FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out enjoying a Sunday ride on the bike with the little lady and we had come across a wrecked FJR. Appeared to be an ‘05 without its side cases. Few miles south of Julian, CA.

We stopped to offer assistance but nobody was on scene.

I hope the rider isn’t too banged up. I assume he got a ride to the ER with medics or other passerby motorists. Motor was still warm to the touch. Key was removed.

A long skid mark up on the road in the curve ended abruptly just before the shoulder that leads to the downed bike in the distance. It had the telltale signs of a high side and when the bike landed, seems it landed rubber side up sheering off the right grip from the handlebars among other bits.

Tire Cloud Sky Wheel Ecoregion

Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Ecoregion

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
That's a sad sight. Can imagine the somber mood you guys were in riding away from there.

I wonder if the rider was looking at the scenery and the curve snuck up on them.

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300A in San Diego
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Road surface Font Geological phenomenon Asphalt Geology

The curve doesn’t bend all that tight there, but it does sneak up after a quarter mile of straight and veer right and kinda out of sight til you’re already up on it. Quite manageable though unless one is inattentive or has too much speed.

As seen in the earlier image, a few other similar tire marks in the roadway and a small wooden cross not far from that FJR indicate others have also been caught off guard on that curve there.

Maybe a dozen miles or so earlier we also noted a pickup truck that missed a curve (!) and ended up in the ditch next to the road. A fire truck had just arrived.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was out enjoying a Sunday ride on the bike with the little lady and we had come across a wrecked FJR. Appeared to be an ‘05 without its side cases. Few miles south of Julian, CA.

We stopped to offer assistance but nobody was on scene.

I hope the rider isn’t too banged up. I assume he got a ride to the ER with medics or other passerby motorists. Motor was still warm to the touch. Key was removed.

A long skid mark up on the road in the curve ended abruptly just before the shoulder that leads to the downed bike in the distance. It had the telltale signs of a high side and when the bike landed, seems it landed rubber side up sheering off the right grip from the handlebars among other bits.

View attachment 87149

View attachment 87148
It’s a bad sight.

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
59 Posts
I'm not sure this is the case but I know a gent who typically rides sport bikes. He had an R1 for years then switched to the FJR because he wanted a little more touring capability. With the power of the FJR he often rode it like he would ride his R1 however more often than not he would miscalculate the weight and cornering ability. He has skidded that thing into the dirt a time or two (never to the extent above). He would get himself into trouble by treating the bike like a sport bike and forgetting the bikes limitations.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,077 Posts
Not nice to see. Hope the rider's OK.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
532 Posts
Looks like the rider blocked the rear wheel (skid mark) rather than simply turning to follow the road? We don't know the speed etc. but too many accidents are caused by the rider not trusting the bike while leaning over and staying on the road. I have done it myself a few times - crossed the centerline because I didn't feel I could maneuver the curve. However, I have never had my FJR tires slip or skid, so I am sure I could have been way more aggressive in those curves. Hope the rider is OK here.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
I say, we owe a round of respect and gratitude to FJ Rick and "The Lady" for stopping, and checking on a fellow rider. So many times that just does not happen!

Thank you FJ Rick and your Lady! I would be honored to ride with you anytime!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Never a pretty sight, it can happen to anybody :( hope the rider is OK, and hope he was wearing proper protective gear, regular jeans, jackets and gloves offer zero protection.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I'm not sure that skid mark was made by the bike.

I just hope the rider is OK.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hope they are OK. Glad you guys stopped to look and look around too. It’s easy for a rider to be off the bike and not visible and injured. Always check. I’m guessing it was somewhat serious to leave the bike down where it was.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
718 Posts
Thoughts for those involved for sure, but the black mark in question appears to be a burnout started in loose gravel / sand and onto the highway, heading the other direction of course.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hope he is okay, and thank you for stopping.

I use every excuse I can to preach this….practice, practice, practice looking through curves. I have been riding since 1971 and have a few years of competitive amateur road racing experience. But I still make sure I am practicing this. I still ride harder than most in curves.

18 months ago we moved to a meca of the best Texas Roads for sport riding. The downside is that there are many blind curves. That makes looking through curves, as far as you can see, even more important. Part of it involves learning NOT to look at a vehicle coming the other way. In blind curves it can actually be a bit startling to see someone coming the other way at close range in a tight curve. Force yourself to stay focused on your lane and let yourself see the other vehicles in your peripheral vision.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Damn, is that recent?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
A great bike, Indeed!!! So sorry about that, Man!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If there's a bar down the road, that might also explain it. Besides judgement, balance is the first thing to go.

EDIT Moved Content to New Thread:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts