FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm after a heat controller (aka troller) for use with a heated jacket.

The ones at www.warmnsafe.com look good, but would mean importing the items from the States to the UK. Not a big issue, but sometimes you can get stung for Import Duty and VAT.

Does anyone know of any UK/Europe items?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What make is your jacket, thought they all did variable controllers that matched their gear? My mates Gialli jacket came with a little push button controller that gives three or four heat levels.

Gerbing (go to http://www.gerbing.nl/ and click on the 'accessorie' tab at the top of the screen) do variable controllers like the heatroller in either dual or single channel, cased or for panel mounting and they seem to cost about the same as the ones you linked to. Shouldn't be a problem to fit matching plugs/socket to those on your jacket, and as they work by pulsing the power supply then as long as the current draw was in the same ball park as the Gerbing jacket it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Which jacket are you using? I've got a widder one like this sat in my shed that I've never actually used which I'd be willing to part with. Come to think of it I've also got a Widder vest I've never used.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll follow them up.

Being a tight tosser (and always keen for an excuse to tinker with something new) I've just ordered a kit from www.heat4jackets.com

23 Blairos and I can make my existing jacket liner into a heated whositt. With the current UK ice-age it may be a while - about June - before it needs to be turned down from "Perma-Roast", but I thought I'd plan ahead.

Current draw is 55w, so very similar to the Gerbing/Widder range.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
You sure you're not Scottish? :lol:

Mind you, having had to take my Gerbing jacket apart to sort out a short circuit and seen the rats nest of wiring in it I reckon it shouldn't be too difficult to knock up something a whole lot neater.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
marshman said:
You sure you're not Scottish? :lol:
Worse tha than I'm afraid MM - we Geordies can make a Yorkshireman seem positively generous. :twisted:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jeese christ.....dont go on about wearing heated clothing in the south. Them Northeners will have a ruddy field day. softie southeners un all that crap.
Really must think about what you are going to put on this web site first in future chaps.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Its all right Alman, he's from Solihull. That's up north isn't it? :wink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the lofty position amongst the northern hill tribes of GeordieLand, Solihull seemed so far south to be almost France.

However, having now spent 30 years here doing missionary positions (sorry - missionary work) amongst the natives, I have come to realise that Hadrian built the wall in the wrong place. Probably some issue with planning permission, Jonnus Prescotticus and Green Belt land, but it should have gone up about level with Watford as that seems the natural border for namby-pamby-southernitis. :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
richfjr said:
but it should have gone up about level with Watford as that seems the natural border for namby-pamby-southernitis. :wink:
Ha! As a non-british/escaped-convict person, I've often thought that myself, since I first saw the wall. Though having once lived in Watford, I'd have run the wall just north of it, probably along the M25 :twisted:

Just rolled past my first 1,000 miles now, mainly jaunting between Bristol and London, and managing pretty nicely with no electricery so far.
Wednesday morning was something of a shock to my tropically bred self though, and I have been thinking heated grips or gloves might be handy at times.
Any further north mind, and I'd be after more electrics fo sure :shock:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Got to tell you about mate of mine , who I worked with for years.
He took his brother up to Bristol Airport, couple years ago..

Year or so later me and wife are going off to Las Vegas. I told my mate that we had to fly from Heathrow.
"Is that bigger than Bristol?" He asked.
He could,nt get over the fact , that , yes Heathrow Airport, was bigger than Bristol.

Round these parts behond Bristol we be lost.

One other thing , we were at a Jive weekend in Torquay couple weeks ago.
One group had come all the way down from Scotland. Saturday happened to be a nice day.
The Jocks could not get over the fact, that in the middle of winter, you could walk around the Harbour, in Tee shirts.
They had at long last, found the right sort of climate to be able to wear a Tartan dress in. Whoops , sory Kilt. :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True Brummie story. Somewhat off topic, but it's interesting where things lead.

Four of us - all blokes - in the car travelling to catch the ferry at Dover. Myself and two similarly middle-aged friends and one of the bloke's 18 year old nephew and we're off for a weekend's cycling in Belgium.

Down the M40 on a Friday night, onto the M25 and grind to a standstill at Heathrow almost directly under the flightpath. A dead clear night so you see the lights of five, possibly six planes in the final line up. One jumbo roars overhead and the line of lights moves slowly towards us.

The younger voice from the back enquires "How long can those big [email protected] hover for then?"

Perhaps Hadrian should have built the Wall around Birmingham in order to keep the inbreds from travelling. (No offence to Woody and ScooterSue).

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
:lol:

Was glad of the electrickery tonight. Snowing all the way from the Blackwall tunnel to home :evil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts