FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks. We have likely ridden many of the same roads. That mounting point for the mirror definitely looks like a weak point, and it doesn’t seem like there are much in the way of options to make it stronger. If I still had the broken piece I would think about trying to find a way to reinforce it.
I saved my last broken mirror stay. Wasn’t real obvious to me how it could be reinforced. My rear subframe has been “beefed” up, hopefully that will hold up going forward.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
My thought when I replaced mine, the whole thing is a thin casting, if you reinforce it where it typically breaks, it will likely break somewhere else where you can't get at it.

Reactions: BigOgre and Kendoo

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you carefully adjust the tension on the mirror pivot bolts, you may be able to minimize the chances of the stay breaking in a drop.
I’m going to do my best on the tension adjustment to avoid future issues. Seems like a poor piece of engineer from the look of it. I actually ordered a new one from Partzilla. I opened it up on Saturday and found one of the lower mounting tabs (about the size of a large washer) broken in half. Kudos to Partzilla for getting me another one on the way quickly, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was broken on arrival. Very fragile, and very frustrating.

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Depends on the break.... remove the dash plastic and the mirror. Align the break.... epoxy it by glueing the two together, then lay on more epoxy on both sides of the break..... use Permatex epoxy, JB weld is weaker and runnier. Perhaps think of drilling a couple of holes through the crack, which will act like a button once epoxied.
Replacing the stay is a big job, will take you all day long as the whole nose has to come off. Epoxy for now...
RaYzerman, you weren’t kidding when you said it’s a big job. So far I spent half a day taking off the old damaged parts, and today I spent about four hours carefully putting in the new Stay. I still have to install the new headlight unit and the cowling pieces. Just finding parts was a bigger PIA than I thought it would be. It will all be worth it in the end, and fortunately I have a few months before riding season here in NY.

·
Registered
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300
65 Posts
I hope to see you on the road…when spring hits.
Wayne
Congratulations on the new steed. I'm from Northwest CT and the greater Hudson Valley is my playground. Hudson has a great bbq joint for lunch.

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Congratulations on the new steed. I'm from Northwest CT and the greater Hudson Valley is my playground. Hudson has a great bbq joint for lunch.
Interestingly enough, NW Connecticut has always been a favored riding area of mine. I have spent many mornings at Toymakers Cafe in Falls Village. From there it is a nice ride north or south. Nice riding up in the Catskills as well. The FJR is a bit of a project and it’s been tough getting some of the parts with the supply chain issues, but I am making headway on it. Should be a nice ride when it’s done. This is a great forum with some really knowledgeable folks on it.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,769 Posts
Are you Northeastern guys aware of Ed's website?

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I was not aware of it but I will check it out. I took a brief look and it seems interesting. I’m always looking for gatherings and rides. Thanks RaYzerman.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts