FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a fairly recent owner of an '03 ST1300A. I love the bike, but I find it pretty hard to ground handle, especialy if my wife is on the back. I'm 5'9", 180 lbs, 30" inseam and my wife weighs in at about 115 lbs. I have not had the chance to test ride an FJR, and want to know how it feels in this respect compared to the ST.

I posted this same question on the ST forum, but did not get any real comparisons between the 2 bikes. (Several comments about my lack of confidence, weak legs, need lessons, etc. though..) It's sometimes difficult to get straight answers when comparing these two great bikes, which I find frustrating.

My primary reference is a '90 FJ1200 that I have been riding since 1994 (and recently gave to my son). I belive that it weighs in at about 575 lbs wet, and I have no trouble moving it around or coming to stops with my wife on it. The ST is certainly heavier than the FJR, but I think it may also have a significantly higher center of gravity. IS there such a metric? Does the FJR feel similar to the FJ1200 when pushing around the garage or when coming to a stop, walking around when sitting on, etc.?

I don't want to in any way open up the FJR vs. ST debate, but I would definitely like to hear from any of you that may have experience with both bikes.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
rickj said:
I love the bike, but I find it pretty hard to ground handle, especialy if my wife is on the back. I'm 5'9", 180 lbs, 30" inseam and my wife weighs in at about 115 lbs.
Former STer here, bro. You're darn tootin! The STs hide their weight pretty well when moving... but they become a ship anchor when they stop. I noticed a big difference in the weight at a standstill. (thank God)

But I think the saddle on the FJR is a teeny-tiny bit taller. The weight difference between bikes made a huge difference to me.

rickj said:
I have not had the chance to test ride an FJR, and want to know how it feels in this respect compared to the ST.
For the other differences, and there are lots (do you feel squiddly?)... check the link below:

http://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=566&highlight=st1100s

I never was an FJ man, sounds like I shoulda been! ;)

Cheers.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi and welcome Rick. I can't make any comparison between the two bikes, but can just share my experience with the FJR. My height/weight is pretty close to yours, and Zea weighs a few kg more than your wife, but not significantly so. We generally ride without the side cases, except when touring and laden, but always have a top box on. I have no trouble with moving the bike around, and this includes with Zea on the back, but I am very careful to never get into a situation where I have am on significantly left/right sloped ground when she gets on or off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Before I got my 03FJR, I had a 92 FJ. The differences to me are as follows:
- FJR is a bit taller. I seem to tippy toe it a bit more than the FJ; I'm 5-10.
- FJR is a bit heavier and more awkward to push around garage;
- FJR wt disappears once moving, even very slowly;
- pillion is hardly noticable on either;
- the FJ is now impossible to get on its centrestand (though I used to be able to do it relatively easily); the FJR goes up with little effort;
- when I shopped for a new bike, I compared the FJR & ST1300 extensively and the ST always seemed to be a bigger/heavier bike to me.

Glad I chose the FJR still.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
No real need to - a few kg is only a few kg. Mrs Rick is only 52kg - I would worry if that was all Zea weighed - she'd probably blow off on the first corner-exit the way I sometimes boogie on up the road :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well, I've owned 2 FJ1200's, 2 ST1100's, and 2 FJR1300's, but never owned a ST1300. I think the FJ1200 and FJR1300 are pretty similar to man-handle from a weight and size point of view, but I had quite a bit of difficulty with the ST1100's.

I only stand 5'8" tall, though I am fairly strong as I have weight trained all my adult life. I can pick up a downed ST1100 by my self fairly easily, but I couldn't stop them from falling over in the first place. I twice dropped the ST1100's at slow speed, and I had one fall off it's stand. On all 3 occasions it cost me a complete mirror pod, damn expensive.

I have never dropped one of the Yamahas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for the feedback, as this is exactly what I have been looking for. The feedback comparing the FJ to the FJR is especially helpful, as I can relate to it.

I find it refreshing that the responses dealt with my actual question, rather than trying to assess some sort of deficiency on my part for actually having difficulty man-handling a 700 lb. motorcycle!

I guess the bottom line here is that I'll keep ST and keep trying to adapt for a while. However, if I simply cannot adapt to the weight I'll have to sell her and opt for an FJR. I do not want to risk dropping the bike and risking injury to my wife.

Thanks again!
Rick

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Re: Thanks

rickj said:
I'll have to sell her and opt for an FJR.
Okay, but I'm not sure how much you'll get from a pre-owned wife. Perhaps they'd pay more over on the ST board?

(had to have a snyde comment in here somewhere - LOL)

:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
FJR vs ST1300

I had an '03 FJR and then later an '04 ST1300. Both bikes were excellent long range, high speed bikes. Both were comfortable although I had aftermarket saddles and bar risers on them as I'm 6'2".

The FJR was definately the more "sporting" of the two...once I managed to get the suspension dialed in from the factory settings. Before that she was way too harsh and rode like a cement truck which didn't do her handling any favors on the goat paths called roads around here.

I got rid of the FJR due to the heat she radiated, it was rediculous. In the 50s or 60s she was gr8, 70s warm and 80s-HOT! I'm counting on the '06 having had the problem solved per Yamahas' claims. My bike is "EST" to be shipped in March (I ordered her on Sept 28, day 1 to order) per info on the Yamaha dealer website yesterday. If the new FJR lives up to the ads she will be with me for a long time....if. My wallet would appreciate that! DFO :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts