FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I fitted Oxford Heated Grips to the FJR today. Wonderful! Why did I wait so long? I wired the grips straight to the battery meaning they can be turned on without the ignition key or it would be easy to forget to turn them off after use, which would flatten the battery. Can anyone tell me where to take the live feed from so they only work when the ignition is on?
Thank's for any info.
Devon.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I fitted a relay beside the battery and took the switched feed from the live feed to the breaklight switch.

Mind you, i was in a rush getting the heated grips on so I did a temporary installation to start with and only fitted the relay after I drained the battery twice. :oops:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someone suggested using the horn. I attached to the leads to the horn. Switched power and current is not a problem. They work great! And it is very easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The power to my bikes heated grips comes from a relay connected direct to the battery. The signal to the relay is taken from the brown and blue wire at the fuse box as this is the main switched feed to the bikes electrical system. Suspect that the load from the grips could easily be fed direct from this source, but I wanted to put in a relay to provide a switched source for other items (power sockets etc).

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
283 Posts
RE:- heated grips

I have the Yamaha ones on the FJR and the Oxfords on two XJs.

The Oxford Hot Grips are MUCH hotter than the Yamaha ones and way, way better value - 29Stg at the NEC show.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wired my grips into the headlight dipped beam wire(the green one on the top) so now the grips not only come on with the ignition but the engine has to be running as well, seems to work fine. I thought about the option of the horn but the wires to the horn are very thin so I was worried about over heating them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Coppertop - that sounds like a good idea, although on my '03 model the lights will come on without the engine running, but it certainly stops the grips draining power without the ignition on. Is that wire easy to find? Rob

·
Registered
163 Posts
My heated grips are wireless and don't drain the battery

I wait for the sun to come out!!! :crylarf:

Teejay

·
Registered
103 Posts
Carman, it is dead easy, look at the back of the headlight at the plug connector, there are 3 wires, the green one is the dipped beam 12v supply, on mine the headlights come on automatically as soon as you start the engine, on your switched headlights it would mean you have to run with the headlights on for your grips to work. if you need a photo give me a shout, i did solder the wire in properly but it's not a hard job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those Oxford grip are they confortable? I have a little vibration problem on the right side of the handlebar, plus I want Heated grip do you think that they are more confortable then the original one?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have had both the Daytona and the Oxford heated grips on FJRs, and although the Oxfords are the softer of the two, they still seem a bit harder than the standard grips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the oxford ones on my 05', they are a little larger diameter than the stockers but the thing i didnt like was that they are shorter than the stockers, which is very noticable if you got big mitts. I paid about 60 canadian fer mine

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
grez said:
...the thing i didnt like was that they are shorter than the stockers, which is very noticable if you got big mitts.
Fitting them does leave a bit of a gap at one end or the other. Ideal if you have a Vista Cruise type throttle lock.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts