FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer some advice about riding on country roads when it is windy. Have a 2006 FJR1300a and went out at the weekend, two-up and found the crosswinds horrendous. Was worse when wind came across open fields was almost as if bike was blocking wind and felt solid. Am quite new to riding, only passed my test Sept 2011.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gusts (cross winds) are tricky especially for new riders. I think you get more use to it as you get in more seat time in that environment. Additional things on your bike (like top cases) can catch more cross winds also.

Ride more, and the more you experience it the less you notice it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi ya MrB, all sorts of views out there on this.
I just stick my knee out into the windy side. Seems to stop the wind pressure building up & if the wind is really strong I'll lean my head to that side too. That's it.
See what works for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi MrB I don't think there are much we can do other than slow down and tuck down a bit.
Actually FJR are pretty good in the wind compared to a lot of other bikes with a low center of gravity and 600+ lbs.

I had a Ducati Mulitstrada before my FJR , it's 200 lbs lighter and seats higher, riding that in a windy day is quite... SCARY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mr. B I agree with everyone but thought i would throw my two cents in. I'm 46 and have been riding since I was eight. There's just no substitute for riding experiance. But, when your riding in windy conditions, try to stay loose and practice leaning into the wind. Dont try to fight it, just "feel" the wind and lean into it. I enjoy riding down a straight road, leaning and rocking into the wind. Once you get used to a constant lean it can be fun! Riding VFR's since 1994 - First FJR (2004) purchased 4/2013 :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your natural tendency is to tighten up, but this can make things more difficult and is very tiring. Try to relax, keep your arms and shoulders loose, and keep an eye out for areas where you are likely to encounter wind gusts: top of overpasses, bridges, and hills, tree lines or hills can block the wind so be ready (but relaxed) when you come back into an open area. Tall hills or cuts through hills/mountains can cause the wind to swirl and sometimes come from the opposite direction. Finally, slow down. The faster you are traveling the more the wind will affect you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I tried the knee on the windward side like Tuggy suggested and it sure seems to do the trick.....

·
Registered
2016 ES gun metal silver
62 Posts
I would add that in my experience with heavy crosswinds, I initially tried to anticipate and steer accordingly.. I eventually found a balance, where the wind gust would push, and I would automatically fall into the wind side, and this would steer the bike naturally back to the line. The rake on a bike is self centering and will keep a bike upright without a rider, for quite a distance. I think that is what is happening with a cross wind. The wind pushes you which makes you lean into the wind which steers you back upright. My point isn't its magic, my point is some of the reaction can be natural and relaxed, don't over react. As is said many times above, practice practice. BTW my R6 auto corrects much better than the FJR, but some of that is just me getting used to it.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
463 Posts
Well the OP has an additional 8 years of experience now, so he probably improved.
Annnnddddd it's been a minute since shown as on the site also....

MrB
Registered · From Leeds UK
Joined Jan 23, 2013
Last seen Dec 8, 2013

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here I'm reading this thinking, "the guy ain't a rookie, he's been doing this 10 years!" After reading replies, I realized it's an old post. LOL!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I find the FJR fairly good in the wind, so it could have been the pillion causing the problem.
The worst bike, for wind, I ever had was a Honda ST 1100 Pan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts