FJR Owners Forum banner

Great ride back

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
Just got back from picking up the FJR I left in Phoenix last November.
If anyone is out in Colorado you might want to look at Hwy 40 out of Grand Junction and head up to Vernal in Utah and then take Hwy 191 into Wyoming up to green river. What a great ride.
Got a screw in my rear 200 miles from home. Put a cord plug in it and went on my way. The Slime pump works great. Debating on putting in a patch from the inside just to use up the tire. Has about 5,000 on it now. Also may start looking at the TPMS systems. We just got done with several 80+ MPH passes when I felt something was not right.

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally, I always just leave the nail/screw/metal in the tire till it loses air or feels funny but to each their own. Last DS tire I ran had a screw in it for over 7K miles and caused 0 problems. Held perfect pressure till I replaced it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

#3 ·
That is a great ride. US191 goes to Rock Springs, WY up the east side of Flaming Gorge. WY530 and UT44 go up the west side of Flaming Gorge to Green River. Both routes are excellent, but I prefer the eastern route 191 to Rock Springs.

I've had many a rear flat tire. No biggie. I've only had one flat on the front. THAT was not fun.

#5 ·
That is a great ride. US191 goes to Rock Springs, WY up the east side of Flaming Gorge. WY530 and UT44 go up the west side of Flaming Gorge to Green River. Both routes are excellent, but I prefer the eastern route 191 to Rock Springs.
Yes we stayed in Rock Springs that night. I did see Wy530 and UT44 on the west. They look pretty good also. But 191 was great.

#6 ·
You'd be fine to leave the rope plug. Replace the tire when (or before) it nears the tread wear indicators. If you wear it down to the cords, the plug won't have much left to hold it in.
I added a Sykik (SP?) TPMS system and am very happy with it so for. Had it on the bike for a couple of months, now. Others on here have that system as well.
It's nice to know if your tires are inflated when you hop on, or if it feels like it's handling funny. Not expensive, either. Got mine through Ebay.

Reactions: passx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.