FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wondering if the heat shield on the '06 which installs between the engine bay and the gas tank fits pre-'06 models, be on notice that it will fit, but only with a bit of loving taloring.
Mine's an '03 Classic model and I have the fiberglass/foil part installed. The '06 design is different enough to require a few snips with scissors here and there to allow tha air injection hoses and fuel line through. It took me about 2 hours of carefull tailoring for the installation. The insulator material goes under the T-Brace, requiring removal.
Fit is nice and tight, with only about 1/8th inch separation between the frame rails and insulator. The fuel and tank vent lines are somewhat more compressed, which is a concern. But the bike runs fine.
We will see if the tank runs cooler. Previously, I had two layers of fiber cloth/ foil insulation adhered to the tank, so I expect little change in my running temps which were not a problem. During the summer, I install waterpipe closed foam insulation over the frame rails. This setup has eliminated any heat issues on my bike.
End of report. Regards, BAGSTR

·
Registered
91 Posts
During the summer, I install waterpipe closed foam insulation over the frame rails. This setup has eliminated any heat issues on my bike.
BAGSTR, Got any pics of this? Also looking forward to your report on the heat shield. Would be more of a hassle though to take off the T-bar to do the TBS.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc,

My profile gallery has photos of the various insulators.

Re: tunup hassle. Well, yes, it depends on if you enjoy the hassle. On a two hour ride with the new shield but not the frame foam, I came to the conclusion that there is very little heat escaping from under the tank. But on a 95d day, I will still want zero heat escaping and will install my frame insulators as well.

Regards,
BAGSTR
Don't want no '06

·
Registered
16 Posts
[quote="NMCoolBlue]Would be more of a hassle though to take off the T-bar to do the TBS.[/quote]

Not sure what you are getting at, but it is not necessary to take off the T-bar to do a TBS on pre-'06 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: T-bar

NMCoolBlue said:
Hi David,

I know but it looks like it is necessary if you install the 06 heat shield on an 03-05 bike because the heat shield is installed under the T-bar.
I see. Would it not be possible just to push it back enough to get at the vacuum ports and adjustment screws? Not scrunchy enough? I simply cut out a piece of foil-coated firewall insulator blanket that I bought at Pep Boys and laid it on top of the t-bar. Used another piece under the seat. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Would it not be possible just to push it back enough to get at the vacuum ports and adjustment screws? Not scrunchy enough? I simply cut out a piece of foil-coated firewall insulator blanket that I bought at Pep Boys and laid it on top of the t-bar. Used another piece under the seat. Seems to work fine.
Don't know as I haven't done this mod yet. With your set up how do you route the lines going to and from the gas tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So BAGSTR... have you noticed any improvements with the 06 Heat Shield installed? as compared to your foil/blanket insulation. I'm going to undertake one of your two methods but would like to do whichever offers the best heat reduction to the tank.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
06 Blanket

Swy,

I recommend using the '06 insulator. It blocks 95% of the hot air and make the tank insulation redundant.
I don't see how you can get the insulator in without removing the T-Bar. I tried to cut the insulator as little as posible.

In San Diego, BAGSTR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks BAGSTR,
The 06 insulation shield goes for $113 at my dealership and the insulation blanket goes for $30 online. If both methods priovided the same general reduction in heat the choice was simple. However, since the 06 insulation shield offer greater reduction, I now have have to include the cost factor. Trying to make the final choice between the two....

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.