FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished changing the bulbs on my 14. One giant PIA, hope I never have to do that again. Left side wasn't so bad, right side was terrible. Since I had to change them, I went with LED. I do love the look and brightness of the LED's and they are supposed to last longer than traditional bulbs.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,804 Posts
Just finished changing the bulbs on my 14. One giant PIA, hope I never have to do that again. Left side wasn't so bad, right side was terrible. Since I had to change them, I went with LED. I do love the look and brightness of the LED's and they are supposed to last longer than traditional bulbs.
So, help folks out here. Specifically, what LED bulbs did you use?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2013 FJR
65 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJR
121 Posts
Color me surprised that you'd have to change the bulbs on such a new bike! I've had my 2008 since buying it (used) in 2017, and both bulbs are still going strong.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,804 Posts
On both my FJRs I didn't change them b/c they died. I changed them b/c I ride at night often and wanted better lighting than OEM supplied.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
On both my FJRs I didn't change them b/c they died. I changed them b/c I ride at night often and wanted better lighting than OEM supplied.
Same here. At first I used the top of the line Sylvania bulbs. They were a bit brighter than the stock ones, but predictably lasted for about a year only before they burned out. The first gen LEDs were brighter, but their high beams weren’t good. They improved a lot since. The only suggestion I would make is that if you buy a set of LEDs, get the fanless ones as @jlbinc did. Fans are early failure points - as I experienced it in my cars and the bikes. They may tell you that the bulbs last many thousands of hours, but even if the LED diodes could, the little fan motors behind them certainly won’t. I am running the same bulbs as @jlbinc does for quite some time without issues so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
YMMV when it comes to fanless vs. fan-integrated LED headlights.
Reading through this discussion, I realized that I installed my LED headlights -- with fans -- back in 2017. So, five years ago.
I can't say how many miles/hours that's been, though. I've been very happy with them, and no fan failures (knock on wood).

Some discussions say you want the fans, to prevent premature bulb failure, and/or overheating/discoloration of the headlight reflector area.

Mine were from cyclopsadventuresports.com, 7000 lumen H4. The only down side was that I did have to modify part of the boot at the headlight housing to accommodate some feature on the new bulb, as I recall. Not difficult, just a minor annoyance. Night and day difference in brightness, though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Color me surprised that you'd have to change the bulbs on such a new bike! I've had my 2008 since buying it (used) in 2017, and both bulbs are still going strong.
I bought it new in Feb 2015, little over 70K miles so far. I noticed the right low beam was out about a week ago then on Fri both LB were out. I had to ride home at night with the HB on. I don't use the HB very often, even in the middle of nowhere I mainly use the LB.

·
Registered
2006 FJR1300
77 Posts
YMMV when it comes to fanless vs. fan-integrated LED headlights.
Reading through this discussion, I realized that I installed my LED headlights -- with fans -- back in 2017. So, five years ago.
I can't say how many miles/hours that's been, though. I've been very happy with them, and no fan failures (knock on wood).

Some discussions say you want the fans, to prevent premature bulb failure, and/or overheating/discoloration of the headlight reflector area.

Mine were from cyclopsadventuresports.com, 7000 lumen H4. The only down side was that I did have to modify part of the boot at the headlight housing to accommodate some feature on the new bulb, as I recall. Not difficult, just a minor annoyance. Night and day difference in brightness, though!
Very true, YMMV. I was speaking from my own experience. I had to replace LED bulbs on both of our cars and the bike, not because the LED burned out after a couple of years, but because one out of the pair’s fan started to scream - an imminent sign of motor failure. I haven’t noticed any discoloration of the lenses or any damage to the housing since I started using fanless bulbs. As far as I know, cooling is needed to keep the circuitry behind the LED cool, and not the actual bulb from getting too hot. My thinking is that the incandescent H4s put out a lot more heat than LEDs do, but incandescent H4s don’t have delicate circuits in them either. As such they are probably harder on the housing than LEDs are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts