FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you with stronger prescriptions recommend a good wrap-around frame?
Glasses Vision care Drinkware Eye glass accessory Eyewear

All the wrap-around I've been able to find lately, appear to cut-off at only 4 or 5 diopters.
Doesn't make sense because the technology (High Index Plastic 1.74) has advance pretty far that what used to be pop-bottle thick are now close to normal thickness... and my current glasses prove it's doable.

Font Pattern Number Parallel Rectangle

This is my personally modified (to be weaker) prescription.

Some years ago I bought these...
Vision care Goggles Product Eyewear Eye glass accessory

...which work nicely with helmets.
But the Gunnar company has since changed labs, and refuse to manufacture another pair with the same prescription... even stating that I'd waive any warranty.

I've found some other wrap-around frames but they all cut-off at only +4 or +5 diopters. I've already weakened my prescription and don't want to go any lower.
Eye glass accessory Eyewear Material property Personal protective equipment Tints and shades

Eyewear Bicycle part Auto part Personal protective equipment Eye glass accessory

Can any of you with stronger prescriptions recommend a good wrap-around frame?
Glasses Vision care Drinkware Eye glass accessory Eyewear

Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The temples on the frames either break or get bent out of shape when inserting the glasses. Full-face helmet, visor down. (needs constant cleaning for the insects)

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,819 Posts
I'm not a fan of wrap around frames, I like a little more ventilation. What I did last time is to go to a big eyeglass store like Vision Works and try on dozens of pairs while wearing my helmet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The wrap-arounds catch a lot more of your peripheral vision. If your prescriptions aren't very strong then it isn't a big deal. Re ventilation, I think you're referring to goggles? I really don't recall how long it's been but the last time I went to a bunch of local stores, they didn't have much of a selection (if any) for wrap-around style frames. I may check again; gives me more excuses to ride LoL.

But ultimately will very likely run into the same problem there too... which is why I'm asking whether anyone has had any success with finding wrap-around frames that exceed five diopters.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
488 Posts
The wrap-arounds catch a lot more of your peripheral vision. If your prescriptions aren't very strong then it isn't a big deal. Re ventilation, I think you're referring to goggles? I really don't recall how long it's been but the last time I went to a bunch of local stores, they didn't have much of a selection (if any) for wrap-around style frames. I may check again; gives me more excuses to ride LoL.

But ultimately will very likely run into the same problem there too... which is why I'm asking whether anyone has had any success with finding wrap-around frames that exceed five diopters.
I don't know about diopters but I've been using Wiley X for years from my eye doc with my script. One caution though the more curved the frame the more distortion you may encounter. YMMV 😉

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
What I did last time is to go to a big eyeglass store like Vision Works and try on dozens of pairs while wearing my helmet.
I have been doing that for years. I get the strangest looks when I go to buy new glasses.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300
198 Posts
I have a terrible astigmatism, the worst my guy has ever seen. So I have to wear my glasses all the time. I tried to find my RX but couldn’t find it to compare to yours but I’m sure they wouldn’t make mine either. There’s always restrictions on what type of lenses I can order. So I wear my regular glasses while riding and have never noticed an issue with peripheral vision, no more than the helmet blocks anyway. Some of my old helmets would push in on them but my newer helmet has space for your glasses to fit within. I also run with the visor up as much as I can. That’s wear the internal shade visor comes in handy, sorry can’t think of the proper name for it. It will collect most of the bugs while still allowing decent air flow.
Typically, my glasses will run me anywhere between $400-$500 dollars. Just my two cents here but it may be worth while to upgrade your helmet to include both things I mentioned above instead of a pair of glasses just for riding. Sorry I’m not answering your question, just trying to give you another possible remedy. Good luck and please post what you decide to go with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments, all.

I don't know about diopters but I've been using Wiley X for years from my eye doc with my script. One caution though the more curved the frame the more distortion you may encounter. YMMV 😉
This may be just what I needed. Thank you! 😎 An order has been placed; haven't rejected the prescription... at least outright. I've had some places balk post-order though.
Glasses Vision care Goggles Eye glass accessory Automotive design

Each lab seems to make the lenses a little different and have noticed distortion even with normal non-wrap pairs. My visual cortex seems to compensate for their imperfections. I think most of it comes down to the how well they process the "PD" factor... distance between the pupils... and how far those pupils are from the lenses. Obviously each person is different. The lab that Gunnar used with my current wrap-around pair did an exceptional job. The distortion is minimal; better than all but one pair I had decades ago. (wish I knew what lab did those) Still more difficult to read text out of the corner of the lenses than center. Blue/red light seperation doesn't happen with these like others I've had. Lense Crafters by far had the worse lenses. But they did them in-house in about an hour. Don't know if they even exist anymore.

@JohnC - Since COVID started, rather than wear my mask in/out of stores I simply started leaving my helmet on. I'm used to the looks 🤡. (note: I'm not anti-mask - they do help a lot)

@Benhameen - I've seen the slotted helmets but the benefit with the old design is, my helmet FIRMLY holds my glasses in place. I also use a large cap under the helmet, so I don't have to keep removing/washing the helmet pads. If my other pair with normal temples is used without the cap, not quite set just right, they vibrate on my face and may even slide down my nose a little bit; which is a bit of a hazard and injures the skin on the bridge of my nose. The drop-down sunshade or whatever they call it really is a good feature. Doesn't bother me much (good night vision) but there are times I end up riding at night with my clip-on sunglasses still attached. The pair I just ordered from that site came out at $233. Will see how good the lense quality is, or isn't. Junk lenses are quickly apparent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts