FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone wondering if the heat shield on the '06 which installs between the engine bay and the gas tank fits pre-'06 models, be on notice that it will fit, but only with a bit of loving taloring.
Mine's an '03 Classic model and I have the fiberglass/foil part installed. The '06 design is different enough to require a few snips with scissors here and there to allow tha air injection hoses and fuel line through. It took me about 2 hours of carefull tailoring for the installation. The insulator material goes under the T-Brace, requiring removal.
Fit is nice and tight, with only about 1/8th inch separation between the frame rails and insulator. The fuel and tank vent lines are somewhat more compressed, which is a concern. But the bike runs fine.
We will see if the tank runs cooler. Previously, I had two layers of fiber cloth/ foil insulation adhered to the tank, so I expect little change in my running temps which were not a problem. During the summer, I install waterpipe closed foam insulation over the frame rails. This setup has eliminated any heat issues on my bike.
End of report. Regards, BAGSTR

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc,

My profile gallery has photos of the various insulators.

Re: tunup hassle. Well, yes, it depends on if you enjoy the hassle. On a two hour ride with the new shield but not the frame foam, I came to the conclusion that there is very little heat escaping from under the tank. But on a 95d day, I will still want zero heat escaping and will install my frame insulators as well.

Regards,
BAGSTR
Don't want no '06

·
Registered
16 Posts
[quote="NMCoolBlue]Would be more of a hassle though to take off the T-bar to do the TBS.[/quote]

Not sure what you are getting at, but it is not necessary to take off the T-bar to do a TBS on pre-'06 models.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: T-bar

NMCoolBlue said:
Hi David,

I know but it looks like it is necessary if you install the 06 heat shield on an 03-05 bike because the heat shield is installed under the T-bar.
I see. Would it not be possible just to push it back enough to get at the vacuum ports and adjustment screws? Not scrunchy enough? I simply cut out a piece of foil-coated firewall insulator blanket that I bought at Pep Boys and laid it on top of the t-bar. Used another piece under the seat. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Would it not be possible just to push it back enough to get at the vacuum ports and adjustment screws? Not scrunchy enough? I simply cut out a piece of foil-coated firewall insulator blanket that I bought at Pep Boys and laid it on top of the t-bar. Used another piece under the seat. Seems to work fine.
Don't know as I haven't done this mod yet. With your set up how do you route the lines going to and from the gas tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
NMCoolBlue said:
With your set up how do you route the lines going to and from the gas tank?
Just made a couple of slits in the blanket. Others have disconnected the hoses and made holes. I'm lazy so I just made the slits. Can't imagine that it makes a whole lot of difference in the insulating efficiency.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So BAGSTR... have you noticed any improvements with the 06 Heat Shield installed? as compared to your foil/blanket insulation. I'm going to undertake one of your two methods but would like to do whichever offers the best heat reduction to the tank.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
06 Blanket

Swy,

I recommend using the '06 insulator. It blocks 95% of the hot air and make the tank insulation redundant.
I don't see how you can get the insulator in without removing the T-Bar. I tried to cut the insulator as little as posible.

In San Diego, BAGSTR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks BAGSTR,
The 06 insulation shield goes for $113 at my dealership and the insulation blanket goes for $30 online. If both methods priovided the same general reduction in heat the choice was simple. However, since the 06 insulation shield offer greater reduction, I now have have to include the cost factor. Trying to make the final choice between the two....

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts