FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced the engine cutting out almost like a rev limiter when you leave from a stop ... lots of throttle and clutch not yet fully engaged and engine cuts in and out until the clutch is fully engaged.. It does it in first and second gear for me when trying to do fast starts from a set of lights.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I'm not thoroughly familiar with the FJR yet but it sounds like a sidestand switch or clutch switch issue... if it has them. Gotta be something electronic.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Has anyone experienced the engine cutting out almost like a rev limiter when you leave from a stop ... lots of throttle and clutch not yet fully engaged and engine cuts in and out until the clutch is fully engaged. It does it in first and second gear for me when trying to do fast starts from a set of lights.
Mark,

That could be lots of things, but first I would check the gas tank for water (use a siphon hose), or simply add a few ounces of Seafoam (fuel injector cleaner/water absorber) to the gas. Seafoam is a good idea anyway, on some regular basis, depending on how greedy the gasoline sellers are, there.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How long are you taking to let the clutch in ?
Probably the ECU/TCU cutting in. Let the clutch in quickly and then give it a handful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes its when I am feathering or slipping the clutch and wide large throttle opening... must be a throttle position sensor in relationship to the clutch lever opening

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
A gent had same question in another sandbox, so two of you. From what we understand, rev limiter kicks in somewhere north of 3000 rpm if slipping the clutch. This is not normal riding, you need to change your habits if it's habitual. Engine is simply not seeing normal speeds for that rpm. Do you have a 6 speed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, this is under certain circumstances, not usual... Trying to launch hard like you were racing...you have to slip the clutch. For anyone who has ever drag raced you would understand. thks

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I think Linton may be on to something with traction control.

Reactions: mobilemike

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
This is why traction control and Launch control is different in sports cars.
Clutch in(BY the switch) +engine speed Not = to wheel speed means CRASHING to the computer.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If I try to destroy my clutch, it will do this.

It will not do it anywhere in normal operating range. One other rider has found this feature (I think I’ve referred you to one another, may have been someone different) but only when he tries to emulate squids and use the redlined engine of his bike instead of the horn to warn motorists of his presence.
I can accelerate as hard as I want. All day long. I can work in the friction zone and do all manner of speed maneuvers. And never hit the limiter. Bike revs to normal redline in every gear.
It is only when I try to run illogically high rpm’s while barely letting the clutch out that I can induce the 3-3.5k rpm limit in first and second. It simply doesn’t come into play unless I force it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone experienced the engine cutting out almost like a rev limiter when you leave from a stop ... lots of throttle and clutch not yet fully engaged and engine cuts in and out until the clutch is fully engaged.. It does it in first and second gear for me when trying to do fast starts from a set of lights.

there are several ‘ interact ‘ switchs on the bike

there is 1 located at the kickstand

another at the clutch

careful examination....................some contact cleaner/W D 40 may help

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Mark FJR 1300... what's the latest?

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,117 Posts
This has nothing to do with switches, it's ECU sensing you're revving the crap out of it and slipping the clutch. Speed doesn't match rpms.

Reactions: Bill Lumberg
1 - 14 of 14 Posts