FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm picking up a 2019 FRJ1300ES this Friday from an owner that only put on 550 miles on it since he rolled it off the showroom floor. It'll be my 2nd bike, and my first sport tourer. I took one for a test ride last Fall and loved the torque and handling. I've been riding a 2018 Triumph Bobber that I bought new as my first bike (unless you count my modded Honda Ruckus). Looking forward to learning all about the good and bad involved with the FJR, and seeing what changes people are happy with as well as the changes that were disappointments. My main reason for getting the bike is so I'll have a seat for a passenger, which my wife and daughters (especially my daughters) are looking forward to experiencing. Pics of my rides are below, although the Ruckus will be sold soon.

·
Registered
Current FJR's 2011 and 2013 Past FJR's 2003 2x2005 2008 2010
35 Posts
welcome to the site....a lot of info here all you have to do is search the past discussions or ask the question

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome and congrats. I bought my '04 used with almost the same mileage back when they were first released. Many years of happy times with that bike. And I know you didn't ask but coming from what you've been riding, give the FJR a bit of respect. Kinda like I was told about swimming in the ocean, it could be a lot of fun but its power can quickly overwhelm and get you in trouble.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Beautiful bike, the matte blue has really grown on me. Lots of great roads in Wisconsin. I'm north of Waupaca, nice to see other FJR's around.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
389 Posts
Welcome from the Big Apple. You'll find the FJR to be a great machine and light years different from your other bikes. Enjoy! 😁

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Ysoslo, welcome ! Lot’s of great roads in Wisconsin ! I had family up around Spooner, just beautiful place! Again welcome !

Reactions: ysoslo

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and congrats. I bought my '04 used with almost the same mileage back when they were first released. Many years of happy times with that bike. And I know you didn't ask but coming from what you've been riding, give the FJR a bit of respect. Kinda like I was told about swimming in the ocean, it could be a lot of fun but its power can quickly overwhelm and get you in trouble.
I hear ya, Big Ogre. My Triumph has a high torque 1200 in it with lots of torque, but the FRJ is still a big step up. I'm definitely planning on keeping in in Touring mode for awhile until I'm comfortable with the extra weight and different handling. I'm also one of those guys that practices in a parking lot with slow speed maneuvers, u-turns, emergency braking etc, so I'm giving myself lots of time to get used to the bike before I start bumping up the speed or adding a passenger.

I'm most excited to finally have a bike with a windshield! It'll be my first one ever, and I'm guessing it'll ease the fatigue I'm used to feeling after a 300-400 mile day on my Bobber.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To the rest of you, thank you for the kind welcome. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome, i'm also from the NW section of WI, about 20 mins north east of Hudson. There isn't much to learn about your bike, all it'll ever really need is tires, gas, and oil. It's almost boring with how little upkeep these bikes need. The only thing I would look into right away is to check if the recalls have been done, there is one for the 2nd gear and another for a brake light switch. Both recalls have their own sizeable thread here on the forum if you want to read up on them.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome, i'm also from the NW section of WI, about 20 mins north east of Hudson. There isn't much to learn about your bike, all it'll ever really need is tires, gas, and oil. It's almost boring with how little upkeep these bikes need. The only thing I would look into right away is to check if the recalls have been done, there is one for the 2nd gear and another for a brake light switch. Both recalls have their own sizeable thread here on the forum if you want to read up on them.
Thanks, @farmer_frank. I'm taking the new bike straight to the dealership after I pick it up, so I can have the recalls done. Sounds like it might take 1-3 weeks, depending on parts availability. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road as soon as possible. Do you have any typical changes that you've done to your bike? Sounds like seats and taller windshields are the 2 biggies with these bikes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bar risers, seat, windshield are typical. Ride it around for a month or so to get a feel for things before you go crazy buying farkles. I'm fairly new to the 3rd gen, so I'm getting a feel for mine as well. Already planning on a Russel Day Long seat.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm putting a new windshield on that's 2" higher, and I'm seriously considering T-rex lowering links to lower the bike 2". I'm fine with the height when I'm on my own, but not being able to flat foot it with a passenger is a little bit of a concern for me. I'm not a canyon carver Rossi-wanna-be, so I don't think taking it down a couple of inches will reduce the enjoyment for me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another NW WI Badger here. Welcome to the forum! So what burg are ya from? I'm in the Rice Lake area. Had my FJR out today, for the first time this year. Pretty sad, Right?! Also have an old Sportster (which I have had out a few times this spring). AnyWho, If you're in the neighborhood, and up for a ride, shoot me a message. Maybe we could even meet up with Farmer Frank along the way. And as for accessories (more like necessities); before anything else, order a set of T-Rex guards. They will pay for themselves, the first time you use them (which I hope you never do).

Boomer59

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
389 Posts
I'm putting a new windshield on that's 2" higher, and I'm seriously considering T-rex lowering links to lower the bike 2". I'm fine with the height when I'm on my own, but not being able to flat foot it with a passenger is a little bit of a concern for me. I'm not a canyon carver Rossi-wanna-be, so I don't think taking it down a couple of inches will reduce the enjoyment for me.
2 inches may be a bit much and may restrict your lean angle. My bike is lowered with 7/8s Kouba links and the front forks slipped up 1/2 inch. Also have a Corbin seat which puts the butt lower. YMMV.😉

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Welcome aboard. You're board name jumped out at me. We've got a member on the ZRX forum that uses ygoslo, and I thought for a moment it was him. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another NW WI Badger here. Welcome to the forum! So what burg are ya from? I'm in the Rice Lake area. Had my FJR out today, for the first time this year. Pretty sad, Right?! Also have an old Sportster (which I have had out a few times this spring). AnyWho, If you're in the neighborhood, and up for a ride, shoot me a message. Maybe we could even meet up with Farmer Frank along the way. And as for accessories (more like necessities); before anything else, order a set of T-Rex guards. They will pay for themselves, the first time you use them (which I hope you never do).

Boomer59
Thanks for the welcome, @Boomer59! I live right in Rice Lake about 2 blocks from the Kwik Trip on the north end of town. My FJR is sitting at the dealership awaiting recall parts, so I've been riding my Triumph Bobber while trying to patiently wait for the repairs to be completed. I was going back and forth between the T-Rex and R-Gaza guards, and I'm leaning more toward the R-Gazas, because I want to be add auxiliary lights on them to make myself more visible from the front without having to worry about a tipover damaging the lights. Once I get the FJR back, I'll hit you up to go for a ride some weekend morning. Do you have a communicator at all? I have a Cardo Packtalk that I use to be able to talk with a few other friends I ride with from time to time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, @Boomer59! I live right in Rice Lake about 2 blocks from the Kwik Trip on the north end of town. My FJR is sitting at the dealership awaiting recall parts, so I've been riding my Triumph Bobber while trying to patiently wait for the repairs to be completed. I was going back and forth between the T-Rex and R-Gaza guards, and I'm leaning more toward the R-Gazas, because I want to be add auxiliary lights on them to make myself more visible from the front without having to worry about a tipover damaging the lights. Once I get the FJR back, I'll hit you up to go for a ride some weekend morning. Do you have a communicator at all? I have a Cardo Packtalk that I use to be able to talk with a few other friends I ride with from time to time.

Small World! Are you a local, or new to the area? I live south of Barron, but work in Rice Lake, so I'm in town most days. Are you having Hauck Powersports complete your recalls? I've known Rusty for years, Great Guy!. I Can't comment on his current crew, as I do my own maintenance, and repairs. When you get your bike back, we'll go for a ride. It doesn't matter what brand of guards you get, only that you get them. I have Cardo Scalarider Q2 radios. I believe they're compatible with the newer Packtalk radios, with limitations on how many radios it can communicate with.
I was going to private message you, but since the recent revamp of this website, I haven't figured out how to. If you can figure it out PM me.
Boomer

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha FJR1300ES
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Small World! Are you a local, or new to the area? I live south of Barron, but work in Rice Lake, so I'm in town most days. Are you having Hauck Powersports complete your recalls? I've known Rusty for years, Great Guy!. I Can't comment on his current crew, as I do my own maintenance, and repairs. When you get your bike back, we'll go for a ride. It doesn't matter what brand of guards you get, only that you get them. I have Cardo Scalarider Q2 radios. I believe they're compatible with the newer Packtalk radios, with limitations on how many radios it can communicate with.
I was going to private message you, but since the recent revamp of this website, I haven't figured out how to. If you can figure it out PM me.
Boomer
I moved here with my family almost 2 years ago. I'm actually having the recall work done at Airtech Sports in Menomonie, because they're the only ones in NW Wisconsin with a gold certified Yamaha motorcycle mechanic. I'll probably have Hauck do the 1,000 mile service, but when it comes to tearing into the transmission, I wasn't going to trust just anyone. To PM someone on here (it's exactly like my Bobber forum), you just hover over the name under my avatar and then then a box will pop up with "Message" as an option in the lower right. I'll shoot you a message when I get my FJR back. I have a feeling it'll have to go through another break-in period though, so I might have a baby it for a bit but the fun will start soon enough.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Shouldn't have to go through a break-in..... tranny gears only are new, nothing else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts