FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Silly thought......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought a 21 fjr black on black, this June of 2022.. was last years model but brand new.. horrible head shake below 50mph when you let go of the bars. Turned into death wobble below 40mph.. Took it to sublimity yamaha in oregon.. told them something wasn't right cause I had head shake below 50mph when I let go of the bars.
Long story short. They said thier tech road it and found nothing alarming. I told him the tech needed to let go of the bars... He stated it was a safety issue for his techs to do that so they would not. Then charged me 169.00 for shop time...
I had 40.00 all balls tapered bearings installed at a different shop.( 700.00 labor ). The bike doesn't shake, or drift left anymore.
Disappointed I had to do 750.00 of work to a brand new bike to make it safe.... No dealer support, sad yamaha won't acknowledge the issue..... love the bike, but next one won't be a yamaha..

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Did you have them retorqued to spec at 600 miles as suggested? If it drifted left it sounds like it wasn't assembled correctly out of the crate. Tightening all of the front end nuts and bolts in proper sequence is key.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
I'm suprised Sublimity didn't suggest that. In addition, I think the 13 ft. lbs. torque is too light. Retorquing the head bearings may have resolved your issue. Those were installed at the factory, the dealer assembles the front wheel/axles, mirrors and windshield. Not to mention, many did not like the OEM Bridgestone BT-023 tires after a while.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I.... Those were installed at the factory, the dealer assembles the front wheel/axles, mirrors and windshield. ........
I should have been more clear... even installing the front wheel has a "proper procedure". Can't remember it off the top of my head but lower triple, axle, pinch bolts, caliper bolts (and even the front fender bolts if you want to be anal) should be done correctly. I remember my bike pulling left a little and I loosened, bounced and retorqued the front end and it tracks rally well now.

Reactions: bounce

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Well, hang in there. Don't know if my buddy is doing his tech day next spring, but a day ride and you're there. Lots of good peeps will help you out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts