FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do my oil change yesterday on my 2018. Warmed up the engine. Drained oil, replaced. Engine would not start without tweaking the throttle while cranking.

This morning everything fired up no problem into high idle, warmed up, dropped to low idle. Seems to hesitate a little at low idle. Shut off, waited a minute, restarts ok.

What do you think? Bad gas?

I only have half a tank of regular gas when I parked it in November after we got a heavy snow fall. Normally I try to fill the tank with premium at the end of the season before parking to keep moisture out. My thinking is wait for spring, run it hot, burn the gas down and fill the tank with Premium. I'm thinking topping up now just means more s*itty gas to drive through in March/April when the snow melts and the salt has been washed off the roads.

Damn groundhog...

· Registered
'13 FJR1300A, 03 FZ1, 00 VFR800
829 Posts
To me, sounds like related to the warmup procedure ( or lack of it completely ) before changing oil.
Is a common issues on these scoots if not completely cycled thru the startup cycle.
But would suggest topping off and adding some form of stabilizer for extended storage.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
12,084 Posts
To fix any water in fuel problems, just dump in a couple ounces of isopropanol, or Seafoam.... as Rumblestrip says, may not have got the engine warmed up enough and the ECU starts it in enriched mode.... all that should clear up with a longer ride to get up to operating temperature.

· Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,224 Posts
Warmed up the engine. Drained oil, replaced. Engine would not start without tweaking the throttle while cranking.
This morning everything fired up no problem into high idle, warmed up, dropped to low idle. Seems to hesitate a little at low idle. Shut off, waited a minute, restarts ok. What do you think? Bad gas? Damn groundhog...
Mikester,

Maybe old gas, there's no telling from here. In any case, I'd say to siphon out the old fuel, and fill the FJR tank with fresh gas.
You can still use the old gas in a car. The big gas tank will dilute any problems there, as long as the car's gas tank is 3/4 full or more.

If you can top off the battery charge as well, so much the better. Keep us posted.

· Registered
98 VFR800, 2013 FJR1300A
141 Posts
I have had this happen twice, 1st time after a long sit. After it started, I didn't have any more problems.
2nd time I had changed the plugs, forgot to plug the fuel pump power back in and test fired the bike. Once I plugged the fuel pump back in, it was starved for gas and took some tweaking to get it to start and haven't had a problem since.

So to me it seems like a fuel starve situation rather than bad gas but could be either I suppose. Instead of Premium fuel, I try to fill it with Non-ethanol for long term storage.

· Registered
1975 Norton Commando, 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special, 2017 FJR ES
24 Posts
Remember, modern gas contains ethanol which is a notorious moisture scavenger. If you left your tank half full and didn't put in any stabilizer, then you have a good deal of moisture in the tank. If you had carbeurators, the bike probably wouldn't even start.

· Registered
77 Posts
My Trick is to fill the tank to the limit at the gas station. Then when I get home I put her on the center stand and I top her off to the absolute max from the gas can I use for my lawn mower and such. This leaves nearly no room for moisture over the winter. It works great for me and avoids additives which all have their own issues. I also do my oil and final drive fluid service at the end of the season. So, the first nice day, I just start her up and ride. Wheeeeeeee.

· Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Trick is to fill the tank to the limit at the gas station. Then when I get home I put her on the center stand and I top her off to the absolute max from the gas can I use for my lawn mower and such. This leaves nearly no room for moisture over the winter. It works great for me and avoids additives which all have their own issues. I also do my oil and final drive fluid service at the end of the season. So, the first nice day, I just start her up and ride. Wheeeeeeee.
I usually do that too. I try to run the tank down and do a full top up on premium. Winter and salt arrived early for me. Maybe next year I'll be less cheap and do my last couple of fills on premium.

I hate paying for premium to fill a small tank when all the gas stations use a single hose for all grades these days.

· Registered
85 Posts
Unless you are riding 20k miles per year, non-oxy gas is cheap insurance. I have forgotten to put Stabil in my pressure washer and it fired right up 6 months later! I did the same thing with my snowblower but with ethanol and it destroyed my carb! I run ONLY non-oxy in ALL of my small engines. I would fill your tank to the brim with non-oxy and some Sea Foam NOW because most of the condensation happens in late winter/early spring. Good luck 👍. Jevers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts