Fjrowners.com banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Blacks are a bunch of toss**s they back out of deals without so much as a phone call to tell you........... :x :x :x

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
broncofx said:
Blacks are a bunch of toss**s they back out of deals without so much as a phone call to tell you........... :x :x :x
whilst not knowing your circumstances re: the above I can report good and not so good in my dealings with blacks I have received the front discs from them and they seem V good for the money - so pleased so far - However I had to make a call to them about the rear which hasn't been shipped yet and have been assured that it is in hand and will be shipped in due course.

so my experience is so far, mixed, but I do agree there communication to the customer is lacking as I have has to do the calling.

PS thxs for the offer liz but I couldn't impose on you again!!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have bought 3 bikes from Black's and offered advice on the purchase of another (VFR 400) to daughter's BF in the past 7 years.

Very mixed picture. All were low - end cheap bikes, none more than £1500. One of them was a complete heap of junk, and had to have a complete engine rebuild, but 2 others, my old XJ900F and Becky's 250 did what it said on the can. However the XJ needed carbs balancing and they said it couldn't be done (?) The VFR had hidden things wrong with it, but a lot of persistance actually got them fixed.

So very much buyer beware methinks.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Time for another addition, not necessarily bike related, but could be useful if you're looking for some odd sized battery for that electronic gizmo thats just stopped working. Handy for alarm remote batteries.

The Small Battery Company

·
Registered
24 Posts
Could be a handy site Just phoned Yam dealer for price of 16 piston seals for front calipers £97.00 me jaws still on the floor need a beer or two two drown me sorrows. :ale: :ale: :ale:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Blimey - I take it that's two seals per piston x8? I just bought some seconhand calipers on fleabay for my R1 - I can refurb them, then swap for the duff ones, refurb them etc..

·
Registered
24 Posts
YEY thats 16 seals in total,when cleaning the calipers I noted rubber seal sticking out from two pistons so must be warped or not put in right last time so figure need to replace all. have found a supplier for £62 now getting better lol, still need a drink though. :ale:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Let me know where you get them from, as I will need some too!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
GORDONZZR said:
...when cleaning the calipers I noted rubber seal sticking out from two pistons...
Had that happen to the rear caliper on my '01 a while ago. Stripped it to find that there was a pile of corrosion in the slot the seal seats. That had pushed the seal harder into the side of the piston and eventually it had nowhere to go. Now it gets a complete strip down at the end of every winter, in fact a seal kit was purchased from the local dealer the weekend before last.
Came to the princely sum of £4.50 :D Maybe non ABS has some advantages. :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
You know you'll need a piston removal tool to do this job?
As opposed to a hammer, mole grips and old screwdriver? :D Dang!

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
dearnla said:
You know you'll need a piston removal tool to do this job?
As opposed to a hammer, mole grips and old screwdriver? :D Dang!
Remind me of your Reg I need to know so I know which one not to buy! :mrgreen:

Question do you replace all the seals (8 off per caliper) or just the other set?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Woody, that's why I bought some spare calipers for my R1 - I'm hoping they're OK (they can't be much worse than what's on there) but otherwise I won't ride it until I refurbish the removed ones, put them back on and resell the spares on e-bay.

BTW, I spotted that M & P ( www.mandp.co.uk ) are doing piston and seal sets for £16.99. Need to price up genuine Yam spares as well, just to be on the safe side... :lol:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts