FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I upgraded from the 2006 to the 2015 FJR, I transferred the Seth Laam heated seats over to the new bike. Unlike Corbin and factory heated seats, Seth Laam doesn't install an on/off switch on the side of the seat because there is nothing solid enough on the side of the seat for such an installation, according to Seth. On the 2006, I installed a couple lighted rocker switches on the front-left fairing panel, just behind the glove box. They looked good and worked well but offered only two choices - off, and what I like to call "chestnuts roasting on an open fire". I decided that with the new bike I was going to go with something that would offer some level of adjustability in the heat settings. I could have gone with a heat-troller from Gerbing or the like but I wanted something that didn't stick out or look like it didn't belong. I opted for an RF remote controlled PWM LED dimmer. I picked up a two-pack on Amazon for under $15 CDN.

After installing a Fuzeblock under the front seat, I was ready to wire up and test the remote heat controller. The wiring part was easy enough, but I had to fight with the remotes to to get them to pair-up with their respective dimmers. By default, the remotes and dimmers are set to the same frequency so one remote controls both dimmers and therefore both seats. I found a video on YouTube that was very helpful. I even went to a local electronics repair shop to pick up a couple 12VDC LEDs so I could verify that the remotes and dimmers were properly paired.

Although the dimmers are designed to switch and dim LED lights, they are rated for 6 amps and each seat only draws 1.74 amps at full load. There are buttons on the remote for 100%, 50%, and 25% power which, when measured, are 1.74, 0.88, and 0.44 amps respectively. If that doesn't provide enough adjustability, there are brightness + and - buttons that allow for 1% increments. See pictures and videos below of the installation and initial testing.

If I get a chance later this week I'll take the bike outside in my driveway and run it for a bit with the seats operating at the 3 power levels. I have a FLIR camera so I can take some temperature measurements. The real test (of course) will be going for a ride. I may also install a couple LEDs up front for visual feedback and just in case the controllers and dimmers ever need to be re-paired.

Zwartie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts