FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have....

Does anyone know if the new 06 grips are longer in the rubber grip than the previous version. My dealer has taken it upon himself to fit the previous model of heated grips (02 >05) on my 06 and they are 5mm shorter than the plastic that sits under the rubber and you adhere too.
This means that the plastic under the original grips still shows when you change them over and it looks rubbish.
I'm insisting he changes them to the correct set once he gets them in. I'm told that there not in the UK yet? :x

If anyone could help and measure the length of the new heated grips it would be greatly appreciated... :D

Nova :(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, if the AS is anything to go by, with heated grips fitted as standard, does this photo answer your question? :

[/URL][/img]

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Rabbit1300 said:
Well, if the AS is anything to go by
So how's thing work? Have you posted elsewhere on the auto clutch function? Has Liquid bitched about it yet? :lol: 8)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic Rabbit1300, Thanks for the reference and the photo answers it beyong doubt.

Cheers have a :ale: on me... :D

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Rabbit1300,

Any chance you could take one more photo from the top looking down over the grip and get both the control unit, mounted in the fairing, and a grip in the same shot?

Thanks again for the help.... :wink:

Cheers,

Nova

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I don't have an 06 Nova - it's a pic from the Yam UK web site.

I checked a couple of other world Yam sites but can't find anything better.

Everybody who fitted heated grips on 01-05 bikes had the same problem, shorter grips. I solved mine by making aluminium spacers to go next to the bar ends I got from Bikejohnny.

I would assume you have been supplied with the old grips and not the "new" ones. This assumes Yam are supplying more suitable grips in the future.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Yamaha website only lists grips for the 01-05 not the 06. Novawing, can you post a pic so we can see what the problem looks like?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Ian & Rabbit1300 thanks for the help guy's.

The problem is exactly as you've discribed it Rabbit . The 05 grips are too short and at the end of each handlebar your left with the plastic showing because the grip is too small for the handlebar. Your solution sounds ideal but I'm pressing my dealer to fit the 06 ones that I ordered although Yamaha don't appear to have them in stock yet? Unless anyone knows differently?

Sorry that I can't post a picture my digital camera is broken and I haven't got around to replacing it yet.... :cry:

Thanks again guy's,

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news....Yamaha & dealer agreed to change the 05 set of heated grips for the new 06 heated grips once they are in the UK...yipee! :lol:

Nova... :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Heated grips are not yet in Belgium either.
I bet we will get it in the middle of the summer :lol:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Do the 06 grips have the speed sensitive thermostat like the ones fitted as standard to the AS model?

Might go some way to justifying the price tag if they do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
speed sensitive ?
Didn't even know about that when I ordered it.
Where come this info from ?
:roll:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Was in the AMA article that David1300 linked to a little while ago http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/FJR1300AE/

Quote "The other unique feature of the AE model is the heated grips. The rider chooses a setting between LO and HI on the rotary dial on the fairing and the grips adjust with the speed of the bike. Go faster, grips get warmer. Stop at a light, they cool off."

First I'd heard of it too, but it's on the internet, so it must be true 8)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Not speed sensitive per se

When the bike is stopped, the revs drop, so the grips switch off to avoid draining the electrical resources.

When you are travelling down the road, the grips will maintain their heat and also, it feels like they are getting hotter.

So, if you ever test them, the bike has to be running a good 2k revs or more. I remember one owner posting a help question about his grips only "working part of the time" - and that was/is the reason.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I knew the old grips had the voltage cutoff featurette, just didn't realise that Yamaha had now employed an estate agent to rewrite the spec sheet and sell it as a speed sensing item :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
heated grips on 06 fjr yamaha brand

My dealer installed the controller on a bracket off the brake resovoir(?) and said it was per the instructions. I thought the cut out on the dash was the spot for them. He also said he grip kit was an aftermarket and not made by yamaha to which i said i would not have paid 250 to buy an aftermarket set when i could get them for 75 dollars. It also took them 6 hours to install, only charged for 3. Obviously this is the first set they ever installed. any help?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Novaflyer said:
Evening folks.
If you would like to see an alternative to the factory grips that are also a fraction of the price, you can see my installation here:
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8074
They work great and look OEM.
NFlyer
Very nice, NovaFlyer, Well done !

Rockmurf, are you sure it's a '06 grips your dealer have installed ? This kind of installation will realy make me angry !

·
Registered
69 Posts
heated grips on 06 fjr yamaha brand

Harold, I really have no way of knowing. When I complained about it the dealer said they installed them per the instr. Of course I did not get to see the instr. and they said the mount piece came with the kit. I agree it is really sad to see such a good looking bike with this controller sticking up on one side and the cable to the grips flopping above the right hand grip. Oh well life is too short. Ride safe. Everett

1 - 20 of 24 Posts