FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok many members here may give the Hee Haw.
But I don't know the answer.

Purchased a Sena 30K Bluetooth Headset and a HJC IS-33 II Helmet from Rezilla in late May.
When I tried same helmet on at a local Stealership it felt fine.

Got the helmet and the Sena 30k all together. Everything works an sounds fine
But main problem is WIND NOISE
Looking at the helmet on my head in the mirror it may appear slightly large.
I have even removed my hands from the handlebars and compressed the helmet and reduced the noise.
Perhaps I should have purchased a size large.
Looking on the Revzilla website at "HELMET ACCESSORIES".

Seems one can purchase "CHEEK PADS, HELMET LINERS,

HJC IS-33 II Cheekpads
Replacement cheek pads for the HJC IS-33 II Helmets. All cheek pads are interchangeable between all helmet sizes.
CHEEK PADS

OEM Sizing:

• XS: 35mm
  • SM: 30mm
  • MD: 25mm
  • LG: 30mm
  • XL: 25mm
  • 2XL: 20mm

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My question is.
If one was to purchase a large size in cheek pads and liner , thereby increasing the thickness, would it cut down the wind noise.
Anything over 10 M.P.H. makes the Sena 30k useless...…..

You can't hear SH*T...…….

·
Registered
631 Posts
Are you wearing earplugs? This is a must.
Have you turned Sena volume UP all the way.

If speakers are located right opposite your ears and volume is on hi , the Sena speakers should “blow your eardrums “ without earplugs, wind noise or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If one was to purchase a large size in cheek pads and liner , thereby increasing the thickness, would it cut down the wind noise.
Anything over 10 M.P.H. makes the Sena 30k useless...….. You can't hear SH*T...…….
DMM1962,

Hard to say what a Large would do for you, when you do not tell what you started with.

Most helmets change only the liner (or rigid foam) and cheek pads to make them fit on different sized heads. Thicker cheek pads might cut down on wind noise, but stop short of causing actual headaches for yourself.

You can try taping any vents and seams closed with duct tape, to see if any one vent or seam is bad for noise. If you find a bad one, seal it shut with RTV sealant. That stuff never fully hardens, so you can remove it at any time. Don't wear the helmet for maybe a day after applying RTV; it out-gasses an irritating chemical for a few hours as it cures. Set the helmet outside in the shade, and let the RTV cure in the wind.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I’ve even had two different copies of the same helmet in the same size fit completely differently.

No helmet, even higher end ones, is quiet enough to negate the need for earplugs at speed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sorry, but you're SOL. A full face or modular is your only hope. Plugs, pads, etc. won't give much relief. Three things quiet down a helmet:

• Get the helmet out of the air stream. Extend or adjust the windscreen accordingly. Turbulent air is noisy air. Finding smooth flowing air is a big challenge - forget that.
  • Minimize helmet protrusions - smooth helmets don't add as much turbulent air as one with tons of stuff (including action cams) hanging out in the breeze.
  • Helmets with skirts across the bottom of the helmet limit the amount of turbulent air getting inside the helmet. The more skirt (among other things), the quieter the helmet.

All of the above rules out a 3/4 helmet as a place to listen to music or use the mic. Moreover it should be obvious that all of the above works against good cooling inside a quiet helmet. Life is full of compromises, and this is one more of them.

IMNSHO, "plugs and pump up the volume" isn't a win. Many music sources won't drive a 30K to "make my ears bleed" levels. And past that point, the audio sounds terrible as the speakers are driven into distortion. DAHIK

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My brother has a helmet that you can pump up and it pretty much makes it soundproof inside. Worked really well. Cannot remember the brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cheek pads would make the helmet quiet. But I would suggest you do is to take a neck scarf or close your visor. I wear earplugs to reduce wind and noise.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I rock a cheep FODSPORTS Bluetooth. I do mean cheep. They do not give you an option to upgrade your speakers without chopping and having fun with wires. If you can not hear your device I would say you might have a defective unit. If you don't have the speakers in the correct orientation to your ears you will have problems. have you double checked all your connections. then I would look at your music application. I thought mine was junk till i downloaded a different music application. One that has a working Equalizer and volume override. With a helmet that doesn't cover your chin you are already causing a problem for yourself. I would take the helmet back and tell them its defective for some reason or another. Get a full face. It could be the helmet all together. It could be your windscreen is not effective. Have you had your hearing checked in the last year?
I have been getting my eyes and ears checked yearly now because of work and play. lots to think about
-windscreen
-bad helmet
-bad bluetooth
-change your device
-volume and clean recordings
-ears checked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts