FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I had read made me go for the 06 FJR . Never saw one, never rode one. I had read previous years were cookers but the 06 corrected this. WRONG!!!! We just had 3 days with the temp around 90. Went for a ride Saturday to get ice cream (30 miles, country 50mph) After 15 minutes the lower half of the tank was HOT! My left leg was getting fried from the heat rolling out from the lower part of the fairing. (The movable panels were closed) I have cruise pegs (found in the forum) and had to use them or fry. Anyone else having this problem? This was not fun to ride in the heat. :? :(

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
hjarmitage said:
I had read previous years were cookers but the 06 corrected this. WRONG!!!! After 15 minutes the lower half of the tank was HOT! My left leg was getting fried from the heat rolling out from the lower part of the fairing.
Did the heat remove the crease from your Bermuda shorts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, only a handfull of posts for this guy and you guys are on 'em like a fly on shizits.
I can see I will fit in just fine on this site.
8)

I have an '06 being delivered in August and can't wait.
So is this bike not for shorts and t-shirt riding?
How 'bout flip-flops?
I have these cool water shoes..........
:twisted:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
wallygator said:
So is this bike not for shorts and t-shirt riding? How 'bout flip-flops?
No, only pilots of green Ninjas (any displacement, 600 is best, preferably older, ratty condition, extremely loud 4-1 pipe of undetermined make) may wear what is known as the "official Ninja street racer garb":

ball cap on backwards
gym shorts (swimsuit also ok in summer)
no shirt (OK only if barbed wire tat is on arm)
flip flops
fake Oakleys

·
Registered
113 Posts
'06 heat?

@hjarmitage - first, fill the tank before your next ride. Second, go faster. 50 mph? Why did you want an FJR if you're going to be enjoying scenic putts about the countryside? It's an excellent bike, but not much for slow scenic wanders. If you're not going fast enough to get good air flow through the radiator, it will heat up, then the fans will kick on and blow hot air back on you. It's much more comfy at higher speeds w/o need of the cooling fans.

There are adjustments for the '06 fairing. Play with them some before your next slow ride and let us know if that helps. Also, please post what the ambient temp is during your ride. After all, pretty much all bikes are hot at 50 mph on a 90F day. :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 2,000 miles on my '06 FJR and live in North Texas where the days have been averaging in the high 90's to low 100's.

For me there is no heat issue with the '06. Of course I tend to ride a bit fast than 50 mph (except for first gear)! :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well 20V, I lost my notes from the Anti-Heat-Zealot wars, so figured we could just start with the easy questions and see if it's just someone baiting, or an actual rider with complaints. :D

Anybody break 1k posts yet? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
632 Posts
ocfjr said:
Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, please tell us what gear you were wearing. This will help us to better understand the heat levels you were feeling.
This week in the UK, I have been riding my '06 in temp ranging from 25 to 29c. I wear black leather trousers, black boots. No heat issues at all. The vents on the fairing are closed.

Alan

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yep...it's hot. My '03 FJR is hot, my '06 Harley is hot, my '00 Buell was hot, my '92 BMW K100 was hot, my '03 Ford F150 is hot (but only under the hood)

Safe to say just about all internal combustion engines (especially those that make a lot of horsepower) are hot..some are hotter than others.

Another thing; they all use oil. Some use 20w50, some use 10w40. Some use synthetic...others use petroleum based. yep, they all use oil too. :roll:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks Alan. sounds like great weather for riding.

I was more interested in an answer from hjarmitage, but I think he/she just baited and left. I notice no more posts from him/her in this thread. :roll:

·
Registered
949 Posts
ocfjr said:
I was more interested in an answer from hjarmitage, but I think he/she just baited and left. I notice no more posts from him/her in this thread. :roll:
I suspect there is more than a nuisance level of this "one post baiting" happening. Allan's succinct post on ambient temps, clothes, vent setting and perceived temp is valuable. 8)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts