the problem is.
Has anyone seen this problem before or any similar issues.
I have also sent a mail to Acumen in the UK to see if they have come accross this fault before..........no reply as yet.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

A very confused Scatman !!

:shock: :? :? :ale:

This is Barbarian's image from March 03, mine is in the camera but the card reader does'nt want to view it for some reason !!!

I think my mind is starting to go at this stage!!!!! :? :?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dunno if you ever sorted this but you said;

I then engaged 1st gear, (display indicates 1st gear) rev to 3k and change into 2nd, (display flashes 3x horozontal bars and goes to 2) OK so far!!
Rev to 3k and change up to third, (display stays at 2)??? change into 4th and then 5th, but display still shows 2 !! WTF!!
I think the instructions say you should go from neutral to First THEN BACK TO NEUTRAL before going to second.

I'm thinking of installing one myself so I'm interested to know how you got on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just installed a Datatool Digi on my 04 FJR and that picture came in useful. AFAIK that picture is for the Datatool DIGI gear indicator, not the Acumen DG8 but seeing as they appear to work the same way it probably works anyway.

The only problem I had was in the bundle of wires as (shown in the picture) there are at least two black wires and only one seems to go earth. You can tell which one it is because its a bit thicker than the other and it's in the main bundle that goes up to the ECU connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts