FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I went out riding last night hoping to catch a nice sunset West of town. This is usually a great area for that since there's nothing to block the view in either direction. This time the sun just dropped without the typical amazing fiery colors. Just a guess, but the polution may be reduced from recent rains and that's what gives the sky such vivid colors.

This nearly transparent sign on Shooting Range road caught my eye so I stopped for a pic. I heard a rumble off to my right, it was a couple of military helecopters. Wonder where they were headed?

this is the view I expected from that spot.

The Sandia mountains to the East...

And to the West...

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
Great shots, Man!!

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
59 Posts
I miss the Sandias. Such a beautiful mountain. I grew up at the base of the Manzanos (before they developed the shit out of it) and spent many days hiking and exploring. I have traveled all over the world and there is no place on Earth that has sunsets and sunrises like New Mexico. The colors are unreal. The surprising thing is amazing sunsets are not a once-in-a-while thing, they happen every day. Every.Single.Day.

I really wish the state would get their shit together because I would love to move back someday. There are few places that offer the breadth of riding that New Mexico has. Mountains, forests, deserts, plains, etc...Just beautiful.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
The Sandia Crest road is a fun ride, but I've stopped riding it most of the time. Especially after the idiot head-on'd me last year (though on a different road), I don't want to be around the nitwits that want to pretend they're competing in MotoGP or rally racing.

That means I only ride it early in the morning on a weekday, usually. Lowest traffic I can find. Of course, then I also have to be extra careful about deer. The road is in the middle of a forest after all. I've seen deer near the road a couple of times, so far not ON the road, but for me this underscores the importance of (mostly) sticking to the posted speed limits (and even maybe going a bit under when you can't see ahead). Many don't want to, so I try not to be on that road at the same time as those people.

·
Registered
2007 FJR Black Cherry (as if there are any other colors)
59 Posts
The Sandia Crest road is a fun ride, but I've stopped riding it most of the time. Especially after the idiot head-on'd me last year (though on a different road), I don't want to be around the nitwits that want to pretend they're competing in MotoGP or rally racing.

That means I only ride it early in the morning on a weekday, usually. Lowest traffic I can find. Of course, then I also have to be extra careful about deer. The road is in the middle of a forest after all. I've seen deer near the road a couple of times, so far not ON the road, but for me this underscores the importance of (mostly) sticking to the posted speed limits (and even maybe going a bit under when you can't see ahead). Many don't want to, so I try not to be on that road at the same time as those people.
The last time I made that drive to the crest I got about half way through and decided it was enough and headed back. I have taken the back way to Santa Fe (I don't remember the number/name) and found that a very nice ride.

A few years back I was building the SpacePort down by TorC and found some of the back routes around that area rewarding. Very remote and not a bunch of folks. Always a plus when you're alone to enjoy.

·
Registered
2015 FJR-1300ESF
327 Posts
A popular back way to Santa Fe is NM 4, which goes through the Jemez Pueblo, by the Valles Caldera Preserve, and through Bandelier National Monument. Also gets you to Los Alamos, and spits you out a bit north and west of Santa Fe. Suspect that's the road you have in mind.

I like riding the 4 in both directions. There are some entertainingly twisty and steep portions especially on the Los Alamos/White Rock end.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Great shots, Man!!
Thank you.
I have to admit the mountains in the background, as well as the volcanoes in the foreground, look a little disproportionate in that shot. I walked a couple hundred feet back from the bike and used a long focus lens to zoom in. I love the effect from doing that (compression I believe). Occasionally I'll carry a real camera since the phone can't do that very well.

Remember that Will Farrell movie Elf? That compression effect is how he appeared so much bigger than all the other elves.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Yep! Mornings are much more enjoybale on the Crest road. Deer are everywhere up there. Can't even stop for a pic without them photobombing, LOL.

Mornings are also a good time to see turkey up there.

·
Premium Member
2003 FJR1300
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The last time I made that drive to the crest I got about half way through and decided it was enough and headed back. I have taken the back way to Santa Fe (I don't remember the number/name) and found that a very nice ride.

A few years back I was building the SpacePort down by TorC and found some of the back routes around that area rewarding. Very remote and not a bunch of folks. Always a plus when you're alone to enjoy.
That back way to Santa Fe is dubbed the Turquoise Trail scenic byway. Heading through there a while back we saw a rather interesting herd of livestock. There were, among others, longhorn steer, watusi and bison.

The longhorn came up to us and ate the sage I handed it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts