FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody convince me that it is necessary to replace a perfectly fine $1,000 helmet every few years, because:

...I am not convinced that a quality helmet , built with carbon fiber or fiberglass with resin shell, with as they claim a UV inhibitor paint, with antimicrobial lining, well cared for, never dropped or damaged in any way, needs to be replaced after a few years of being worn on your head....hmmm sounds a bit like a marketing to increase sales 馃

I sport Schuberth C3 and don't see anything wrong after 5yrs of normal usage.

Registered
From circa 2017 ( I think ).....

Schuberth recommends a 5-7 year service life based on use, not the manufacturing date:
"The helmet should be replaced after 5 to 7 years, depending on use and
care. Although the outer shell is in principle capable of a longer service
life, the occurrence of material fatigue and wear to other components,
as well as the overall action of the helmet and the unknown conditions
in which the helmet has been used, make it advisable for your own
safety to replace the helmet after this period of use."

Shoei says:
"Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:
1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
3. The EPS liner has come away from the helmet shell.
4. The EPS liner shows signs of wear and is beginning to break up, or if it has been exposed to heat or a solvent and has melted. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail. " .....( To me, this indicates their concern is with use, rather than manufacturing date.)

Arai:
"EVEN A HELMET AS GOOD AS AN ARAI WON鈥橳 LAST FOREVER.
Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the
Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the
suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why?
Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good
it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll.
Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the
acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, cleaners, polishes,
pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark,
helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration,
which should serve as an alert to its overall condition.
The helmet鈥檚 fit may begin to feel a little 鈥渓oose,鈥 not as snug as
it once did. This, as well as unseen aging and deterioration of
the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet鈥檚 ability
to perform as it was originally designed in an impact. If a helmet
suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability
to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for
competent inspection or discarded and replaced.
These are the reasons to replace your helmet after five years.
Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or
damaged, it should be replaced before the five-year mark."

Registered
I think it comes down to personal comfort level, regardless of what manufacturers say. We know that like anything, helmets deteriorate over time and with use, albeit very, very slowly. I personally think the 5 year recommendation that many manufacturers make is quite conservative, however if a person rode every day for hours with the same helmet for 5 years, then perhaps that helmet has delivered its value and should be replaced. On the other hand, for riders who might only ride a few times a week for a few hours at a time, and a few long trips per year, they might feel comfortable stretching it out a few years beyond the 5 year guideline. That鈥檚 my approach, I feel pretty comfortable with 8-9 years out of a helmet, but I wouldn鈥檛 go beyond 10 as by that point, it really owes nothing to the rider and a newer helmet with up to date certification should, at least in theory, provide greater safety.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You paid $1000 for a c3?
Schuberth helmets were always around a thousand bucks + in $ CAD

also another example of gouging; US YES (Yamaha ext Warr) is about US$400 and Canadian YES a mere CAD$2,000

Registered
Schuberth helmets were always around a thousand bucks + in $ CAD

also another example of gouging; US YES (Yamaha ext Warr) is about US$400 and Canadian YES a mere CAD$2,000
Ah. They cost about $400 here. I don't even want to know what my neotec 2 with the sena comms would cost in Canada.

Registered
2021 FJR
In Montana we can only ride 6 months out of the year so the Shoei I just bought might last twice the recommendation, say, 14 years. Since I am knocking on the door of 70, it could be the last helmet I will need.

Reactions: natsmada4fjr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From circa 2017 ( I think ).....

Schuberth recommends a 5-7 year service life based on use, not the manufacturing date:
"The helmet should be replaced after 5 to 7 years, depending on use and
care. Although the outer shell is in principle capable of a longer service
life, the occurrence of material fatigue and wear to other components,
as well as the overall action of the helmet and the unknown conditions
in which the helmet has been used, make it advisable for your own
safety to replace the helmet after this period of use."

Shoei says:
"Ultimately, the useful service life of a safety helmet is dependent on the intensity and frequency of its use. Helmet replacement is recommended even if only one of the under-mentioned points applies:
1. The helmet was subjected to an impact.
2. The comfort padding or the retention system has become loose due to heavy use or display signs of deterioration. Test: with the retention system fastened, the helmet turns to the side when you gently shake your head.
3. The EPS liner has come away from the helmet shell.
4. The EPS liner shows signs of wear and is beginning to break up, or if it has been exposed to heat or a solvent and has melted. There are indentations in the EPS liner and/or white scratches can be seen on surfaces with black paint.
5. Even if none of these is applied, we, SHOEI, recommend replacement in 5 years after it's first purchased at retail. " .....( To me, this indicates their concern is with use, rather than manufacturing date.)

Arai:
"EVEN A HELMET AS GOOD AS AN ARAI WON鈥橳 LAST FOREVER.
Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the
Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the
suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why?
Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the
acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, cleaners, polishes,
pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark,
helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration,
which should serve as an alert to its overall condition.
The helmet鈥檚 fit may begin to feel a little 鈥渓oose,鈥 not as snug as
it once did. This, as well as unseen aging and deterioration of
the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet鈥檚 ability
to perform as it was originally designed in an impact. If a helmet
suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability
to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for
competent inspection or discarded and replaced.
These are the reasons to replace your helmet after five years.
Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or
damaged, it should be replaced before the five-year mark."
Ah. They cost about $400 here. I don't even want to know what my neotec 2 with the sena comms would cost in Canada.
Yes as always, there are "pros and cons" to living in different countries in the world, some are better then the others. It all depends how much sweat equity you have to put in for that "$" (Yen,DEM,Eur etc)

I suggest every time you feel you are paying "too much" just click to Canadian websites and search for the same products to compare....I can guarantee you'll feel better right away, even after conversion 馃檪

Registered
I buy most motorcycle gear online from overseas vendors that are closer to the source. Motostorm for givi/kappa and champion helmets for shoei stuff.

Reactions: Damir

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Arai:
Yeah these are all (copy and paste) manufacturers recommendations, but I read on many forums where riders that work for Arai and Shoei report and claim their helmets are good for 20yrs easy, and one would think; "they know".

The statement above you listed, from Arai comparing "helmet to human body" doesn't make any sense whatsoever, plain marketing BS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My fiberglass with resin made Schuberth compared to:

How Long Do Fiberglass Boats Typically last? Fiberglass boats can be sound and seaworthy for up to fifty years or more. Fiberglass is very durable, and with proper maintenance and care, fiberglass boats can last for many decades. Fiberglass itself will not break down but instead will break down due to outside factors.

But I am sure if we would wear fiberglass boats as a safety equipment, they would recommend to replace it every 5-10yrs

Registered
I've got 5 years and about 100k miles on my C3 Pro. I feel it's getting to be time for a new one. Face shield needs replacement, the face shield seals are toast and it won't stay up and it it fits looser. I will wait until I find one on closeout, however.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got 5 years and about 100k miles on my C3 Pro. I feel it's getting to be time for a new one. Face shield needs replacement, the face shield seals are toast and it won't stay up and it it fits looser. I will wait until I find one on closeout, however.
There is a hack for a common C3 problem of visor not staying up... take the visor off and insert a couple of rubber washers on each side (Home Depot seasonal or plumbing section a set of 2 regular garden hose gaskets)

Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
I suggest every time you feel you are paying "too much" just click to Canadian websites and search for the same products to compare....I can guarantee you'll feel better right away, even after conversion 馃檪
Or check how much a brand new FJR costs in Denmark. $50,000. I kid you not.

Reactions: Damir

Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
I ride, thus use my helmet every day and whatever brand/model, it always falls apart after 3-5 years. The lining just simply disintegrates after some time. Also, I have to buy new visors every 1-2 years because they get scratched, even though I only use microfiber towels to clean them.
Even if you remove the padding and wash it regularly - dirt, grime and bugs will accumulate in areas that are not cleanable, like vents so it is a good idea to change your helmet regularly, regardless of the condition of the outer shell.

Registered
2018 FJR1300A
A few weeks ago, I finally threw away my first motorcycle helmet. It looked like it was still in decent shape. Dark-metalflake green fiberglass with a heavy leather padded lining that I had purchased used in 1971. I have no idea how old it was when I bought it.

For years I waxed the shell, cleaned the leather and used that helmet. I didn't know any better. In 1986, I started Autocrossing and was educated about "DOT" and "Snell" standards and the difference between SA and M helmets.

Registered
I believe that the padding can deteriorate which could effect its safety. Fortunately Shoei makes it easy to replace the entire innards which I do every couple of years. I do not believe the shell deteriorates unless damaged.

Registered
There is a hack for a common C3 problem of visor not staying up... take the visor off and insert a couple of rubber washers on each side (Home Depot seasonal or plumbing section a set of 2 regular garden hose gaskets)
I've used o-rings, unsuccessfully. I will try the garden hose gaskets - thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've used o-rings, unsuccessfully. I will try the garden hose gaskets - thanks!
Actually I just had a look at my C3, I used some garden hose gaskets but later changed it to these from some liquidation place store the smaller o-ring fits perfectly in that side opening, then I added some foam and then the bigger ring, hope you can see everything from pictures attached:

Attachments

Registered
I wear them every day, so I rotate two Nolan鈥檚 or nowadays, two Neotec 2鈥檚, replacing after four or five years due to sheer wear and tear, not age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts