Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlights will not come on any ideas????. Have been going through all the wires. Have reapled relays and wiring harness for headlights nothing seems to be working also have replaced cdi . Some say the left switch controls the headlights. Any help or ideas. Would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
Headlights only come on once the bike is started.... are the bulbs OK? What year are we talking about?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No headlights will not come on at all even when the bike is started. Its a 2010 fjr 1300

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR A Model
7,900 Posts
I would first determine if there is power to the bulb sockets or not. That will determine which side of the socket to troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
Usually the switch isn't the problem, it only switches between Low and High beam. I think you have to check at the headlight socket to see power is getting there on the positive side on both high and low. If so, switch and relay are OK.
If no ground, then you need to investigate the ground spiders as Russ mentioned. The black wires in the sockets are ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The headlight sockets have power to them. It has a clicking sound when I put power directly to the switch specifically to high and low and the relay has clicking to it . Ground wire would generally cause a starter problem or electric issues some where else . Right????

·
Premium Member
7,779 Posts
The starter circuits are completely independent.
You need the service manual to make sense of all the grounds... you may get an early warning sign of a ground problem, might be the headlights. Next might be something else or in addition to.....
Have a look at this thread.... in particular the path all the accumulating grounds have to take.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/120578-ground-spider-comes-home-roost.html

S6 carries both headlights, so does S7, I'd look there first... work your way to S4 next it carries the most current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new to these bikes and don't yet have a service manual so not sure how the wiring circuit looks. However. I have a 94 Vmax that did the same thing and the diagram showed the headlight wiring passing through the starter button. (I guess it kills the headlamp till the motor fires) I cleaned the starter button and that fixed it. Can't hurt to check....

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The headlight sockets have power to them. It has a clicking sound when I put power directly to the switch specifically to high and low and the relay has clicking to it . Ground wire would generally cause a starter problem or electric issues some where else . Right????
Happy,

Lots of stuff on the FJR will have full voltage applied constantly, and those things get activated by connecting those items to ground. The horn and brake lights are done that way, so maybe other stuff as well. If something should be working and it does not, check to see if the ground wires have voltage on them. If so, the ground wiring is not well-connected and will need attention. Connect the ground lead of the multimeter directly to the battery negative terminal, of course, not to a frame member or some random bolt. If you have a Battery Tender SAE connection, one side of that plug is connected straight to the battery negative terminal.

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1296941-post4.html
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy,

Lots of stuff on the FJR will have full voltage applied constantly, and those things get activated by connecting those items to ground. The horn and brake lights are done that way, so maybe other stuff as well. If something should be working and it does not, check to see if the ground wires have voltage on them. If so, the ground wiring is not well-connected and will need attention. Connect the ground lead of the multimeter directly to the battery negative terminal, of course, not to a frame member or some random bolt. If you have a Battery Tender SAE connection, one side of that plug is connected straight to the battery negative terminal.

Headlights
:mrgreen:
I'm new to these bikes and don't yet have a service manual so not sure how the wiring circuit looks. However. I have a 94 Vmax that did the same thing and the diagram showed the headlight wiring passing through the starter button. (I guess it kills the headlamp till the motor fires) I cleaned the starter button and that fixed it. Can't hurt to check....
Bulbs burned out? Before 2016 bulbs were filament type usually burn out close together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts